The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
Thanks :biggrin: It was from the tutors at the college, I think the different colleges are all sending them out at different times.

Yeah, I've had mine for months! Haven't started any of the books yet, although I've bought En Attendant Godot & Phèdre to get me started on recommendation from the Head Tutor of French at St. John's. He's lovely. :smile:

Have we all got the same books? Or does the course vary from college to college?

Still haven't received anything for Linguistics yet though. :dontknow:
Hi guys,
My exams went well enough that I'm confident I'll be filling my offer to read PPE at Oriel.
I'd be very grateful if anyone could post a recommended reading list for this year :smile:
Looks like I'll be working hard this summer.
But then 'peace was never an option' :P

Congratulations to everyone, I hope to meet some of you later this year :smile:
Reply 1882
Heya,

I've just had a quick look at the virtual tour on Lincoln's website. I have fallen in love again. I cannot believe that I might (please, examiners, please let me pass!) be studying there! You should take a look, 'tis gorgeous.

And for any University College fans, they've posted a video tour on youtube (link on the article page of studentroom) that I enjoyed. The memorial to Shelley...Best inspiration for aspiring poets ever!!!
Reply 1883
Original post by zigzog7
Thanks, you too :smile: must remember I am not to talk about the exams I did today lol

well without talking about them i hope they went/go well!
Original post by John Major
Hi guys,
My exams went well enough that I'm confident I'll be filling my offer to read PPE at Oriel.
I'd be very grateful if anyone could post a recommended reading list for this year :smile:
Looks like I'll be working hard this summer.
But then 'peace was never an option' :P

Congratulations to everyone, I hope to meet some of you later this year :smile:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_175381512493319&ap=1

Here's the PPE facebook group.

There are two reading lists posted, from Merton and Exeter respectively. I'll add you as soon as you make the request.
Original post by jenny18
Heya,

I've just had a quick look at the virtual tour on Lincoln's website. I have fallen in love again. I cannot believe that I might (please, examiners, please let me pass!) be studying there! You should take a look, 'tis gorgeous.

And for any University College fans, they've posted a video tour on youtube (link on the article page of studentroom) that I enjoyed. The memorial to Shelley...Best inspiration for aspiring poets ever!!!

I'll have a look at the video - thanks Jenny :smile:
Anyone willing to copy out/ scan the French reading list? Even though i'm not confident i'll make the grades I want to read them anyway and my college doesn't send them out til mid August and i'm away all summer... thanks!
Original post by Lucy23
well without talking about them i hope they went/go well!

Yep, me too, cant talk about FP2 until midnight can we. Bleh 3 exams tomorrow :frown:
Reply 1888
Original post by zigzog7
Yep, me too, cant talk about FP2 until midnight can we. Bleh 3 exams tomorrow :frown:

4:30 man. Damn that sukcs, good luck
Original post by Lucy23
4:30 man. Damn that sukcs, good luck

No midnight, it was a morning exam. its 4:30 if its an afternoon exam.
Original post by dbmag9
I still don't have a reading list for M&P, but I'm trying to get into some reading in German (classics, fiction, non-fiction, poetry, whatever). Any recommendations?

I am German, and I don't like reading German, but here are what came off the top of my head of a mixture of classic and stuff I've like d and read. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Poetry: Goethe and Schiller, Brecht, Heine, Rilke (der panther is a CLASSIC).
Plays: Brecht again is a classic (I liked the good man from szechuan), Faust, and Spring Awakening
Classic Novels: Effi Briest, anything by Mann (it's painful and I wouldn't recommend it but some people love him), then I loved Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
Cornelia Funke writes good young adult/kid lit (she wrote Inkheart and co), or Perfume by Patrick Süskind
Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts
I'm actually planning to pick up German again (not done it since GCSE but did 6 years worth of it) so I can read some Kant and Mises, and perhaps Wittgenstein, but this is probably a much longer term project than I care to admit...my German is nowhere near that standard. You'll have to tell me how you find Kant. :tongue:

It's good to hear that you're enjoying it to so much :smile: I have theses repeated shocks of "I shouldn't be doing this" because I find my reading list so uninspiring. I wouldn't read a single one of the many many many by choice. I mean... what am I even doing? I don't even like studying literature! I just... argh. :O Nevermind... ANYWAY!

Good luck on picking up German again! Sounds like a great idea :smile: I'm also hoping to pick up some extra languages while I'm at Uni.

I don't really think it will lend you much more understanding in the sense of 'reading the original words is better' if you read it in German, simply because the translations are so good, other than possibly gaining an additional angle to the major terms if you look at the various translations. For example, some of the words Freud practically invented have a subtly different meaning when you look at how they're composed in German compared to English.

And it might be a bit too hard, though obviously you are clearly a very dedicated and competent person! I just mean that -- well, I'm a fluent (i.e. mother-tongue) German speaker and I struggled a lot even with the Communist Manifesto which is pretty short and familiar.

Not trying to put you off, just saying you could probably put your German skills to better use than rereading in German something you've already read in English. It'd probably be interesting in that it'll widen the field of scholarly books, so you can get more views and opinions of Kant-scholars who have not had their works translated into English. So I'd concentrate on reading articles and papers in German Philosophy, Politics and Economics journals. I'm all for learning languages!
Original post by barefootfiona
I am German, and I don't like reading German, but here are what came off the top of my head of a mixture of classic and stuff I've like d and read. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Poetry: Goethe and Schiller, Brecht, Heine, Rilke (der panther is a CLASSIC).
Plays: Brecht again is a classic (I liked the good man from szechuan), Faust, and Spring Awakening
Classic Novels: Effi Briest, anything by Mann (it's painful and I wouldn't recommend it but some people love him), then I loved Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
Cornelia Funke writes good young adult/kid lit (she wrote Inkheart and co), or Perfume by Patrick Süskind

Yeah, if you like Dickens then you'd like Mann. I love him :biggrin:
Assuming we all get in, will people be arriving with parents on the first day, or coming alone?
Reply 1894
Original post by 04ghicks
Assuming we all get in, will people be arriving with parents on the first day, or coming alone?

I'll be arriving with my dad (hopefully - purely because his jeep would be the best way of transporting all my stuff to Ox!) I don't know whether he'd be hanging round for long though, I think it would be easier to meet other students without hovering parents..
Original post by 04ghicks

Parents just to help cart kit down there I think :smile:
Thanks Philosopher-of-sorts :smile:
Original post by Comet Andromeda
Hey, i'm going to St. Hilda's too! :biggrin:

Hiya! Sorry it's taken me so long to reply - exams are FINALLY over :smile: Which course are you doing / what's your name? x
Original post by BeritV
Heeey and me tooo (unless I screwed up the history paper yesterday, which is possible)

Hellooo - sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I finally got my exams finished yesterday! I'm sure you didn't screw up history :smile: Which course are you doing at Oxford / what's your name? It would be good to know some more people before I turn up haha x
Reply 1899
Original post by ~ Ellen Timothy ~
Hellooo - sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I finally got my exams finished yesterday! I'm sure you didn't screw up history :smile: Which course are you doing at Oxford / what's your name? It would be good to know some more people before I turn up haha x

I'm hopefully gonna do PPE and my name's Zuzana :wink:
yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending