The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blahblah16
Nah I just get the one with the prettiest cover :wink: (kind of not joking...) and also some of them are £30ish - definitely not doing that. I try to find the cheapest too.
Really really not looking forward to medieval French litearture though...

Just buy the Folio edition http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chatelaine-Vergy-Folio-Jean-Dufornet/dp/2070388328/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1309106583&sr=8-1

Most people do, it's fairly cheap and you don't need the Lettres Gothiques one.

Also, the lectures and teaching for the medieval french are some of the best - most well thought out and interesting. You might be coming to a different college to be taught it as not all tutors teach it, which in itself is interesting. I wouldn't worry - you can just read it in modern french and quote in modern french in the exam if you want - but you might find (like me..) that it's really interesting!
Hi, so hopefully doing medicine if A levels go ok...

Just wondering if any of the other medics have been sent a reading list yet as I haven't heard anything other than a letter about fees and am worried they might have forgotten me. Not that I'm complaining about not having to do a load of reading yet but it would be good to know.

Thanks
Original post by soutioirsim
How busy do you guys think we'll be in freshers? It's just there is a gig at the O2 academy on the 6th October, Enter Shikari and Your Demise are playing!! I'm really tempted to buy some tickets but I don't want to miss out on anything in freshers :s-smilie:

O2 academy oxford? There's bound to be some non-essential freshers event on. How much do you like these bands, and how often will you get a chance to see them? You only have one first week at oxford (usually)!
Original post by SephyStar

Just wondering if any of the other medics have been sent a reading list yet as I haven't heard anything other than a letter about fees and am worried they might have forgotten me. Not that I'm complaining about not having to do a load of reading yet but it would be good to know.

Thanks

One of my friends is doing medicine next year too, and as far as I'm aware he hasn't been sent anything :smile:

I haven't been sent anything for geography yet, and there's a good few people in this thread who haven't got reading lists yet.
Reply 1964
Original post by SephyStar

Thanks

Hey fellow medic! :smile:
I've not been sent anything for medicine yet and I'm hopefully starting in october. I went onto the oxford medicine website and found a "suggested reading list" but I've not been specifically told/emailed anything important
Original post by mcgovernjon
I usually use the same criteria for choosing editions. :smile: I just bought a 1960s copy of Elton's The Practice of History because it had a gorgeous cover photo of a desk laid out with manuscripts and an open window looking out onto a meadow... it's a beauty :biggrin:

I do the same, although I'm not sure if that justifies wanting to spend £15 on a new jazz-age inspired copy of The Great Gatsby when I already have a cheap copy... :biggrin:
Original post by BeritV
Goooosh why is my name awesome??:biggrin:

Haha because it's Zuzana! It's much more interesting than mine lol :tongue:
Original post by shinobi93
I do the same, although I'm not sure if that justifies wanting to spend £15 on a new jazz-age inspired copy of The Great Gatsby when I already have a cheap copy... :biggrin:

Go on, treat yourself :biggrin:
Reply 1968
I still don't have a reading list. :bawling:

I have found myself paid work for over the summer though,so that should keep me occupied until I hear from Lincoln. Also, on the few lists that I have found there are certain texts that keep cropping up so I'm going to read them. The KJB should be interesting...I'm not religious personally but I go to a very religious school so I am fairly immersed in what happens. Also, I do like the poetry.

Question for any English (or I suppose any linguists at all, I saw someone above talking about medieval french so I wonder if you have a similar choice to us Englanders (new collective noun there, thought I'd try it out))applicants: If you had to choose NOW between the Old English course and the one that is more modern, which would you do??

Myself??? I don't know. I tend to love whatever I happen to be reading at the time. I wouldn't want to do OE if it precluded doing Woolf and T.S Eliot etc...So I don't really know.:tongue:
Finally finished my exams!! :woohoo:
Physics exam was this morning, so at last I am done with my A-levels! :woo:

EDIT:

Original post by Salliana23

Haha, funny timing

Original post by LtCommanderData
Physics exam was this morning, so at last I am done with my A-levels! :woo:

EDIT:

Haha, funny timing

Well done, you two :smile: See you in October (hopefully!) :eek:
Well done, you two :smile: See you in October (hopefully!) :eek:

You said it! Cheers :smile:
You said it! Cheers :smile:

:wink:

:wink:

I don't get it...

Spoiler

I don't get it...

Spoiler

Maybe it wasn't an accident. :biggrin:
Hi :smile:
I'm in a bit of a dilemma here, my exams are over this week and my results are given this sunday so I want to send them by e-mail to the admissions office. but I e-mailed the admissions office at my college a week ago asking how i should proceed and everything and I haven't received any answer. I was wondering if anyone knew the procedure since I;m international and my results don't go straight to the college.
Original post by Frankie
Hey fellow medic! :smile:
I've not been sent anything for medicine yet and I'm hopefully starting in october. I went onto the oxford medicine website and found a "suggested reading list" but I've not been specifically told/emailed anything important

Original post by 04ghicks
One of my friends is doing medicine next year too, and as far as I'm aware he hasn't been sent anything :smile:

I haven't been sent anything for geography yet, and there's a good few people in this thread who haven't got reading lists yet.

Thanks both of you. I shouldn't really worry but I am one of those people who thinks that there must be some kind of mistake and they're going to realise they shouldn't have offered me a place at all... Nice to meet a fellow medic, what college are you at? I do remember one of the tutors saying at an open day that when people asked for reading suggestions he told them to enjoy the last study free summer they'd have! The list on the website looks interesting but I might hold fire on buying massive textbooks before I know what I definitely need. I've read a couple of the lighter ones though :smile:

How did you both find your exams? So happy they're done, but don't want to think about results yet.
Okay, I take my previous post back. It seems that Oxford do in fact update track on the day..
I've been trawling through the results day thread from last year, and a few people had said that their track had updated around 6:30, so we will be able to check!

Woo :biggrin: are we allowed to talk about AQA exams?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending