The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nator
I got A.

spot on

could you please explain it to me?:smile:

are we trying to make H the subject of the formulae, but how do we do it in terms of R?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4941
Your first stage is correct, here is how I done it:

2Pir^2 + 2pirh = pir^2h
Now you have common terms, so they can be cancelled out to get:
2r + 2h = rh
Then it's just standard factorising:
2r = rh - 2h
2r = h(r - 2)
h = 2r / r-2

Enjoy :wink:
Original post by Nator

2Pir^2 + 2pirh = pir^2h
2r + 2h = rh
2r = rh - 2h
2r = h(r - 2)
h = 2r / r-2

Amazingly brillaint. how did you spot that?
Reply 4943
Original post by 2 section prep
spot on

could you please explain it to me?:smile:

are we trying to make H the subject of the formulae, but how do we do it in terms of R?

Explained under your response, basically if you know what you're doing you can do such questions in under 30 secs which keeps you good for time :biggrin:
Reply 4944
Amazingly brillaint. how did you spot that?

Because you want to get rid of as much as possible to get the answer easily, also you can judge by the simplicity of the options, and you got constants in there like pi which was an obvious hint to me to cancel it out, alongside r.
Original post by Nator
Because you want to get rid of as much as possible to get the answer easily, also you can judge by the simplicity of the options, and you got constants in there like pi which was an obvious hint to me to cancel it out, alongside r.

http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/123910_BMAT_Section_2_2010.pdf

Try question 1:smile:
Original post by Nator

2Pir^2 + 2pirh = pir^2h
2r + 2h = rh
2r = rh - 2h
2r = h(r - 2)
h = 2r / r-2

Damn, internet cut out and I got beaten to it :wink:
Original post by Nator

http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/123910_BMAT_Section_2_2010.pdf

i normally am ok with chemistry/numbers but question 6 has really confused me
Original post by Normandy114
E?

Damn, internet cut out and I got beaten to it :wink:

nator is by far better than me, currently.

you are obviously better than me

:smile: i have never learnt q1 at gcse, can you tell me where to learn the knowledge?^_^

again, spot on it's E

try question 6:smile: please do explain!
Reply 4950

i normally am ok with chemistry/numbers but question 6 has really confused me

Got D.
Reply 4951
By the balanced equation on 2, you can see there is a 1:2 ratio between C and CO, so the mass of CO = 2 x (12 + 16) = 56g.
Now you use this mass value on equation 3, so convert it to moles by doing mass/Mr, and you get 56/28 = 2 moles, and since there ratio is 3:3, i.e. the same between CO and CO2, you stick to this value of 2 moles, and multiply it by the Mr of CO2, therefore the mass of CO2 = 2 x (32 + 12) = 88g :wink:
nator is by far better than me, currently.

you are obviously better than me

:smile: i have never learnt q1 at gcse, can you tell me where to learn the knowledge?^_^

again, spot on it's E

try question 6:smile: please do explain!

For one I knew that hypothalamus deals with heat (only know this due to AS psychology), that hairs relax, and that capillaries do not move.
For 6 I get D?
there's the official one, and the isc medical one.

not sure about spec, i need to find like a site that goes through everything in section 2 we must know...

i also need to brush my maths skills..

Could I get links to those? :smile:

i've read you've bought the genomics book. Are you planning on quoting these books in your ps?

Probably not.

Original post by Nator
There is the big Kaplan one which goes over the old spec, however no books which go over the new current spec, just past papers and the official BMAT book should be enough prep.

Could you give me an online link to it? So that I can order it.
For one I knew that hypothalamus deals with heat (only know this due to AS psychology), that hairs relax, and that capillaries do not move.
For 6 I get D?

so is it an unfair question?:O

i'll digg it somewhere!

could you please explain D to me. I.E the logic behind it
Reply 4956
so is it an unfair question?:O

i'll digg it somewhere!

could you please explain D to me. I.E the logic behind it

I explained it above :smile:
Reply 4957
Original post by JChoudhry
Could you give me an online link to it? So that I can order it.

You know the issue with the prices of these right? :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kaplan-BMAT-Biomedical-Admissions-Test-/220804521875?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item3368f99f93#ht_500wt_1156

Most people say it's not worth it though.
Original post by Nator
By the balanced equation on 2, you can see there is a 1:2 ratio between C and CO, so the mass of CO = 2 x (12 + 16) = 56g.
Now you use this mass value on equation 3, so convert it to moles by doing mass/Mr, and you get 56/28 = 2 moles, and since there ratio is 3:3, i.e. the same between CO and CO2, you stick to this value of 2 moles, and multiply it by the Mr of CO2, therefore the mass of CO2 = 2 x (32 + 12) = 88g :wink:

absolutley astounding.

how long did it take to work that out - be honest?

ALL of the CO, is used in step 3. so 56Grams of it

Very good logic tbh, very good

so tell me, if it was a 3:2 ratio...how would you go about that?

56grams = 28 2

3:2 ratio

(12+32) x 2/1.5 = mass of Co2?

see, when i read it, i completely got blitzed. I did not use logic - but even so, it is very good that you saw that...good find imo

Latest

Trending

Trending