The Student Room Group

AQA - Unit 5 - Energetics, Redox and Inorganic Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1640
Original post by A level Az
Yeah I actually began writing down the full equations first before I saw the word "ionic" :tongue:

Reading the question has always been my problem :wink:.. hey ho, I think ill still manage to get a C
Reply 1641
Original post by Zakir
does anyone know the UMS marks for EACH module (i.e. empa's and exam)...at AS and A2..

just trying to work out what grade i might be expecting...

thanks!

tpQA ums a2 converter on google and it should help you
Reply 1642

It was 33600Jmol^-1 or 33.6kJmol^-1

If you used the value they gave you you got answer in the 40000s (I think).

:biggrin: yes! me too
Reply 1643
I didn't notice the ionic equation thing either D: Ah well. I realise I gain marks for something I thought I did wrong and then lose whatever I've gained by not reading another question properly:rolleyes:
Reply 1644
It was 33600Jmol^-1 or 33.6kJmol^-1

If you used the value they gave you you got answer in the 40000s (I think).

if i forgot to divide it by two...no marks???
Reply 1645
Original post by Betsss
yeah, i got that too, apart from AlCl3 (as Cl has a 1- charge)
and divided the 2nd equation by 2, as its the simplified ratio

Does the Na+ get cancelled out as a spectator ion?, because im pretty sure the point of that eqn is that it produces a sodium/aluminium salt?
Reply 1646
Original post by MrLukee

Original post by MrLukee
Does the Na+ get cancelled out as a spectator ion?, because im pretty sure the point of that eqn is that it produces a sodium/aluminium salt?

the Na+ ion is "unchanged" in terms of oxidation state, so it acts as a spectator ion ( i think)
Reply 1647
Original post by Betsss
Also, do people remember getting a Delta G value of + 33.6?
and a temp of 298.3?

I got your temp, but I cant say if I got 33.6 or not :/
Reply 1648
Original post by Betsss
the Na+ ion is "unchanged" in terms of oxidation state, so it acts as a spectator ion ( i think)

I suppose so, that sounds about right to me
Well this has ruined my summer.
Reply 1650
How many marks would I lose if I didn't divide the moles by 2. Technically I would get the next question wrong aswell as we had to use the answer from the question above.
Reply 1651
Original post by fsaeed20
How many marks would I lose if I didn't divide the moles by 2. Technically I would get the next question wrong aswell as we had to use the answer from the question above.

one most likely :biggrin:
and youd get an E.C.F
Reply 1652
CAN SOMEONE ANSWER MY QUESTION

Original post by Zakir
if i forgot to divide it by two...no marks???

You'll get method marks, so maybe 1/3 or 2/3 depending on how they do it (I think it was out of three?)

I was under the impression that you'd only get full marks if you used the correct answer, or the value they gave you, as it would be a nightmare for examiners to work out calculations to figure out of people have been using the right method with their incorrect answer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1654
Original post by MrLukee
one most likely :biggrin:
and youd get an E.C.F

Are you sure aqa give error carried forward.
Reply 1655
Original post by fsaeed20
Are you sure aqa give error carried forward.

Yeah, its in the old mark schemes :smile:
Can someone answer my question?

If I did really well in my AS units - I got around 90 UMS - and did quite good in Unit 4 - say around 90, what would I be able to get away with in this module? Like could I get a B/C and still get an A overall?

Thanks x
Reply 1657
Original post by duskflower

If I did really well in my AS units - I got around 90 UMS - and did quite good in Unit 4 - say around 90, what would I be able to get away with in this module? Like could I get a B/C and still get an A overall?

Thanks x

It really just depends on how many ums marks you have in total :biggrin:

Thanks x

overall u need 480/600 for an A

thats out of all ur modules

Thanks x

I'm going to assume you mean 90%? Because 90/140 UMS for Unit 2 is a C grade, and 90/120 for Unit 4 is only a B.

If you got around 90% in all the modules, then it would be something like this:

Unit 1 - 90
Unit 2 - 126
Unit 4 - 108
Unit 3 and 6 I'll assume you got around 80%, as they are pretty difficult, so 96.

480/600 is an A overall, so...

480 - (90+126+108+96) = 60 UMS, which is a D grade.

If you got 90 UMS in all modules, then:

480 - (90+90+90+90) = 120, which is full marks, though I don't think you meant this :redface:

To be honest, you could just go onto the AQA website and use the UMS converter to figure out what kind of UMS you think you have so far, and how much you would need for the grade you want.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending