The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

dont worry trust me the grade boundaries will be very low
thought i did badly as well , done like average on essay, C in this bio 5 wuld be great lol
Reply 3321
Anyone able to get hold of the paper?
Reply 3322
I reckon that i have deffo failed :frown: I think i might have done okay in the essay but didnt write about loads of different sections, i just focused on a few sections and made them a bit more 'detaily' lol then i ran out of time so didnt talk about the nitrogen cycle... but unless they lower the boundries then i dont think im getting a B. I would like a C on this paper but havent got a clue what the grade boundries would be for this paper.
Reply 3323
i have a got feeling the boundaries might saty the same and im really scared
cus even though the q's were harder
the essay q's were alot more stratightforward than last year

so maybe it balances i dunno :s
lets hope not
fingers crossed
Reply 3324
Original post by lou12
What did you say for the evidence in the table of the cells being totipotent

i think i put
that totipotent cells have the ability to divide into any tissue or even a whole plant and in the table it showed that the callus(undifferentiated cells) developed into both leaves and plantlets as you would expect totipotent cells to
will i get any marks for this?
Original post by ragnarok9
Hey, I did the cycles question too and I wrote about:

Respiration
Photosynthesis
Nitrogen Cycle
Carbon Cycle
Cell Cycle (mitosis and meiosis)
Oestrous cycle.

I forgot to write about the cardiac cycle and breathing, do you think this will matter? I put loads of detail into the rest and did 5 pages.

hey i did the exact same as you but i did cardiac cycle too. i am unsure though like what level is "detailed" and i also made a mistake in photosynthesis where i put triose phosphate goes to glycerate-3-phospate when its meant to be the other way round :/

i used up whatever paper they gave us.

how did you find the rest of the paper?
Original post by mia613
honestly, i know i've messed mine up because to start off with i wrote a load of irrelevant stuff and then decided to touch on chapter 16 stuff (cystic fibrosis, PCR, genetic fingerprinting, restriction endonucleases) - this was really brief, so im bound to not gain marks...i like tried to cram in as much as i could but completely forgot about GMOs etc :s-smilie: and didnt really use technical terminology (basically ran out of time!)...you sound like you've covered quite a few areas, so i think you're in a good position...there was a 1 marker on working out some percentage stuff about gastric juice? - a LOT of people did a load of calculations...but for just one mark, surely you just analyse the graph an work it out? who knows :s-smilie:

ha I didn't bother spending the time doing calculations for one markers lol I just smart guessed them and that's it. lol I don't how people could choose Cycles when you have so much to talk about on DNA uses lol I'd just flop if I had chosen cycles. :biggrin:DDD lol so Yeah, Good luck , hope you get your A* ! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3327
Original post by choc1234
i think i put
that totipotent cells have the ability to divide into any tissue or even a whole plant and in the table it showed that the callus(undifferentiated cells) developed into both leaves and plantlets as you would expect totipotent cells to
will i get any marks for this?

Thats exactly what i wrote. i think we'll get the marks. :smile:
I don't how people could choose Cycles when you have so much to talk about on DNA uses lol I'd just flop if I had chosen cycles

Basically everything in biology is a cycle lots of biol 5 was, like sliding filament theory, synapses and action potentials, so it was all fresh in my mind :smile:. You could also talk about ATP and phosphocreatine synthesis etc. I would have hated to have done the DNA one, I wouldn't know where to start :P
Reply 3329
in that graph which stage did ovulation occur, A or B?
oestrogen was at maximum in A but then it increases LH productions so is it in B where ovulation occurs??
Original post by joe__
You believe you got 140? Shut the **** up.
Didn't you say in a previous thread you "believe" you're going to get 100 and 140 respectively?

Why did you resit them? Shame you didn't get full ums the first time in the other two units. Now sit the **** down.

Somebody needs to take a chill pill I think.

As it happens, I already had an A for as Biology, but I resat to take the pressure of Biol5. May I suggest to get your facts right, before running your mouth on TSR.

Maybe it was insensitive for me to say that I thought I did really well, but why are you taking such issue with it? Especially since I extended more best wishes to your success?
Original post by Kill312
in that graph which stage did ovulation occur, A or B?
oestrogen was at maximum in A but then it increases LH productions so is it in B where ovulation occurs??

It was B. If I remember correctly, it was because LH levels were at a peak.
Reply 3332
Original post by Benevolence
It was B. If I remember correctly, it was because LH levels were at a peak.

I got B too :smile: x
Original post by clairen886
I don't how people could choose Cycles when you have so much to talk about on DNA uses lol I'd just flop if I had chosen cycles

Basically everything in biology is a cycle lots of biol 5 was, like sliding filament theory, synapses and action potentials, so it was all fresh in my mind :smile:. You could also talk about ATP and phosphocreatine synthesis etc. I would have hated to have done the DNA one, I wouldn't know where to start :P

lol glad we are both satisfied with our choices then :smile:. The only cycle I could remember when I saw that cycle question was the nitro/carbon cycle LOL seriously I am such a flop in bio. Oh well, I am done with AQA. :biggrin:
Original post by sagill1
I got B too :smile: x

YEAH high FIVE for the one marker I got right. :biggrin:
Reply 3335
Original post by RodrigoB
lol glad we are both satisfied with our choices then :smile:. The only cycle I could remember when I saw that cycle question was the nitro/carbon cycle LOL seriously I am such a flop in bio. Oh well, I am done with AQA. :biggrin:

OMG! i also thought of only the carbon and nitrogen cycle when i first read it! and LOL, i deteste AQA (still got three OCR exams to go though :frown: )
Reply 3336
Original post by Benevolence
LOL.

Neg repping my post, aaaaah, the best comeback.

I won't be suprised if you don't get 140, why didnt you get 100 in biol4? Really? LOOL HAHAHAA failure.
Reply 3337
does any1 remeber a question about the rate of diffusion and kenetic energy of something, or was that just me getting another question wrong? lol
Original post by ragnarok9
Hey, I did the cycles question too and I wrote about:

Respiration
Photosynthesis
Nitrogen Cycle
Carbon Cycle
Cell Cycle (mitosis and meiosis)
Oestrous cycle.

I forgot to write about the cardiac cycle and breathing, do you think this will matter? I put loads of detail into the rest and did 5 pages.

Hey guys I've got a mark scheme for 'Cycles in biology' from a past AQA paper, it's in four sections and you've got to mention one of each for the breadth.

Ecological cycles - nitrogen cycle (individual species are not required); carbon cycle (role of species making it available again)
Metabolic cycles - krebs cycle; electron transport chain; synthesis and breakdown of ATP; LIR
Physiological cycles - negative feedback mechanisms; cardiac cycle; muscles; nerve function
Life cycles - mitosis/cell cycle; meiosis; DNA replication; predator/prey

I didn't do this one though, if I was 6 UMS of an A at AS what do I need in both my A2 exams to get an A? I got an B/A for the A2 coursework on last years boundaries (: If the grade boundaries are lower how does this affect the overall target for an A? Thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3339
hey in my essay i included
cardiac
krebs
calvin
muscles
carbon
nitrogen
cell cycle
predator prey
homeostasis
ostrous
in alot of detail i think 9 /10 pages
is it possible to get 25 cus i really need it to make up for the 0 marks i got on the questions
also i didnt include anything outside the spec

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending