The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3360
Original post by Macroverse
If you use all the 'proper' or fancy terms you get more points in accuracy but you won't get penalised if you use the word in the syllabus, it is like if you mention rubisco in photosynthesis. Most of these extra things are in the Biological Sciences magazine written by the chief examiner but you won't lose marks so don't worry (: It's just if you want the extra marks to get 25/25. Personally, I forgot in the exam to mention stuff outside the syllabus ): stupid!

id written an essay in class and got 25/25
but mentioned nothing outside syllabus
just lots of detailed examples
so maybe its just my teacher being too nice lol :s
Original post by choc1234
about 1 hour
maybe should of spent more time on the questions :frown:
do u think i could get around 23 for not having non-syllabus stuff?

In my practice essays I got around 23 and I didn't have non-syllabus stuff; I think it just makes the 25 more likely it's not like the only passage to it (: Think positive, I doubt anyone really mentioned stuff outside the syllabus

Does anyone know anything about UMS marks :smile:
id written an essay in class and got 25/25
but mentioned nothing outside syllabus
just lots of detailed examples
so maybe its just my teacher being too nice lol :s

Well with the cycles there is nothing really outside that you can bring in like any experiments but Idk it is a bit confusing really, you're teacher will know what a 25 marker looks like (:
Reply 3363
Original post by Macroverse
Well with the cycles there is nothing really outside that you can bring in like any experiments but Idk it is a bit confusing really, you're teacher will know what a 25 marker looks like (:

what ums do you think around 55 - 57 raw marks will be?
higher / lower/ or same as last year?
what ums do you think around 55 - 57 raw marks will be?
higher / lower/ or same as last year?

I have no idea what UMS I need myself sorry :frown: the grade boundaries should be lower though but that just opinion :frown:
i need it the most lol
how did it go for you

Er..... it was A'IGHT lol.
I need a D/E So I hope i got quite a lot of marks for the essay, cos the other questions were a complete flop.
ESPECIALLY Restriction mapping haha :smile:
you?
Reply 3366
Original post by Benevolence
WOW! You're breadth is most certainly there! Within the constraints of the syllabus anyway :P

How did you manage to wright that many pages? How long did you spend on it?

your*
Reply 3367
Original post by empop92
i did cardiac, mitosis, N cycle, C cycle, predator-prey, calvin, krebs, menstrual and synapses.. then ran out of time! aaah

Well i'm not sure if you can count some of these as breadth but i did, cyclic phosphorylation (photosynthesis), calvin cycle, carbon cycle, nitrogen cycle, kreb's cycle and a bit of the menstrual cycle, i ran out of time as well, but i missed out the last page of qu 9 :/ stupid time constraints
Reply 3368
Original post by cws121
For the electrophoresis question, did any1 put fragments seperate due to differences in size and they can predict how large they by comparing them with known size fragments along side ??

That's exactly what I put :smile:
Reply 3369
Original post by Protoman
For 114 UMS, you'd need just over an A. Last year, an A was 62 marks, an A* was 69, so to get 114 UMS you'd need 63 or 64 marks. This year, chances are the grade boundaries will be slightly lower as there are a lot of people who said they struggled with the exam, so for the 114 UMS you'll probably need 60-62 UMS, depending on how low the grade boundary for an A falls (if it even falls at all).

Thanks for the clarification,
Lets hope they Do lower the grade boundaries cuz i really need this A for Uni.
so the UMS mark that i got last year i mean 96, what raw mark was that, how do you convert raw to ums marks, is it something like
(raw marks/ 100) x 140....
Original post by joe__
your*

Wooops my bad! I changed sentence half way through aha :P
Original post by nazo
Original post by Protoman
For 114 UMS, you'd need just over an A. Last year, an A was 62 marks, an A* was 69, so to get 114 UMS you'd need 63 or 64 marks. This year, chances are the grade boundaries will be slightly lower as there are a lot of people who said they struggled with the exam, so for the 114 UMS you'll probably need 60-62 UMS, depending on how low the grade boundary for an A falls (if it even falls at all).

Thanks for the clarification,
Lets hope they Do lower the grade boundaries cuz i really need this A for Uni.
so the UMS mark that i got last year i mean 96, what raw mark was that, how do you convert raw to ums marks, is it something like
(raw marks/ 100) x 140....

Use this website :smile:

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php?id=04
Reply 3372
[QUOTE="Benevolence;32430277"]

Thank u very much Benevolence.....
Reply 3373
Thank u very much Benevolence............
Original post by w04andia
Er..... it was A'IGHT lol.
I need a D/E So I hope i got quite a lot of marks for the essay, cos the other questions were a complete flop.
ESPECIALLY Restriction mapping haha :smile:
you?

i' m with you on restriction mapping totally confused me. felt like I hadnt nearned anything at all even after 6 hrs a day revising for months.
Reply 3375
Original post by ismail_

Original post by ismail_

Yay :biggrin: same!!
Original post by ismail_

I said something along the lines of;

Seperates according to size,

The bigger the DNA fragment, the further along the gel it will move

It's hard to say - I don't remember the exact wording of the Q
Reply 3377
hey guys...

does anyone know the UMS marks for EACH module (i.e.empas and exam)...at AS and A2..

just trying to work out what grade i might be expecting...

thanks!
Original post by Zakir
hey guys...

does anyone know the UMS marks for EACH module (i.e.empas and exam)...at AS and A2..

just trying to work out what grade i might be expecting...

thanks!

Unit 1 and 4 are out of 100 UMS and there's 10 UMS between each grade boundary with 80 being an A

Unit 3 and 6 are out of 60 UMS and there is 6 UMS between each boundary.
(48 being an A)

Unit 2 and 5 are out of 140 UMS and there is 14 UMS between each boundary with an A being 112.

Hope this helps :smile: you need 480/600 for an A overall and 270/300 in all three A2 units for the A*
Original post by zakir
hey guys...

Does anyone know the ums marks for each module (i.e.empas and exam)...at as and a2..

Just trying to work out what grade i might be expecting...

Thanks!

as:

Unit 1: 100
unit 2: 140
isa/empa: 60

a2:

Unit 4: 100
unit 5: 140
isa/empa: 60
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest