The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EternalDoom
Good luck :tongue:

the book lists around 20-30 basic things to look out for

in the 40 seconds you have to make connections...how do you priorotise which basic things to rule out, and how to find a ocnnection?
Original post by Nator
Good stuff, all eye mechanisms are true, done this a while back :wink:

Is there a book that goes over the BMAT spec??
Original post by JChoudhry

there's the official one, and the isc medical one.

not sure about spec, i need to find like a site that goes through everything in section 2 we must know...

i also need to brush my maths skills..

i've read you've bought the genomics book. Are you planning on quoting these books in your ps?
Original post by *WiNdOw LiCkEr*
howdy all, 2011 reject :/
applied
UCL-interview-rejection
Bristol-interview-rejection
Imperial-rejection
Birmingham-rejection

Just wondering....is their any possible way that I could get in this year? I'm pretty sure a levels went v. well minimum AAA......

Are you on waiting lists for any cause you might be able to get in that way? Or just try ringing them up on the day once you've got your results, thats what I'm gonna do. Its very unlikely, but who knows :smile:
Original post by 2 section prep
the book lists around 20-30 basic things to look out for

in the 40 seconds you have to make connections...how do you priorotise which basic things to rule out, and how to find a ocnnection?

P.87/88 in the 600UKCAT book, its really not too hard once u do some practise runs
Original post by EternalDoom
P.87/88 in the 600UKCAT book, its really not too hard once u do some practise runs

If i can actually sus out abstract, i'll be a happy person.

i've sent you a PM.

^_^ if you want to discuss bmat essays, or anything bmat related
Reply 4927

There is the big Kaplan one which goes over the old spec, however no books which go over the new current spec, just past papers and the official BMAT book should be enough prep.
Original post by Nator
There is the big Kaplan one which goes over the old spec, however no books which go over the new current spec, just past papers and the official BMAT book should be enough prep.

13 Signals are transmitted from one neuron to the next neuron, by molecules. These statements
are about this process:

1 Transmitter molecules are formed in the receptors.
2 The signal is transmitted across the synapse by osmosis.
3 Transmitter molecules are released once the signal has been transmitted across
the synapse.
4 The release of transmitter molecules is triggered by an impulse.
5 The signal is transmitted across the synapse by diffusion.
Which of the above statements are correct?

A 1 and 2
B 1 and 3
C 1 and 5
D 2 and 4
E 3 and 4
F 4 and
13 Signals are transmitted from one neuron to the next neuron, by molecules. These statements
are about this process:

3 Transmitter molecules are released once the signal has been transmitted across
the synapse.

A 1 and 2
B 1 and 3
C 1 and 5
D 2 and 4
E 3 and 4
F 4 and

2 can't be... only water can move by osmosis right? :smile:
are about this process:

the synapse.

A 1 and 2
B 1 and 3
C 1 and 5
D 2 and 4
E 3 and 4
F 4 and

I would have thought 4 & 5, which might be option F but you cut it off :tongue:
Original post by Normandy114
I would have thought 4 & 5, which might be option F but you cut it off :tongue:

Original post by Joseppea
2 can't be... only water can move by osmosis right? :smile:

same thinking guys

i put f, but if i am fair, it was not really an educated gues...
it is F, anything with osmosis in, is not the answer...but that gives me one in 4 chance ...

can anyone explain why is it only 4 and 5, and not the other combinations?

also what about question FIFTEEN

http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/123910_BMAT_Section_2_2010.pdf
same thinking guys

i put f, but if i am fair, it was not really an educated gues...
it is F, anything with osmosis in, is not the answer...but that gives me one in 4 chance ...

can anyone explain why is it only 4 and 5, and not the other combinations?

also what about question FIFTEEN

http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/123910_BMAT_Section_2_2010.pdf

1 is wrong as the receptor receives the neurotransmitters, it doesn't make them, 2 is wrong as osmosis only applies to water and 3 is wrong as transmitter molecules have the be released first as they cause the signal to cross.

And I have no idea about 15, I've forgotten everything about electronics :s-smilie:
1 is wrong as the receptor receives the neurotransmitters, it doesn't make them, 2 is wrong as osmosis only applies to water and 3 is wrong as transmitter molecules have the be released first as they cause the signal to cross.

And I have no idea about 15, I've forgotten everything about electronics :s-smilie:

good logic

what about 17? on genetics

i got B as the answer, but i am confused as to why it is

Spoiler

i mean, fair enough one of them MUST be carriers for the child to be , so 100%.
However...the middle one has a 25% chance if you draw a probability table and same for the other sibling
Reply 4934

good logic

Spoiler

However...the middle one has a 25% chance if you draw a probability table and same for the other sibling

I got E, what's the answer?

good logic

Spoiler

I make it E, as S and T have the standard 50% chance due to both parents being carriers. And U must be a carrier as their child has the condition.
I make it E, as S and T have the standard 50% chance due to both parents being carriers. And U must be a carrier as their child has the condition.

brilliant!

=) i mis-understood this! i thought there's a 25% chance, but that's only the chance of ACTUALLY getting the ilness. 25% chance of not being a carrier, and 50% chance of being a carrier. nice work there man

This question (20) makes no sense! could you give me a site that helps - is this something actually covered at GCSE?

I know we need to manipulate data, but if i don't know what to do in the first place, it's difficult to do it in a scenario where they twist the question, and want some pretty genius manipulation

i actually did attempt this question

it says " the volume of he cylinder is equal to it's surface area"

2Pir^2 + 2pirh = pir^2h

2Pir^2 = pir^2h- 2pirh

2Pir^2 = pir^2h- 2pirh
2pIR^2 = H(Pir^2 - 2pir)

2Pir^2/(Pir^2-2Pir) = h

surely?

Express "h" in terms of "r" i see now...wooops

still no idea how to do it
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4939