The Student Room Group

AQA - Unit 5 - Energetics, Redox and Inorganic Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1740
Original post by hahaff
did anyone get 53.7 for the percentage for the dichromate question

i got 70% :s. i know its wrong cuz i got my ratios muddled up..
Reply 1741
Original post by hahaff
i think i did but i cant really remember
u knw for the first question was it out of 7 marks

i think i got -51..

u had to change the sign for the lattice formation because you need to dissociate the lattice before we can hydrate (or put it on solution) it...
Reply 1742
For the first question, it asked enthalpy of LATTICE formation, not just formation right?
Original post by Betsss
For the first question, it asked enthalpy of LATTICE formation, not just formation right?

yeah lattice :smile:
Reply 1744
Latice enthalpy forms a SOLID IONIC LATTICE. Think u cant just put compound.

Ur definition of hydration is actually the definition of the enthalpy of solution?

Does a H-F bond experience hydrogen bonding?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1745
Original post by Zakir

Original post by Zakir
Latice enthalpy forms a SOLID IONIC LATTICE. Think u cant just put compound.

Ur definition of hydration is actually the definition of the enthalpy of solution?

Does a H-F bond experience hydrogen bonding?

so enthalpy of lattice formation: enthalpy change when one mole of the ionic solid, calcium fluoride, is formed from its gaseous ions?
and enthalpy of hydration: enthalpy change when one mole of separated gaseous fluoride ions are dissolved in water, forming a mole of aqueous fluoride ions?
Reply 1746
Yh thats right...jus realised i forgot to mention calcium and fluorine in the hydration one!
Reply 1747
Original post by kabolin
i wrote zn2+??????????????????

I think it is Zn as it can be oxidised to Zn2+ and so is the reducing agent effectively:smile:
Reply 1748
Original post by Zakir

Original post by Zakir
Yh thats right...jus realised i forgot to mention calcium and fluorine in the hydration one!

i dont think it matters, just one mark, so they're just looking for gaseous ions to aqueous ions :smile:
Reply 1749
Original post by Liron Ingleby
yes i got +33.6 orsomethingand KJmol^-1 where is this 20.5 coming from?

thought it was mixed ok in parts hard in others. i think i messed up the whole fuel cell question and made silly mistakes but i only need 89 UMS for an A
Yeah pretty much the same as you:smile: What do you mean by the 20.5? And I need a high c:smile:
Reply 1750
Original post by Betsss
Well, i also put hydrogen bonding, and according to chemguide, it seems to be right :smile:

This is from chemguide:

The hydration of negative ions

When an ionic substance dissolves in water, water molecules cluster around the separated ions. This process is called hydration.

Water frequently attaches to positive ions by co-ordinate (dative covalent) bonds. It bonds to negative ions using hydrogen bonds.

I'm hoping that's what the markscheme wants though!

nooo! i wrote about H bonds at first, then i crossed it out and wrote something else urgh!
Reply 1751
Original post by Zakir
i think i got -51..

u had to change the sign for the lattice formation because you need to dissociate the lattice before we can hydrate (or put it on solution) it...

Think i got this
Reply 1752
No fluoride ions don't act as a Lewis Base, it doesn't form coordinate bonds with the water. I was under the impression the attraction was electrostatic in nature.
Reply 1753
Can anyone put the paper up?
Reply 1754
Original post by Willyg11
Can anyone put the paper up?

someone said y-day that they do have the paper but they dont have a scanner :frown:
Reply 1755
Original post by l4ith

Original post by l4ith
No fluoride ions don't act as a Lewis Base, it doesn't form coordinate bonds with the water. I was under the impression the attraction was electrostatic in nature.

What did you put for: why did sodium oxide dissolve to give an alkaline solution? :smile:
and how would you test that Al2O3 had ions?
:smile:
Original post by Betsss
What did you put for: why did sodium oxide dissolve to give an alkaline solution? :smile:

For "why did sodium oxide dissolve to give an alkaline solution?" i put that sodium oxide dissociates in water to form a solution containing 2Na+ + 2OH- ions according to the equation: Na2O + H2O (goes to) 2Na+ + 2OH- . The OH- ions formed contribute to the alkalinity of the resulting sodium hydroxide solution, which has a pH of 14.
Reply 1757
Original post by loukas2993

Original post by loukas2993
For "why did sodium oxide dissolve to give an alkaline solution?" i put that sodium oxide dissociates in water to form a solution containing 2Na+ + 2OH- ions according to the equation: Na2O + H2O (goes to) 2Na+ + 2OH- . The OH- ions formed contribute to the alkalinity of the resulting sodium hydroxide solution, which has a pH of 14.

would i get the marks for saying:
Na2O is a soluble basic oxide, which dissolves in water to give NaOH (giving an equation), which gives a pH of 14?
Reply 1758
Original post by Betsss

Sodium oxide will dissolve to give O2- ions. O2- ions are strong bases and attract protons readily, thus pulling a proton from a water molecule and making OH- ions, giving it an alkali pH.

And I said melt it and test for conduction.
Reply 1759
Original post by l4ith

Original post by l4ith
Sodium oxide will dissolve to give O2- ions. O2- ions are strong bases and attract protons readily, thus pulling a proton from a water molecule and making OH- ions, giving it an alkali pH.

And I said melt it and test for conduction.

Woot :smile: i also said the melting thing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending