The Student Room Group

AQA - Unit 5 - Energetics, Redox and Inorganic Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by lou12
yes i got all of those. execpt i forgot to put white solid for MgO dam. also did you put hydrogen fuel cell or standard hydrogen electrode for the emf one

Hydrogen fuel cell, that whole last part of the question was a little hazy but i might have been able to blag a few marks
Reply 1381
Original post by Betsss
For the Cu with C2O42- complex, did people cut draw it with 2 lots of CrO42- and no water ligands? :s-smilie: i think i saw on the question that you weren't supposed to draw the water ligands, but i cant remember now! :frown:

Yeah said you don't need to show the water ligands :smile:
Reply 1382
Aluminium Oxide testing? Molten Cryolite, Electrolysis??
Reply 1383
For the first question, where you had to explain the interactions between Flouride ions and water, was it hydrogen bonding? :s-smilie:
Reply 1384
Original post by jamest92
Hydrogen fuel cell, that whole last part of the question was a little hazy but i might have been able to blag a few marks

cool, me too :smile:
Reply 1385
Original post by SnookerLoopy
what did people get as the percentage of iron? 8.74 or something ?

I got around 50 % :s-smilie:
Reply 1386
Original post by M | k e
Yes :smile: and in the CGP book it has the exact example but with their cell as 2.05V, and their answers -0.36. Ours was 2.15V so can be sure -0.46V is right :biggrin:

Yay thanks! :biggrin: and the other one was +1.1? :smile:
Original post by Betsss
For the first question, where you had to explain the interactions between Flouride ions and water, was it hydrogen bonding? :s-smilie:

ah yeah i didnt like that one, i put that water is polar so the polar hydrogon atoms in water have a slight positive charge and are attracted towards the fluoride ions and said something about forming like a sheath around it.. no idea if its right tho :/
For the ammonia question where we had to find the entropy, and many people forgot to divide by 2 (myself included), the question beforehand was the enthalpy change for the production of 1 mole of ammonia.

Would we have to divide that by two, also? Seeing as the equation creates 2 moles of ammonia.

Funny, I divided by two for the enthalpy, but not the entropy. How stupid of me.
Reply 1389
Anyone get 53.7% for the iron one? :smile:
Original post by Van_der_Waals
Yeah, haha, an easy 6 marks (hopefully :wink:). I don't see why they can't use consistent symbols throughout both physics and chemistry though, it's E=hf not Δ\DeltaE=hv! :p:

can you remember the ans to the first que in that page
Reply 1391
Original post by Betsss
Yay thanks! :biggrin: and the other one was +1.1? :smile:

S'what I got :smile:
Reply 1392
Original post by Betsss
Did people get -0.46 for the E value for the negative terminal?

that value sounds familiar:smile:
Original post by SnookerLoopy
what did people get as the percentage of iron? 8.74 or something ?

I got something like that but I think people are saying something about a ratio of 1:6. I don't remember seeing that in the question. I probably neglected to read it properly.
Reply 1394
Original post by al_habib
can you remember the ans to the first que in that page

Something about why is Copper(II) ions blue?

I said the d subshell splits when ligands attach, forming levels of different energy. The electrons in it require energy = delta E to make the jump to higher energy level. They get this energy by absorbing light, in copper then absorb red light, and reflect the rest, because red is absorbed this mean blue gets reflected and is visible at this colour :smile:.

Not 100% about my physicsy stuff but it's along those lines :tongue:
Reply 1395
Original post by Betsss
Anyone get 53.7% for the iron one? :smile:

Thank god, someone else
Reply 1396
Original post by Smartie77
I got something like that but I think people are saying something about a ratio of 1:6. I don't remember seeing that in the question. I probably neglected to read it properly.

You had to work out the ratio yourself. Cr2O7 2- + 6Fe2+ you ended up with. So when you work moles of Cr2O7 2- from the data given, you just times by 6 for moles of iron. Then can use n=mass/Mr to find the mass of iron, and the %.

I got like 53.7%

Oh right, I couldn't be bothered working out the ratio, I just said 'assuming it's a 1:1 reaction' ...We'll probably pick up about 3 marks for it though (out of 5)

Fe 2+ ---> Fe 3+ + e-

Cr2O7 2- + 14H+ + 6e- ---> 2Cr 3+ + 7H2O

THEREFORE: 6Fe 2+ + Cr2O7 2- + 14H+ ---> 2Cr 3+ + 6Fe 3+ + 7H2O

That's how you get your ratio.
Reply 1399
For why copper (II) ions are blue, i put:
- Cu2+ is a transition metal ion, so it has an incomplete d-sublevel
- it can undergo d-to-d transitions
- the electrons absorb light, which excites them to a higher energy level
- they then emit light to fall back to ground state
- Cu2+ ions absorb red light from the visible spectrum; so they will appear the complementary colour (blue)

Is this ok, this was the section i was least confident with :frown: and it had to come up!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending