The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sickofexamz
Could it be possible that grade boundaries are around 55-60 for an A?

I pray that it is so
Original post by greenford
the ultimate question... what do you think we will need for

A
B
C

A-57
B-51
C-45
D-39

I would be happy with these and hope they will be so, as I need 75UMS (a D)
Original post by infernalcradle
A-57
B-51
C-45
D-39

I'd be happy with these as well because I need 73/75 too:smile:
Reply 3623
A-57
B-51
C-45
D-39

I would be happy with that too as I counted about 57 on the unofficial mark scheme and I do need an A in this.
Original post by Wor Carroll

Original post by Popey93
I would be happy with that too as I counted about 57 on the unofficial mark scheme and I do need an A in this.

haha, so its agreed then....now to let OCR know those will be the boundaries
Original post by biology12345
well for an A on this paper last year u needed about 65 i think it was, this converts to 120 UMS last year

if the grade boundries are the same as that for raw marks you would need just above that to get the extra nine,

but if there lower (which they probably will be due to everyone saying how bad it went) then you would need less to get the A u might only need for example 50 wich would = 120 UMS so ud need just a bit more again to get the extra nine ums

hope i make sense ?

That really does make sense, and I seriously pray and hope that that would be the case, because that was one harsh paper!

So your saying, worst case scenario (for high grade boundaries) it would be about 74 for 120 UMS?
Original post by Popey93

where did you get the unnoffical mark scheme?
A-57
B-51
C-45
D-39

Original post by Wor Carroll

Original post by Popey93

do you guys think that it would be higher than 60 ums for an A?
Reply 3628

I think it will be 62/63/64 for an A but the amount of publicity and complaints will probably mean that it will be 60 like last year.
Reply 3629
(edited 12 years ago)

I very much doubt it....

not after the complaints/attention etc. it received
Reply 3631
I very much doubt it....

not after the complaints/attention etc. it received

in Jan 11' apparently no one got above 90 raw marks, it will probably be worse than that in this paper = lower grade boundaries.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jono300
Last year apparently no one got above 90 raw marks, it will probably be worse than that this year = lower grade boundaries.

oh wow....

here is hoping that grade boundaries for this are rock bottom low then....

cos God knows I need them to be so
Original post by Arab_Empress
That really does make sense, and I seriously pray and hope that that would be the case, because that was one harsh paper!

So your saying, worst case scenario (for high grade boundaries) it would be about 74 for 120 UMS?

based on last years of around 60-65 for an A i think it was i doubt they would be even that high this paper was horrible i know the txt book inside out on
lac operon,
apoptosis,
homeobox genes, pcr, electrophoresis,
dna probes, dna sequencing,
parts of the brain, muscles,
sliding filament model,
plant growth such as apical meristems lateral meristems and lateral bud meristems, plant responses,

and not one thing on those came up and to me that is absolutely unbelievalble! im pretty sure other people are in the same situation so grade boundries should be alot lower
Reply 3634
What some one wrote on the F214 thread:

I agree with this - I spoke to my teacher who said he thinks there will be normal grade boundaries, and that they may lower them because people complained, but it wont be substantially. I reckon 60/100 for an A - 66/100 for an A* - which sounds ridiculous out of context - but i think that's what they'll be. He didn't understand why people were complaining, in his opinion as a bio teacher he said 'it was a fair paper, people just obviously placed more importance on the other units, so therefore struggled when ecology came up - at least they didn't ask things majorly out of the syllabus' 'he also said he's seen papers before which were 10 times worst, because of the complexity of the questions, assessing on topics which were far more difficult then the scope of the course' - the actual paper itself wasn't that bad, it was just unexpected - well that's what I thought anyway.

Not saying i done particularly well- but I just don't think it was that difficult.
Reply 3635
Roughly how many marks would I need for 100 UMS? :smile:
Reply 3636
Original post by meerar20

Original post by meerar20
Roughly how many marks would I need for 100 UMS? :smile:

thats just under a B so i'd say somewhere in the mid 50's.
according to that markscheme and some harsh marking i've got about 70 out of 100.
i need 99/150UMS, that should be fine right? and also, for the 'suggest a technique to show if two elms are clones, surely you can use electrophoresis for that too?
Reply 3638
Original post by wilsea05
according to that markscheme and some harsh marking i've got about 70 out of 100.
i need 99/150UMS, that should be fine right? and also, for the 'suggest a technique to show if two elms are clones, surely you can use electrophoresis for that too?

I said sequencing a genome a think because electrophoresis is more about seperating different lengths of DNA
Reply 3639
I NEED 140, I think I could have got 70/73
If its 60 raw marks for an A (120ums)
That would mean 70 raw marks = 140UMS atleast?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending