The Student Room Group

AQA - Unit 5 - Energetics, Redox and Inorganic Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by strawberry_cake
Same :frown: I just finished with periodicity, I always forget the acid base titrations :redface: Right, by 1 I'm gonna get through the last two chaps AND the table..or so I say lol..then read over my notes and the new papers then sleep by ummm...half 2? :/ What time will you be getting up? :smile:

ohh and I'm yet to go through mod1 :mad:

:mad2: haha I really like this

Sorry to butt in on your conversation, but I'm a bit concerned, what is mod1?
Reply 1101
Cheers :biggrin: Yeh I sort of cheated and just learnt the ones that change lol, but the colour really confuse me..I keep forgetting them, I think I'll try doing your method and see if it works..hopefully just hopefully it will.. ;D Also, for Al with xs NaOH, is it [Al(OH)4(H20)2]- or something else? The mark scheme say something different and I have this written down :/ What work are you doing now? Reckon it'll all be done by 1?? :smile:

It's Al(OH)4-, I think for the same reasons you can only get 4 chloride ions around an ion.

Original post by joseph2008
Do we need to know CoCl4 FeCl4 and CuCl4 Colours?

I think just that CuCl4 is yellow.
Reply 1102
Do we need to know CoCl4 FeCl4 and CuCl4 Colours?

i think it's just cocl4 and cucl4 1st one is blue and the second is yellow-green
need help! que Q5a jan2011
Hey guys! I'm about to go to bed but I though I'd share a bit of a silly way to remember some of the colours :smile:

Well, it's the M3+ ones anyway :smile:

Most of the chromium ions are greenium! Apart from the hexaaqua one which is Cr-uby :biggrin: and the XS ammonia one is purple but I have no way of remembering that one :L
Aluminium is Al, a boring white man who's colourless when he goes swimming.
And just like JD and Turk off Scrubs, Al needs a brown best friend and that is all of the Fe3+ compounds (apart from the hexaaqua one)

Lol, I know, it's awful. It might stick in your heads though :biggrin:

Good luck everyone, fingers crossed for a nice paper! :smile:
Reply 1105
Reply 1106
Good luck people, hope it goes well!
Anyone pulling an all nighter? :p:
Same :frown: I just finished with periodicity, I always forget the acid base titrations :redface: Right, by 1 I'm gonna get through the last two chaps AND the table..or so I say lol..then read over my notes and the new papers then sleep by ummm...half 2? :/ What time will you be getting up? :smile:

ohh and I'm yet to go through mod1 :mad:

:mad2: haha I really like this

I am gonna try to get up at 6, because I know for a fact that I'll probably have forgotten what I learn the last 2 days!!
I wanna read over synoptic but I don't have time! I should know unit 2 as I retook it but I don't lol haha. :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Sorry to butt in on your conversation, but I'm a bit concerned, what is mod1?

ohh I meant chem1.. Just incase some random synoptic thing comes up.. :frown:

Original post by Clewsy
It's Al(OH)4-, I think for the same reasons you can only get 4 chloride ions around an ion.

thank you :smile: can you please tell me what the overall equation will be?:smile:
Original post by colabottles
Hey guys! I'm about to go to bed but I though I'd share a bit of a silly way to remember some of the colours :smile:

Well, it's the M3+ ones anyway :smile:

Most of the chromium ions are greenium! Apart from the hexaaqua one which is Cr-uby :biggrin: and the XS ammonia one is purple but I have no way of remembering that one :L
Aluminium is Al, a boring white man who's colourless when he goes swimming.
And just like JD and Turk off Scrubs, Al needs a brown best friend and that is all of the Fe3+ compounds (apart from the hexaaqua one)

Lol, I know, it's awful. It might stick in your heads though :biggrin:

Good luck everyone, fingers crossed for a nice paper! :smile:

I got felt tip pens and copied the tables in the book in the colours it said. Ended up with a nice colourful table which I can visualise in the exam and at least get the colours right, if I screw up the equations. :smile:

Your way is catchy though! :biggrin:
Formation of coloured ions - appreciate that this absorption of visible light is used in spectrometry to determine the conc of coloured ion.

So we don't really need to know the method or anything in detail do we? :/
Reply 1112
Formation of coloured ions - appreciate that this absorption of visible light is used in spectrometry to determine the conc of coloured ion.

So we don't really need to know the method or anything in detail do we? :/

I think we have to know E=hv to work out the difference in energy levels.
1.b.ii Juen 2010, I don't understand how to do the Born - Haber cycle or even without it. It makes no sense to me AT ALL.
Original post by Sparkly-Star
1.b.ii Juen 2010, I don't understand how to do the Born - Haber cycle or even without it. It makes no sense to me AT ALL.

I'm gonna miss the born harber q's! I can never get my head round it?
You pulling an all nighter?
Does anyone kno what the titration curve for ethanedioate ions with manganate ions look like,??

it was in jan 10 paper

ANYONE? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1116
I am so so so mega scared for this exam it's UNREAL =(

I know my stuff. I think. I've spent two days going over and over my notes and reams of past paper questions plus mark schemes but I trust AQA about as much as a noble gas reacts... urghh

I need to sleep otherwise I'm gonna make silly mistakes tomorrow as usual. But i haven't done any of the actual past papers. (stupid I know but I've done loads of practice questions) should I do the 3 papers or go to sleep? someone decide for me?
Original post by Seher
I am so so so mega scared for this exam it's UNREAL =(

I know my stuff. I think. I've spent two days going over and over my notes and reams of past paper questions plus mark schemes but I trust AQA about as much as a noble gas reacts... urghh

I need to sleep otherwise I'm gonna make silly mistakes tomorrow as usual. But i haven't done any of the actual past papers. (stupid I know but I've done loads of practice questions) should I do the 3 papers or go to sleep? someone decide for me?

Im assuming the past paper questions ARE from past papers, so theyre equivelant I guess...
born haber isnt too bad, you just remember to draw it clockwise, and they will only ask you for lattice enthalpies, so remember, formation, atmomisation( usually non metal first), ionisation, affinity then dissociation or formation lattice enthallpy
Reply 1119
Original post by Arab_Empress
Im assuming the past paper questions ARE from past papers, so theyre equivelant I guess...

they're from legacy/old spec papers from the relevant topics...

Quick Reply

Latest