The Student Room Group

WJEC PY4 21st June 2011 exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
That's pretty much exactly what the weapon effect is :tongue: Great guess haha. I chose gender bias as well because I found ethics really boring because we went through it all in PY3, I found gender a bit easier to talk about for some reason :s-smilie:

I overheard people after leaving the exam hall saying they missed out whole questions because they didn't revise properly so hopefully the grade boundaries will be fairly low if people have struggled. It really is too much to remember though, but I think today's questions were quite lucky really. Certainly don't want to relive that exam anyhow :tongue: It's difficult to tell how well you've done but fingers crossed everyone on here will get the grades they deserve =]

haha that was a good guess lol, probably wasnt a guess then must of read it somewhere and rememberd it without realising.

Everyone I asked afterwards said they did bad, but I reckon everyone just says that! But it was a very hard exam so I dont think they will be too harsh.

I suppose it was a lucky exam I should be grateful, I think I got asked all my ok questions, but none of them were my bad questions, from each subject there were about 2 that I didnt have a clue on, so just thankgod they didnt come up or else I wouldnt stand a chance.
Reply 141
If you missed out a whole 25 mark question the highest grade for that exam would be a B *I think* because you did 75% of the paper providing you got full marks/near full marks on all the other questions. The grade boundaries for this exam are quite low so you don't need too much to get a decent grade.

Don't worry yourself I'm sure you did fine, you probably got a C/B :smile:

ah thanks :') yove made me feel a bit bettre x <3 cant believe aetiologies of dpression came up :frown: revised the other 4 but didnt even look at that one ooopsi
How did everyone find the exam then? I was very pleased the bias in diagnostic systems and theories of cognitive development DID NOT come up!!
lol i could barely remember anyyy names of psychologists for supporting A02 so had to be really vague like "research has shown" and "psychologists have proven" haha :smile:
i didnt do much for the benefits of relationships on psychological wellbeing question, i hate that question!! :|
but EWT , Gender Bias and Forgetting were all okaayyy :smile:
was an alright exam, definitely better than last year's, feel sorry for them lool
Reply 144
Original post by LBenjamin93
lol i could barely remember anyyy names of psychologists for supporting A02 so had to be really vague like "research has shown" and "psychologists have proven" haha :smile:
i didnt do much for the benefits of relationships on psychological wellbeing question, i hate that question!! :|
but EWT , Gender Bias and Forgetting were all okaayyy :smile:
was an alright exam, definitely better than last year's, feel sorry for them lool

dont worry about being vague with names, i was the same.
but i asked my teacher would it affect my grade, he said no aslong as u know wht they did and wht it showed :biggrin:
Reply 145
Anyone know a rough idea of what the grade bounderies are? I know it varies with each exam but at average im trying to add up my marks in my head and I think I may have got about 55/60 out of a 100.

Shame lost all my marks on depression and explanations for forgetting as I spent way too much time on the other 2 questions, that they were really really rushed.

Also feel sory for the person who gets my paper, my handwriting towards the end was awful!
Original post by Ali.R
Anyone know a rough idea of what the grade bounderies are? I know it varies with each exam but at average im trying to add up my marks in my head and I think I may have got about 55/60 out of a 100.

Shame lost all my marks on depression and explanations for forgetting as I spent way too much time on the other 2 questions, that they were really really rushed.

Also feel sory for the person who gets my paper, my handwriting towards the end was awful!

For the Jan 2011 exam you needed 61/100 to get an A grade and 53/100 for a B so you should have got at least a B with those marks if the boundaries are similar this time round :smile:

PY4 Jan 2011
Raw mark grade boundaries /100

A - 61
B - 53
C - 45
D - 38
E - 31
U - <31
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kitcat17
ah thanks :') yove made me feel a bit bettre x <3 cant believe aetiologies of dpression came up :frown: revised the other 4 but didnt even look at that one ooopsi

Oh same here I completely blanked on the depression question :s-smilie: Had to sit thinking which theories were involved and had to quickly rush through the psychological explanations! That was my most stressful question really :tongue:
Reply 148
For the Jan 2011 exam you needed 61/100 to get an A grade and 53/100 for a B so you should have got at least a B with those marks if the boundaries are similar this time round :smile:

PY4 Jan 2011

A - 61
B - 53
C - 45
D - 38
E - 31
U - <31

Wow thats quite a lot lower than I thought, I would of expected an A to be around 85 marks! And then an A* at about 95

Thats made me a bit more confident, just hope they use simular bounderies this year.

PY4 Jan 2011

A - 61
B - 53
C - 45
D - 38
E - 31
U - <31

What do you think the UMS for an A* would be?
Original post by kobrakai729
What do you think the UMS for an A* would be?

A* is an average of 90% over both A2 exams so firstly it depends on what you got in PY3. But for this exam 90% in UMS would be 108/120 but no idea what that'd be on the paper in raw marks it entirely depends on grade boundaries!
Reply 151
Original post by Pheebs1201
How did everyone find the exam then? I was very pleased the bias in diagnostic systems and theories of cognitive development DID NOT come up!!

SAME! I wasn't even there for these lessons and never bothered catching up with the essays! :L LUCKY!
Reply 152
This exam was a godsend! Such good questions! I also managed to predict all but one of the 4 questions correctly, meaning all the ones I'd revised most came up! (I just looked at the previous questions from papers and seen which was most likely to be asked).

I studied Intelligence/Forensic/Abnormal. Amazingly, I'd ONLY revised for the aetiologies of depression question (BIG risk) and it came up!

In my Intelligence answer, I wrote about prenatal factors of the development of Intelligence (including maternal smoking, drinking and taking of drugs), the postnatal factors (diet/breastfeeding) and then the effect of education and culture.

For my Forensic answer on EWT, I wrote about 4 factors: leading questions, cognitive interview, facial recognition and weapon focus. This was by far my best answer!

For Abnormal, I looked at the Monoamine Hypothesis, Learned Helplessness and Cognitive Vulnerability.

What did everyone else write about for these questions?

On another note, unfortunately, my teacher believes that the grade boundaries will increase 'substantially', based on the fact that the boundaries increased so much for PY3 this year despite average marks remaining the same - (there has been a cock up with the fairness of the exam in comparison to other exam boards and so they are having to equalise them). I hope not though!!

Also, a load of my friends were actually encouraged by their teachers to make up the names of researchers if they couldn't remember them! This is because the examiner will not have the time to research/look for evidence that they even exist, and so positively marks! I didn't do this, because I thought it was a risky tactic - especially if one student describes the research, accurately giving the name, and the same piece of research is described by someone else who gives a ficticious name! After all, exams are marked by the same examiner, by center!
Original post by Jamez9293
SAME! I wasn't even there for these lessons and never bothered catching up with the essays! :L LUCKY!

:biggrin: very lucky :tongue: I seem to be the only one from my college who was fairly satisfied with the questions that came up (although reading through my notes afterwards made me realised I missed a couple of evaluative points, whoops!) so not sure what to make of that really!
I studied the same topics as you :biggrin: was pretty pleased with the questions too :smile:

This exam was a godsend! Such good questions! I also managed to predict all but one of the 4 questions correctly, meaning all the ones I'd revised most came up! (I just looked at the previous questions from papers and seen which was most likely to be asked).

I studied Intelligence/Forensic/Abnormal. Amazingly, I'd ONLY revised for the aetiologies of depression question (BIG risk) and it came up!

In my Intelligence answer, I wrote about prenatal factors of the development of Intelligence (including maternal smoking, drinking and taking of drugs), the postnatal factors (diet/breastfeeding) and then the effect of education and culture.

For my Forensic answer on EWT, I wrote about 4 factors: leading questions, cognitive interview, facial recognition and weapon focus. This was by far my best answer!

For Abnormal, I looked at the Monoamine Hypothesis, Learned Helplessness and Cognitive Vulnerability.

On another note, unfortunately, my teacher believes that the grade boundaries will increase 'substantially', based on the fact that the boundaries increased so much for PY3 this year despite average marks remaining the same - (there has been a cock up with the fairness of the exam in comparison to other exam boards and so they are having to equalise them). I hope not though!!

Also, a load of my friends were actually encouraged by their teachers to make up the names of researchers if they couldn't remember them! This is because the examiner will not have the time to research/look for evidence that they even exist, and so positively marks! I didn't do this, because I thought it was a risky tactic - especially if one student describes the research, accurately giving the name, and the same piece of research is described by someone else who gives a ficticious name! After all, exams are marked by the same examiner, by center!
Reply 155
heyy every1, i found this exam okay.. i mean its still an exam... soo anythin cud happen cum results day
but i feel like i did the best i possibly could. and thts wht counts.

the thing is in the exam i wrote bratton did a study... when actually the study was done by Bartlett, will i lose marks fr this?

also i may have mixed up the names parker and perez when describing cause of depression, would this make me look like ive nt learnt it properly? and result in a low grade?
Reply 156

For EWT I think I included too much, I sort of panicked and thought because I didnt know how to evaluate each point I'll just add everything I remember, I wrote about weapon effect, flashbulb memory, nature of the crime, face recognition, reconstructive memory and then ways of improving EWT like cognitive interviews and reconstructions - And because I added so much on that I had pretty much no time for Depression, I had about 15 mins left to do that essay, so it was all just bullet points mostly, which I can imagine lost me a lot of marks, I forgot to talk about learned helplessness oops.

I hope they dont mark more harshly, I was quite glad when I saw how low the grade bounderies were! Thought I was pretty much guaranteed a C.
Reply 157
Original post by Pheebs1201
:biggrin: very lucky :tongue: I seem to be the only one from my college who was fairly satisfied with the questions that came up (although reading through my notes afterwards made me realised I missed a couple of evaluative points, whoops!) so not sure what to make of that really!

I missed quite a few evaluative points throughout to be honest, but hoping I did well enough :/
Reply 158
Original post by nutela
heyy every1, i found this exam okay.. i mean its still an exam... soo anythin cud happen cum results day
but i feel like i did the best i possibly could. and thts wht counts.

the thing is in the exam i wrote bratton did a study... when actually the study was done by Bartlett, will i lose marks fr this?

also i may have mixed up the names parker and perez when describing cause of depression, would this make me look like ive nt learnt it properly? and result in a low grade?

Most probably not. It's a minor mistake in the grand scheme of things - as long as you described the study correctly, it's fine. The examiner might not even notice, if they are unfamiliar with the study anyway!
How is everyone feeling about results?

Quick Reply

Latest