The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheUnbeliever
When did UCAS tariff points become some scientifically-determined measure of the difficulty of a qualification? :confused:

Err.. - when UCAS set up a tariff table that allocates points based on the difficulty level of the qualification...?
Original post by amber spyglass
Err.. - when UCAS set up a tariff table that allocates points based on the difficulty level of the qualification...?

Nice try, but I'm afraid that whizzing sound was my point narrowly missing you. To wit: how do they determine this? I've seen precisely no evidence that it is due to careful statistical analysis of performance. In fact, I've seen no evidence that it isn't due to throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Consider that Advanced Highers were rated lower until a couple years ago, pegged with A level. You wouldn't then have been able to make your argument using their numbers as support. Were Advanced Highers easier before the switch? They've shown a fairly constant distribution of grades over time.

EDIT: In fact, this document discussing the AH points revision repeatedly makes mention of their value to future progression - something largely disconnected from difficulty. (Otherwise STEP mathematics would be much more widely known, never mind regarded.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Nice try, but I'm afraid that whizzing sound was my point narrowly missing you. To wit: how do they determine this? I've seen precisely no evidence that it is due to careful statistical analysis of performance. In fact, I've seen no evidence that it isn't due to throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Consider that Advanced Highers were rated lower until a couple years ago, pegged with A level. You wouldn't then have been able to make your argument using their numbers as support. Were Advanced Highers easier before the switch? They've shown a fairly constant distribution of grades over time.

EDIT: In fact, this document discussing the AH points revision repeatedly makes mention of their value to future progression - something largely disconnected from difficulty. (Otherwise STEP mathematics would be much more widely known, never mind regarded.)

You could easily be right. I have no idea. All I do know is that UCAS have a tariff. Grade 6 violin scores less points than Grade 8. Merit scores less than distinction. That all makes sense.
Other stuff is not so easy. At higher chemistry for instance I know an English Chemistry Teacher who can reliably say that the higher course contains some AS and some A level material. TBH that's all I can base things on - I'm just asking for clarification. I'm not sure what relevance the maths stuff has to what I was asking..? I've never heard of STEP mathematics. What prompted my original post was the possibility that the UCAS tariff for Advanced Highers has changed in the last few months. Do you know if it has?
What prompted my original post was the possibility that the UCAS tariff for Advanced Highers has changed in the last few months. Do you know if it has?

I'm fairly certain that neither the AH or A level tables have changed, but I honestly couldn't say since they're of no relevance to me. :smile: Is it possible you missed the A* grade when you were comparing?
I'm fairly certain that neither the AH or A level tables have changed, but I honestly couldn't say since they're of no relevance to me. :smile: Is it possible you missed the A* grade when you were comparing?

I didn't think so but I am wondering now if maybe that is the case. It crossed my mind that perhaps the new system had resulted in a review of stuff and a re-scoring...
...?

AHs haven't changed (initially I thought they were 120 so lower than the current number, but remembering other stuff 130 hasn't changed, atleast for the last year). The A* is relatively new though so perhaps that has been reviewed.
Original post by TheRabbit
:hello:

Off-topic, but what is your avatar? :p:
Off-topic, but what is your avatar? :p:

Sonic screwdriver :facepalm:

Yeah I'll change it soon, I was stuck for inspiration and was really enjoying the new dw series.

The sig is from Danny Macaskill's "Way Back Home".
Original post by TheRabbit
AHs haven't changed (initially I thought they were 120 so lower than the current number, but remembering other stuff 130 hasn't changed, atleast for the last year). The A* is relatively new though so perhaps that has been reviewed.

yeah, maybe - thanks for the reply.
Reply 149
Gotta say for me the hardest would be maths, then physics. I personally find chemistry quite easy but that might be just because the hard quantum bit is actually the bit i enjoy the most and did so much research into it before ven realising it was in the course haha. Biology on the other hands seems easy till you see the exam questions and marking scheme ugh
For me, it all comes down to the teacher. Almost anyone can get an A with a good teacher. The exam is as much about knowledge as it is playing the game! If your teacher know how to play it for his/her subject then you’re fine - if not you’re going to have to figure it out yourself.
Chemistry

Latest