The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PianoPlayer93
Well I find it hard to get enjoyment out of things I do myself. I returned to the school today to drop off a text book and bumped into a friend who i said I'd text to meet in the holidays. My best friends is also coming down in July and I'm taking a holiday in August to Scotland. But while I'm not meeting any friends I seem to be trapped indoors. I'm probably just paranoid of what others think of me when I'm on my own as I notice them more without my friends.
I'm just going to read loads of books and play piano during the time in my comfort zone :colone:

Aha, hence the name :smile: I guess just keep searching for things you can enjoy by yourself, reading etc is good, or also exercise like riding a bike or going for walks (not major exercise).

:smile:
Original post by cdsmith1990
Thank you guys..

I'm going to speak to my GP asap then I'll let you know what happens from there.

Really appreciate the kind words :smile:

Keep us posted on how that goes (if you feel like talking :tongue:)

You're welcome - that's what we're here for :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
The first page of this thread is amazing. I related to every word. Words that I'd never speak to single other person for fear of being looked at as strange... yet here they are, the thoughts I've had for so long, voiced by other people. Thanks to everyone.
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Heya.. suppose I fit into this category...

Always had issues with anxiety to do with eating.. I've not eaten outside my house with people other than my parents since I was about 5.. and went to my GP asking for help only last year.
I got referred to CAMHS for 'talking therapies' at the end of last year which to be honest was perfect timing as in the summer the anxiety had started to spread into everything and I was just not coping at all..
My nurse/counsellor person realised it was a lot more than what was originally said and helped me get started on an SSRI..
The medication and counselling has helped massively and I am just so much better than I was a year ago (even though we havent actually managed to touch on the eating subject yet! :tongue:)

Anyways that was just a little bit of backgroud I thought I'd share as I introduce myself on this thread :smile:

As things are looking up I have started to try doing new things over this summer.. however the anxiety is slightly returning and even though I'm almost 'okay' with college and everything now, new things are still a bit massively :eek:
Is there anything I can do..?
I was thinking of asking my counsellor/nurse person if I could have some medication that I'd take on days that would be particularly difficult.. dont even really know if this is possible.. but would it be a good idea??

Hi, thanks a lot for your post :smile:

That sounds like some pretty horrible **** for you to go through, I can especially empathise with the eating troubles. I'm glad you've made some good progress with your counsellor and with the help of medication, that's great news.

I guess the most important thing is not to try go too far, too fast. It's common with people recovering from depression, as well as other mental troubles, to think "I'm feeling better today so I'm going to catch up with everything I haven't done", and that just leaves you completely exhausted and feeling worse than before. So remember, try new things and push your boundaries, but take things slowly. :smile:

I've never taken medication, so I can't really help much there. I guess you could try asking your counsellor if 'one-off' type medications exist, and if they do, or if s/he isn't sure, then see your GP. I find that it's best to think of a trip to the GP as purely functional. It's either "answer this question", or "refer me to this person" etc, not a conversation with someone you expect to like or get on with. If thinking of it that way won't help, then ignore me :wink:

Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I started off hating primary school and eventually stopped eating while in school but nobody did anything and had to come home for lunch. It got worse when in high school I would throw up every morning and cry but my mum said it was just nerves. Then college came along and I was so anxious about everything I kept lashing out at everyone and being a bitch all the time towards everyone.

I've now got a set of bad grades that taunt me as if I'm now a failure and will never get anywhere.

I'm still in college and I hate it so much I can't see myself getting through the next year. This year has been nearly as bad as the year before but I've kept it a secret from nearly everyone.

I went to a counsellor who got me to go to the doctor but I didn't go back to her. Eventually, I went to my GP and got anti-depressants to help with the anxiety but my parents took them off me before I could even take them because they didn't like the side effects and didnt want me getting hooked. I didn't go back to the GP because I was too scared to, especially as my parents said there was nothing wrong with me. Also, the GP didn't really take my anxiety seriously and put it down to exams. :frown:

My parents don't know that a couple of years ago I was convinced that I was going to die and they still don't know I still sometimes believe something terrible will happen and I will die.

Well yeah, I don't really know what to say.

I hate it how people don't consider anxiety to be an illness but it really is. People have no idea what it's like to freak out every time they leave the house. In fact, i don't even like leaving my bedroom. I just wish this never happened to me in the first place. Maybe then I would've turned out to be a better person.

You are not a failure. No one is.

It's really important that you make sure you parents know you are not well. Anxiety and depression is an illness that requires treatment. They are probably feeling scared because they don't understand whats going on for you, so try and be as honest and open with them as you can. However, if they still don't want you being treated, at your age you can see a doctor completely on your own - if you have to, book an appointment for a time when they are not in the house. you can be prescribed medication and referred to therapy without them needing to know. This might seem drastic, but if they are taking you medication away from you, then it could be necessary.
Also make sure your GP listens to you. Don't leave without a result - a counselling referral, a prescription, whatever, don't let them fob you off with a 'come back next week'.

Mental health problems are still not well understood or accepted, but all we can do is keep trying to show people that we are 'human'.

You are not a bad person. What you are is a person who is troubled and needs help, through no fault of your own. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise. Love yourself, because you deserve it.

Original post by Anonymous
The first page of this thread is amazing. I related to every word. Words that I'd never speak to single other person for fear of being looked at as strange... yet here they are, the thoughts I've had for so long, voiced by other people. Thanks to everyone.

That's what we're here for.

Tell us a bit more about what's going on for you if you feel like..?
Original post by Amwazicles
You are not a failure. No one is.

It's really important that you make sure you parents know you are not well. Anxiety and depression is an illness that requires treatment. They are probably feeling scared because they don't understand whats going on for you, so try and be as honest and open with them as you can. However, if they still don't want you being treated, at your age you can see a doctor completely on your own - if you have to, book an appointment for a time when they are not in the house. you can be prescribed medication and referred to therapy without them needing to know. This might seem drastic, but if they are taking you medication away from you, then it could be necessary.
Also make sure your GP listens to you. Don't leave without a result - a counselling referral, a prescription, whatever, don't let them fob you off with a 'come back next week'.

Mental health problems are still not well understood or accepted, but all we can do is keep trying to show people that we are 'human'.

You are not a bad person. What you are is a person who is troubled and needs help, through no fault of your own. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise. Love yourself, because you deserve it.

Thank you.

It's this cultural thing with my parents. Having a mental illness is frowned upon and disliked a lot in their culture. That's why i don't talk to them about my problems. My parents think it isn't a real illness.

I am going to go bak when I have the courage and know exactly what to say. I don't want to make a mistake.

Just wondering, are you studying psychology or counselling?
Original post by insignificant
I was awake though because I can't get to sleep anymore until about 4/5am and this happened about 1am :/ no I haven't googled because it will only make my mind wander more and I'll work myself up into a state. Got an appointment on Monday at the doctors so I'll mention it then.. Alongside getting a grilling for stopping taking my anti depressants. I hate them because they make you SO anxious for the first few days you start them it's horrible..

Okay, after some research, I think that's a hallucination. It doesn't just mean schizophrenia apparently. I read it can be a result of stress, anxiety, sleep deprivation and a number of other illnesses.

Good luck and I hope the appointment goes well.

Yeah but I heard AD's help you get better in the long run.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Thank you.

It's this cultural thing with my parents. Having a mental illness is frowned upon and disliked a lot in their culture. That's why i don't talk to them about my problems. My parents think it isn't a real illness.

I am going to go bak when I have the courage and know exactly what to say. I don't want to make a mistake.

Just wondering, are you studying psychology or counselling?

I've just finished my GCSEs and I did GCSE psychology, I'm also taking it for A level, why do you ask?

Out of interest, what is your parent's culture?

A good idea could be to write down what you want to say so you don't forget, or bring a friend who can help you remember things.

Edit: sorry my paragraph order doesn't match to what you said in each of yours... I'm sure you can still get it :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi, thanks a lot for your post :smile:

That sounds like some pretty horrible **** for you to go through, I can especially empathise with the eating troubles. I'm glad you've made some good progress with your counsellor and with the help of medication, that's great news.

I guess the most important thing is not to try go too far, too fast. It's common with people recovering from depression, as well as other mental troubles, to think "I'm feeling better today so I'm going to catch up with everything I haven't done", and that just leaves you completely exhausted and feeling worse than before. So remember, try new things and push your boundaries, but take things slowly. :smile:

I've never taken medication, so I can't really help much there. I guess you could try asking your counsellor if 'one-off' type medications exist, and if they do, or if s/he isn't sure, then see your GP. I find that it's best to think of a trip to the GP as purely functional. It's either "answer this question", or "refer me to this person" etc, not a conversation with someone you expect to like or get on with. If thinking of it that way won't help, then ignore me :wink:

Hmm yeah.. you managed to describe me perfectly in terms of trying to do too much! :tongue:
But I dont want to go so slow that I just dont really do anything.. its finding that balance I suppose..
And some things are beyond my control... for example I have 2 days at college next week where we are being put into random groups to work on key skills and progression towards uni - I know there is a big chance of a major freak out and would hate stuff like that to push me back to where I was before... :redface:

Thats how I used to think of my GP and how I managed to pluck up the courage to go and see her in the first place.. but it struck me how nice she was.. which kinda ruined it to be honest! (I know thats totally backwards logic :tongue:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Aww :blushing: everyone on here is lovely :hugs:

That's OK if you don't wanna go into details, just talk as much or as little as you want.. anyone's welcome :smile: I guess everyone has good and bad phases, so I understand where you're coming from. I'm not sure what you mean by SA and BBD, would you mind elaborating?

Good luck with the CBT - keep trying, it will be worth it in the end. :smile:

I can understand you feeling a bit unsure about getting medication, but sometimes you just need a boost to get you in a place where you can tackle the real issues.

That video is really lovely, thanks for posting it :smile:

Feel free to come and go, and you're welcome, it's helping me as much as anyone else :hugs:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Hmm yeah.. you managed to describe me perfectly in terms of trying to do too much! :tongue:
But I dont want to go so slow that I just dont really do anything.. its finding that balance I suppose..
And some things are beyond my control... for example I have 2 days at college next week where we are being put into random groups to work on key skills and progression towards uni - I know there is a big chance of a major freak out and would hate stuff like that to push me back to where I was before... :redface:

Thats how I used to think of my GP and how I managed to pluck up the courage to go and see her in the first place.. but it struck me how nice she was.. which kinda ruined it to be honest! (I know thats totally backwards logic :tongue:)

Aha, I caught you out! Yeah the balance is the hard part I suppose, but only you can know what's right for you.

Things like the group work you mention can be difficult, but I suppose you just need to try and prepare yourself as well as you can, make preparations like having a 'get-out' excuse if you need it, relax yourself before you start and don't try to do too much else that same day etc. Good luck with it :hugs:

I think if anything turns out different to you expect it can throw you, especially if you are bit 'delicate' mentally (as I am, and you sound).

Man i guess my phobia of flying is just getting worse and worse :sigh: it's come to the point where I dont really enjoy going on holiday coz i know i have to step on board that plane. The first 30mins im ok, but then i start panicking, crying and my heart starts like beating weird, short breaths. Its so bad :emo:
I'm going to cut this fairly short but I think I have some form of anxiety problem that causes me to eventually vomit.

The difference from normal anxiety is that this is almost totally subconcious. In the situations it occurs I don't actuallyfeel nervous in a concious way. My stomach just scrunches up into a ball so I can't eat, and then eventually I hurl. It usually happens in new social situations/emotional situations.

Anybody experienced anything similar?

In case it's useful it all started about 4 years ago in my first serious relationship.
Original post by flowermaster91
Man i guess my phobia of flying is just getting worse and worse :sigh: it's come to the point where I dont really enjoy going on holiday coz i know i have to step on board that plane. The first 30mins im ok, but then i start panicking, crying and my heart starts like beating weird, short breaths. Its so bad :emo:

That sounds horrible for you. Have you considered getting some therapy to see if you can knock that phobia on the head? Perhaps CBT or a more 'alternative' style like EMDR?
Original post by Sammydemon
I'm going to cut this fairly short but I think I have some form of anxiety problem that causes me to eventually vomit.

The difference from normal anxiety is that this is almost totally subconcious. In the situations it occurs I don't actuallyfeel nervous in a concious way. My stomach just scrunches up into a ball so I can't eat, and then eventually I hurl. It usually happens in new social situations/emotional situations.

Anybody experienced anything similar?

In case it's useful it all started about 4 years ago in my first serious relationship.

Hmm. Seeing as I have a phobia of vomiting, I'm not going to dwell on this post. It sounds horrible for you but I don't want to stress myself out thinking about it. Hopefully another poster will be able to help from a more impartial point of view. I guess the standard advice is probably...

:doctor:

(edited 12 years ago)
That sounds horrible for you. Have you considered getting some therapy to see if you can knock that phobia on the head? Perhaps CBT or a more 'alternative' style like EMDR?

Nahhhh I havn't :colondollar: but i should see someone about this before it gets any worse. Thanks for the advice :biggrin:
Reply 217
Not aure if this is the right thread for this but i get pqnic attacks when stressed (e.g. Before exams) but i'm pretty used to dealing with them and can nornally tell when they're going to happen.

But about 2-3 months ago i developed a rather embarrasing nervous twitch. I had something similar but much milder for a while when i was little but it went away. Basically it's a kind of headbanging (think the movement you'd make if you were trying to knock yourself out on a wall but minus wall). It gives me a headache and neck muscle pain on bad days and it's really embarrassing when people see it (which trust me, they do with regularity) cause it looks like i'm having a short fit or something. Any ideas on how to deal with it?
Wow, you're so strong! Congratulations on coming through all that. I'm not sure that's the right phrase or whatever, but you know what I mean haha. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by flowermaster91

I have a fear of flying, I take diazepam for it and sit there like this :biggrin: mixed with :coma: the entire flight instead. Worth a shot?

Quick Reply

Latest