The Student Room Group

AQA - Unit 5 - Energetics, Redox and Inorganic Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by choc1234
how do you know when to write h2o and h+ in cell diagrams?

If its in the original half equation you add it in the cell diagram.
Reply 1061
Anyone have any ideas how to do question 3bi in the specimen paper? I thought it was V3+ as the species present, but its clearly not!??
Reply 1062
Original post by NRican
Cr with excess NH3 is insoluble right?

?

Book says CrNH306 is a purple soln??
Original post by Ebony_x
Anyone have any ideas how to do question 3bi in the specimen paper? I thought it was V3+ as the species present, but its clearly not!??

See post number 113 (page 6) :smile:
Off to sleep, good luck everyone :smile:
Original post by Ebony_x
Yeah they do alright! Hope we get a good paper tomorrow! :redface:

Good Luck!
Reply 1066
Original post by SittingOnCornflakes
Good Luck!

Good luck to you as well! :smile:
I'm getting tired. :frown:
Original post by Luke0011

Me too, don't give up, it's almost over. :hugs:

(Hello fellow med applicant :jive:)
Original post by Sparkly-Star
Me too, don't give up, it's almost over. :hugs:

(Hello fellow med applicant :jive:)

I'm a REapplicant now haha!

I may be going to sleep soon, i think i've done enough revision! if i dont know it now i wont know it tomorrow! :P
Reply 1070
Original post by jimmy303
See post number 113 (page 6) :smile:

Wow you an absolute genius to work that out thanks and repped! :biggrin:
I wouldnt of thought of it like that, I just see V2+ as reducing agent and that gets oxised into v3+, but this clearly just keeps getting oxidsed.. dont quite get how MnO2 can do this though?
I'm a REapplicant now haha!

I may be going to sleep soon, i think i've done enough revision! if i dont know it now i wont know it tomorrow! :P

Aww yeah, I wish I could've taken a gap year, I'm just going for my back-up. Good luck tomorrow. Yeah haha that's why I am going over it once more before bed and once more before exam tomorrow. Too much to remember. :p:
What do we need to know about non/rehargeable/fuel etc cells? Can someone please summarise the main points?? The spec isn't clear enough :/ Thanks :smile:
quick peeps
(Al(OH)4)^-..or...(Al(OH)6)^3-
Original post by strawberry_cake
What do we need to know about non/rehargeable/fuel etc cells? Can someone please summarise the main points?? The spec isn't clear enough :/ Thanks :smile:

textbook says we dont need to know them in detail so..i don't anyway :tongue: spec just says "appreciate", i think tey'll just give us something to apply knowledge of electrochemical cells to,not ask "what is a daniell cell " or someething. well hopefully anyway :L

Me too :frown:

Original post by Sparkly-Star
Aww yeah, I wish I could've taken a gap year, I'm just going for my back-up. Good luck tomorrow. Yeah haha that's why I am going over it once more before bed and once more before exam tomorrow. Too much to remember. :p:

Aw what happened to the all nighter?? :tongue: although I'm getting very tired too, I think its just the boringness of chem5 :/ I still have chaps 13-16 to review over and mod1 :cry2:

EDIT : And that table.. I can never remember the colours :frown:
Reply 1076
Gooooodnight; too much chemistry in my head. It hurts.
Original post by chrissyyip
quick peeps
(Al(OH)4)^-..or...(Al(OH)6)^3-

1st
Original post by Ebony_x
Wow you an absolute genius to work that out thanks and repped! :biggrin:
I wouldnt of thought of it like that, I just see V2+ as reducing agent and that gets oxised into v3+, but this clearly just keeps getting oxidsed.. dont quite get how MnO2 can do this though?

It's like when you add zinc and HCl to Cr2O7(2-)

Cr2O7(2-) is reduced to Cr3+ (orange to green) and is then oxidised again by zinc and HCl to Cr2+ (blue) though this is unstable and oxidises back to Cr3+ if air is present.

In the question it says MnO4- is in excess so although some is used up to oxidise V2+ to V3+ (making Mn2+) there is still some MnO4- left over.

Remember to check the electrode potentials. The MnO4-/Mn2+ electrode is more positive than all the reactions involving vanadium ions so MnO4- will always oxidise any vanadium ions present :smile:
Reply 1079
Why are some electron affinity endo and some exo?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending