The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dmz
:yep: and you chose CD over me :hmmm:

And I'm not even going to get to live there :frown: I got put in Cottingham hospital (near Hull) so now I have to make the decision whether I want to live there for the 3 days of the week I'll be at the hospital, or in Leeds for the 2 days of the week I'll have lectures.... :frown: why couldn't it be simple?!! Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have gotten Cottingham (it's an excellent hospital for Cardiology, especially the research side of things - world class) but travelling will be a b***h one way or the other :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2001
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
And I'm not even going to get to live there :frown: I got put in Cottingham hospital (near Hull) so now I have to make the decision whether I want to live there for the 3 days of the week I'll be at the hospital, or in Leeds for the 2 days of the week I'll have lectures.... :frown: why couldn't it be simple?!! Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have gotten Cottingham (it's an excellent hospital for Cardiology, especially the research side of things - world class) but travelling will be a b***h one way or the other :wink:

waa! :zomg: hull? How many hour drive is that? You defo sticking to CD then? Guess i won't see you then? :awesome:
e: ignore my stupid question, live in Leeds and you get an awesome nightlife and you're only travelling between Leeds and hull 2 more journeys than vice versa? That might be a lot to you tho :tongue: get me a job there and I'll come with you haha
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi all :smile:

Leeds is my innsurance choice but I will probs end up going, and I've applied for Clarence Dock as my accommodation. Now we can change our choices up until July 1st so I would really appreciate any comments about Clarence Dock - what's it like, what to do, what not to do etc. Thank you so much :smile:

Any questions include -
How far is it from the Uni?
Is it always booked up?
And so on.

Cheers.
Reply 2003
30mins walk to uni, 15 to city centre. Has a cool bar on site

i need a life
Original post by dmz
waa! :zomg: hull? How many hour drive is that? You defo sticking to CD then? Guess i won't see you then? :awesome:
e: ignore my stupid question, live in Leeds and you get an awesome nightlife and you're only travelling between Leeds and hull 2 more journeys than vice versa? That might be a lot to you tho :tongue: get me a job there and I'll come with you haha

Ha, no, not CD anymore :frown: worried I'll end up a social outcast! I can't decide yet, got to weigh some stuff up and see about costs (I'll definitely need a car, it's about a 1 hr 20 min drive each way :s-smilie:) I'll see if they need any lab rats, or maybe just people for me to test catheters on :wink:

Original post by ojpearson
Hi all :smile:

Leeds is my innsurance choice but I will probs end up going, and I've applied for Clarence Dock as my accommodation. Now we can change our choices up until July 1st so I would really appreciate any comments about Clarence Dock - what's it like, what to do, what not to do etc. Thank you so much :smile:

Any questions include -
How far is it from the Uni?
Is it always booked up?
And so on.

Cheers.

CD is lovely, it's very handy for the town centre but the distance to the Uni puts a lot of people off. It's about 20 mins on the bus (I think one every 20 mins or so) to Uni or 30-45 mins walking (though this depends on how fast you walk). Cycling is an option but a little scary with the buses around and sometimes the cycle paths just seem to end... the actual accommodation is really nice - modern rooms (some bigger than others) all en-suite, nice bar, small gym (nothing amazing, just basics really) and close to the canal and the Clarence Dock shops/bars (though some of these have closed because of the recession). It's the place I chose to go but I won't be able to now :frown: it isn't generally over subscribed because, as I said, the distance tends to put people off.
Reply 2005
Ha, no, not CD anymore :frown: worried I'll end up a social outcast! I can't decide yet, got to weigh some stuff up and see about costs (I'll definitely need a car, it's about a 1 hr 20 min drive each way :s-smilie:) I'll see if they need any lab rats, or maybe just people for me to test catheters on :wink:

With girls you can tell with most if they're 19 or 24, so you'd get away with it, i don't know :dontknow: Haha that would be cool, gotta do all i can for GEM
CD is lovely, it's very handy for the town centre but the distance to the Uni puts a lot of people off. It's about 20 mins on the bus (I think one every 20 mins or so) to Uni or 30-45 mins walking (though this depends on how fast you walk). Cycling is an option but a little scary with the buses around and sometimes the cycle paths just seem to end... the actual accommodation is really nice - modern rooms (some bigger than others) all en-suite, nice bar, small gym (nothing amazing, just basics really) and close to the canal and the Clarence Dock shops/bars (though some of these have closed because of the recession). It's the place I chose to go but I won't be able to now :frown: it isn't generally over subscribed because, as I said, the distance tends to put people off.

Ah thank you very much for the quick response. 20 mins on the bus does seem a long way. :/

Would you reccommend that I change choices to something nearer - I it's not as if I am huugely worried about accommodation, just something easy + shared kitchen really. :smile:

CD does sound really nice, though. Thanks!
Original post by dmz
Leodis has post grads as well

i know, but when i went round that didnt say that it was ainly for postgrads, thye did at sentinel, they told me that this accomodation has more postgrads so its quiter.... but oh well x
Original post by ojpearson
Ah thank you very much for the quick response. 20 mins on the bus does seem a long way. :/

Would you reccommend that I change choices to something nearer - I it's not as if I am huugely worried about accommodation, just something easy + shared kitchen really. :smile:

CD does sound really nice, though. Thanks!

James Baillie is really nice but very over-subscribed - I wouldn't recommend there because of that really. Leodis is ok but the one that I would have gone for instead of CD possibly is The Tannery - it's getting all refurbished, including the downstairs bar/common area. The rooms and en-suites are nice and modern and you get a (small - 4 ft) double bed :smile: it's only 10/15 mins walk to both the Uni and to town, so pretty well located. It is also surrounded by several other halls of residence, so lots of other students around. Only downfall I can see is thatt he area itself isn't fantastic, bit of a run down local area but not really horrible, just not great either :wink:
James Baillie is really nice but very over-subscribed - I wouldn't recommend there because of that really. Leodis is ok but the one that I would have gone for instead of CD possibly is The Tannery - it's getting all refurbished, including the downstairs bar/common area. The rooms and en-suites are nice and modern and you get a (small - 4 ft) double bed :smile: it's only 10/15 mins walk to both the Uni and to town, so pretty well located. It is also surrounded by several other halls of residence, so lots of other students around. Only downfall I can see is thatt he area itself isn't fantastic, bit of a run down local area but not really horrible, just not great either :wink:

Brilliant, thank you. I would rate that a "positive" or whatever it's called but apparently I've used as many as I'm allowed today :smile:
Reply 2010
is clarence dock good?
Reply 2011

Sentinel Towers is aimed more at those wanting a quieter environment to live in, Leodis isn't. That is the main difference between the two as far as I see it :smile:

Hi, postgrad international student here. do you have any recommendations? :smile:

I'd love to be in a peaceful environment but with social life as well (afraid i'll be with unsociable people)

Also, what made you say Sentinel is a quieter environment compared to Leodis? Is it because of the mix of students? :smile:
Original post by Asian3
Hi, postgrad international student here. do you have any recommendations? :smile:

I'd love to be in a peaceful environment but with social life as well (afraid i'll be with unsociable people)

Also, what made you say Sentinel is a quieter environment compared to Leodis? Is it because of the mix of students? :smile:

If you want a quieter environment then somewhere like Greyson Heights or Sentinel Towers are probably the safest bets, though some other accommodations like Montague Burton do have "quiet" blocks. I don't think any halls is going to be completely unsociable but it is always going to be a gamble who you end up in a flat with. I think the best thing about somewhere quiet is that you can always go out and meet friends from your course or from societies that you have joined, but you still have somewhere to go back to so that you can sleep or study :smile: these halls are said to be quieter because that is what the University of Leeds has designated them as. If the University goes around saying "these are the quiet halls - only go here if you want somewhere without parties 24 hours a day, 7 days a week" then this will come true, as the people who will want to live in these halls will be the people who want that kind of environment. The same with the University saying that Sentinel Towers is popular with international students - if people see that it says that then it is more likely to appeal to international students, making it a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy :wink: I would say that all the halls at Leeds are really good for different reasons but those are probably the better ones for a quiet environment. If you don't like the look of them then try for the quiet blocks in the other residences?
Hi :biggrin:
I´m currently holding a conditional offer to the Biology course starting this fall, and have just applied for accomodation. I want to stay in the Charles Morris Complex, and I also wrote that I would like an ensuite room at Storm Jameson Court :P I know it's a bit more expensive, but the 4ft double beds seemed really nice, so I just couldn't resist xD Could anyone tell me a a little about how the Charles Morris building is in general? I know it's close to/on campus, that is the nr.1 reason I wanted to stay there + it seemed quite new and nice, but any additional information would be great! Oh I sooo hope I manage to meet the conditions of my offer! Finished with all my IB exams, and I think it went well, but I won't know for sure until July 7th.... : ( well well......
Oh and one more question! Does anyone know if it is hard to get a room at Charles Morris building (storm jameson)? I mean is it popular? I'm an international student (from Norway), so I will pay international fees and all that stuff....
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by pepperkake92
Hi :biggrin:
I´m currently holding a conditional offer to the Biology course starting this fall, and have just applied for accomodation. I want to stay in the Charles Morris Complex, and I also wrote that I would like an ensuite room at Storm Jameson Court :P I know it's a bit more expensive, but the 4ft double beds seemed really nice, so I just couldn't resist xD Could anyone tell me a a little about how the Charles Morris building is in general? I know it's close to/on campus, that is the nr.1 reason I wanted to stay there + it seemed quite new and nice, but any additional information would be great! Oh I sooo hope I manage to meet the conditions of my offer! Finished with all my IB exams, and I think it went well, but I won't know for sure until July 7th.... : ( well well......
Oh and one more question! Does anyone know if it is hard to get a room at Charles Morris building (storm jameson)? I mean is it popular? I'm an international student (from Norway), so I will pay international fees and all that stuff....

hello :smile:
i've applied to the same place.

it's a brand new (opened last year) building. looks really modern, big fully fitted kitchens and common room with table tennis, pool etc.
it's on campus, very close to the student union and refectory.
bedrooms have lots of storage and nice ensuites.
i think it is quite popular but you might have a good chance getting your first choice because you're international. though i'm not sure if that's how it works.

good luck with your exams!! :h:
Original post by HappyMeal

Original post by HappyMeal
hello :smile:
i've applied to the same place.

it's a brand new (opened last year) building. looks really modern, big fully fitted kitchens and common room with table tennis, pool etc.
it's on campus, very close to the student union and refectory.
bedrooms have lots of storage and nice ensuites.
i think it is quite popular but you might have a good chance getting your first choice because you're international. though i'm not sure if that's how it works.

good luck with your exams!! :h:

Thanks! Which course have you applied for? and do you have/ are you waiting for an offer / grades and so on? I think my exams went well, but my school Frederik II is really new at the IB, so it's difficult to know! the IB was -.-, so I really hope I'm getting in at Leeds, I mean the reason I chose the IB was to go to a uni in England so.... if not I will be going to The Norwegian University of Science and Technology, which is a good uni, but well.... It's NOT LEEDS, and it's in NORWAY -.- xD I so want to go to Leeds now, that I'm going to cry for months if I didn't do well enough on the exams.... -.- and everybody complains about the rain in England and so on... Try deep snow and ice for about 5 months every year! OH YEAH! I'm seeing lots of rain as an upgrade :biggrin: xD
Original post by pepperkake92
Thanks! Which course have you applied for? and do you have/ are you waiting for an offer / grades and so on? I think my exams went well, but my school Frederik II is really new at the IB, so it's difficult to know! the IB was -.-, so I really hope I'm getting in at Leeds, I mean the reason I chose the IB was to go to a uni in England so.... if not I will be going to The Norwegian University of Science and Technology, which is a good uni, but well.... It's NOT LEEDS, and it's in NORWAY -.- xD I so want to go to Leeds now, that I'm going to cry for months if I didn't do well enough on the exams.... -.- and everybody complains about the rain in England and so on... Try deep snow and ice for about 5 months every year! OH YEAH! I'm seeing lots of rain as an upgrade :biggrin: xD

i've got an unconditional for dentistry because i'm a graduate.
i hope your exams did go well and you start leeds in september :biggrin:
lol! i don't think i could handle 5 months of snow, i'm bursting for some sun! :tongue:
aww don't cry i'm sure you tried your best, so you will get in!!
and soon we will be moving into our accommodations :woohoo:
'accomoffice'
x

In the 'Other Influencing Factors' box, can we put that we don't want a ground floor flat? Will this be picked up by the system?

Original post by Bella Occhi
In the 'Other Influencing Factors' box, can we put that we don't want a ground floor flat? Will this be picked up by the system?

The system can't pick it up but hopefully the relavant Warden and Accommodation Assistant, who review the computerised allocations, will see it and may be able to take it into account.
Original post by Bella Occhi

From what I've heard girls aren't put in ground floor flats very often anyway due to security issues. However, if you wanted to add this in there and say that it was due to concerns along those lines I'm sure that would be fine :smile:

Latest