The Student Room Group

AQA - Unit 5 - Energetics, Redox and Inorganic Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Could someone possibly draw the Born Haber cycle of June 2010 paper and illustrate the answer? I don't understand them in the new papers. Which is weird! :frown:
Reply 941
Original post by jwest
ahh ok thanks for that, so you get more molecules on products cos the reaction might be for example

[Cu(h20)6]2+ + [EDTA]4- ---> [Cu(EDTA)]2- + 6h20

2 molecules goes to 7 molecules hence the increase the entropy...is that along what you were saying?

Yes thats exactly it!
It is a reversible reaction but the reverse reaction would make less particles, which means theres a decrease in entropy so its not very likely to occur. So you basically assume its only a forward reaction because the equilibrium is so far to the product side. Hope that helped.
Reply 942
coolio, thats 3/4 marks out of 100 nailed....makes an A slightly more achieveable, i guess
entropy is just such a bitch when i try and thing about it all i remember is brian cox making sandcastles!
Reply 943
Original post by jwest
coolio, thats 3/4 marks out of 100 nailed....makes an A slightly more achieveable, i guess
entropy is just such a bitch when i try and thing about it all i remember is brian cox making sandcastles!

hahaha me too. I didnt really get it until i watched that.
Reply 944
Original post by jwest

Our teacher whacked out some really old entropy videos too haha
Reply 945
Is it just me who finds the mark-scheme so fricking specific: bond pair, alternative route, covalent and molecular etc.?
Original post by JK471993
Is it just me who finds the mark-scheme so fricking specific: bond pair, alternative route, covalent and molecular etc.?

Out of all the units I find this one to be the most specific! :mad2: The book content is pretty vague on this unit! :mad2:
Reply 947
Original post by JK471993

i dunno, sometimes it is but sometimes for the colours of complex ions, its really vague and you can get away with quite alot so mix and match i guess
Reply 948
Original post by a23m
I think it maybe one of those things you just have to learn. Periodicity is immensely boring, theres not a lot of theory, just memory.

I'd suggest remembering it as...
ionic on the left of the periodic table (sodium and magnesium)
and
covalent on the right of the periodic table
Aluminium is a funny one though, its a bit of both!

It really is! I don't mind the other stuff but I hate periodicity :/ Ah thanks, that actually helped! :smile:
Reply 949
Original post by Anon1993
Hahaha :tongue: S'okay - i know the feeling :tongue:
but ionic, ionic, both, giant covalent, simple, simple. .
Make up your own rhyme? :tongue:

:/ I read it back and thought what on earth... Haha
Okay got it, I just sung it to myself, hopefully I remember it! LOL thank you :smile:
Hows everyone getting on?? :biggrin:
Reply 951
Original post by Sparkly-Star
Out of all the units I find this one to be the most specific! :mad2: The book content is pretty vague on this unit! :mad2:

I agree :/ i've just been doing some papers and am looking at the mark scheme going WTF? never heard of that before! :frown:
Thank god I only need a really low grade in this, im terrible at it!
Original post by strawberry_cake
Hows everyone getting on?? :biggrin:

Im just working on my timing with papers now,

how about you?
Reply 953
what sort of marks did people get on the jan 11 past paper?! i find it so hard! theres too many equations for this unit
Original post by SashaLuLu
what sort of marks did people get on the jan 11 past paper?! i find it so hard! theres too many equations for this unit

I got 81, just below an A*! haha :smile:
heyy can anyone post the jan 11 paper and markscheme please? :smile:
Original post by Arab_Empress
Im just working on my timing with papers now,

how about you?

I only started papers today and didnt have enough time to do them so just read through them.. I hope they've settled in :cry2: I think I'm gonna go through the spec now and go through the 'leftovers'. Chem5's boring me :frown: How are you finding the papers? :smile: The old spec were a lot easier then the new ones i think :/
It's funny how I've not learnt about the perfect ionic model from my book.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending