The Student Room Group

Scared about leaving school for good.

Okay, I really wasn't sure where to post this... hope this is the right place? Sorry!

Anyway... is anyone else properly scared and upset about leaving school/6th form? I've just finished Year 13, nearly done my exams now. So I've got so. little. time. left. I know I'll sound like a geek but I really loved school.. okay I didn't/don't have a lot of friends, but I got on with my teachers amazingly.. particularly one of them I have become really close to her and am going to miss her SO much. And I was really enjoying my subjects and the general 6th form life of small classes, banter with the teachers, wearing our own clothes etc.
But I'll just miss the routine generally. I spent most of my school life hating things but 6th form there was really good. I finally started to feel confident in myself. And now I'm leaving it behind :frown: I feel sick at the thought. Really sick. I'm a needy person who likes reassurance and care from others (I've always been close to my teachers and got a lot of support from them) so I am just terrified at the prospect of leaving this behind. School was/is such a safety net, and my school is particularly brilliant.
Thing is, I know I'll be fine at Uni after a few months, but I hate the thought of facing the pain I will face over the next half a year or so before I get settled again. I couldn't stop crying after leavers day, struggled to eat and was just a mess, and I know I'll be the same when I've finished exams cos I won't be able to go into school anymore. I'm scared my teachers won't want to keep in contact even though I'd love to be friends with them and stuff. Everyone else seems to be excited and happy to leave but I just feel like I can't take it, at all.

Does anyone feel the same? It'd be nice to hear if anyone else does.
It's a big change and you are bound to have a lot of feelings about it - you were at the school for many years and now you are moving on. I had a lot of sad feelings when i finished my school and on the last day there were quite a few tears, as you wonder if you will see people again. I think you have to make an effort to keep up with people - don't just expect everyone to come to you, as people get very busy and occupied with their next activities. I did a gap year and have tried to stay close with school friends that i care about, but of course things can loosen up a little as people develop new friendships outside school.

I guarantee how you feel about this will change once you are uni and meeting new people, winning new friends and having loads of fun. :smile:
Reply 2
Well, although I am not in your particular situation I suppose that the emotions which you described can apply to various aspects of life. what I would say is to look forward and hope for the best, but remember your time in sixth form with fondness. you don't have to move on to uni and detach yourself from old friends and aquaintances. just think of all the great times you have had at school and move on as there will be many more to come.

as you said school is a real safety net, i guess sometimes we have to move out of our comfort zones to reach our best. i know i will really miss school when it's over too.

good luck and keep smiling there are great thing to come :smile:
Reply 3
I'm not particularly.

I enjoyed school alot, bonded with many teachers and had some good times. A lot of my character has been developed through school and there is/was a comfortable routine. I like/d my school.

But nothings lasts, and i'm ready to move on.

Generally our teachers are okay adding on facebook once you've left the school, should they like you.
Reply 4
Thanks guys. I know it is a great chance to move on and do well in life, it's just hard believing that now. But thanks for your support :smile:
Original post by littledreams

Anyway... is anyone else properly scared and upset about leaving school/6th form? I've just finished Year 13, nearly done my exams now. So I've got so. little. time. left. I know I'll sound like a geek but I really loved school.. okay I didn't/don't have a lot of friends, but I got on with my teachers amazingly.. particularly one of them I have become really close to her and am going to miss her SO much. And I was really enjoying my subjects and the general 6th form life of small classes, banter with the teachers, wearing our own clothes etc.
But I'll just miss the routine generally. I spent most of my school life hating things but 6th form there was really good. I finally started to feel confident in myself. And now I'm leaving it behind :frown: I feel sick at the thought. Really sick. I'm a needy person who likes reassurance and care from others (I've always been close to my teachers and got a lot of support from them) so I am just terrified at the prospect of leaving this behind. School was/is such a safety net, and my school is particularly brilliant.
Thing is, I know I'll be fine at Uni after a few months, but I hate the thought of facing the pain I will face over the next half a year or so before I get settled again. I couldn't stop crying after leavers day, struggled to eat and was just a mess, and I know I'll be the same when I've finished exams cos I won't be able to go into school anymore. I'm scared my teachers won't want to keep in contact even though I'd love to be friends with them and stuff. Everyone else seems to be excited and happy to leave but I just feel like I can't take it, at all.

I could have totally written this, LittleDreams - it's like the story of my life! All the things you've said in your post, I'm feeling too.

Hang on in there. There are no magic words but it always gets better (that's what I always tell myself anyway.)
Reply 6
if my tests go as planned my last day in school is tomorrow...feels so weird...last 7 years flew
Not really, I spent 3 years in sixth form, it's about damn time I left.

But I do feel a bit melancholic about it :moon:
Reply 8
Original post by bittersweet16
I could have totally written this, LittleDreams - it's like the story of my life! All the things you've said in your post, I'm feeling too.

Hang on in there. There are no magic words but it always gets better (that's what I always tell myself anyway.)

Thank you for saying that :smile: I hope you can feel better about it sometime soon as well.
Reply 9
Hey, i feel the same as you and am departing year 13. I feel very scared and its giving me anxiety. I know this thread is from 2011, so I was wondering how your feeling now, in 2016? Thanks x
Original post by littledreams
Okay, I really wasn't sure where to post this... hope this is the right place? Sorry!

Does anyone feel the same? It'd be nice to hear if anyone else does.

hello,
I am currently at Newman university in my third year and felt that it was quite a daunting thought to leave home and college and things and if I'm honest as humans we like routine and change can be tricky, dose not mean however that it is negative. we are very adaptable and it take 30 days to form a routine of behaviour, so at first there is going to be thirty days where things aren't complexly 'normal' but throughout those days it gets easier and easier and although you are gonna look at what you left behind and the loss of that you will also begin to do and learn and develop in areas that you can't yet imagine. i have kept friends with lots of people from school and college but some i left behind but i honestly believe if you want someone in your life regardless of distance or any other factor if you both make an effort then relationships continue. its a new stage that is completely understandable scary but don't forget about the existing things that you haven't yet discovered in your new path. hope that it helps! good luck, i am sure you will be more then fine :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi did you all make it? I'm in my final year now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending