The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by Ross Johnson
To answer the original question - at a recent Assessment Centre I was at for M&A at a top 5 bank, the breakdown of the 15 candidates present was, if I recall, roughly as follows:

3 x Oxford
3 x Cambridge
2 x LSE
2 x Durham
2 x Warwick
1 x Imperial
1 x Bath
1 x Bocconi

Quite comprehensively answers the question. Every now and then you'll get a Loughborough, Sheffield, Newcastle, Manchester type creep through, but a huge number are from the top 10 universities.

Has anyone from loughborough, Newcastle, Manchester ever made it as a banker? (not trading)
Reply 401
Nope, not at this assessment centre, but statistically there's bound to be the odd one here and there that's not represented by one of the universities I mentioned, I've met plenty of other UCL students at other assessment days/interviews. My point was to show how heavily skewed they tend to be to the top 10.

Define your top 10
Original post by glorydays
Has anyone from loughborough, Newcastle, Manchester ever made it as a banker? (not trading)

I'm not some sort of oracle who knows about everyone who's ever made it in banking, but the rules are made to be broken and I have no doubt that people from far lesser universities than you've mentioned have made it to the top of this industry. If you're clever with Linkedin you can probably find these outliers.
Original post by Focus08
Define your top 10

For me, based on prestige, top dozen probably in order and bracketed into tiers:

Oxford
Cambridge
LSE

Warwick
Imperial
UCL
Durham

St Andrews
Edinburgh
Bristol
Bath
Nottingham

Quite subjective, but from my experience of interviews, I reckon you'll find at least 80-90% of the UK based candidates are from one of these. Skewed more towards the top two brackets.
(edited 12 years ago)
Are there any Cass students who creep through? Particually in sales and Trading?
Reply 405
Original post by CityTrader
Are there any Cass students who creep through? Particually in sales and Trading?

Yes they do. A 1st yr even just got his offer from GS S&T for a summer internship after attending the spring week. So 100% do able.
Original post by why-me
Yes they do. A 1st yr even just got his offer from GS S&T for a summer internship after attending the spring week. So 100% do able.

You mean Abs?
Reply 407
For me, based on prestige, top dozen probably in order and bracketed into tiers:

Oxford
Cambridge
LSE

Warwick
Imperial
UCL
Durham

St Andrews
Edinburgh
Bristol
Bath
Nottingham

Quite subjective, but from my experience of interviews, I reckon you'll find at least 80-90% of the UK based candidates are from one of these. Skewed more towards the top two brackets.

I'm sure there was an article or something a few months back where it talked about the banks having to target a smaller number of universities. They tiered like this:

Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial

LSE, UCL, Warwick

Everything else

I would link the article, but i haven't got it saved.....
Reply 408
Original post by Zweihander
You mean Abs?

Am guessing you was at the spring week then? I don't want to say on here but there was only 2 from Cass at that SW and only one of them was going for S&T so... :wink:
Original post by orca92
I'm sure there was an article or something a few months back where it talked about the banks having to target a smaller number of universities. They tiered like this:

Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial
LSE, UCL, Warwick
Everything else

I would link the article, but i haven't got it saved.....

It was an FT article from a while back. Article doesnt paint a true picture of reality though. Prestige aside, in terms of the numbers that get onto spring weeks & summer internships it's actually:

Oxbridge
LSE

Warwick/UCL
Imperial

Durham/Bristol
KCL/Notts
It was an FT article from a while back. Article doesnt paint a true picture of reality though. Prestige aside, in terms of the numbers that get onto spring weeks & summer internships it's actually:

Oxbridge
LSE

Warwick/UCL
Imperial

Durham/Bristol
KCL/Notts

Where did you get this from?

Surely Manchester and Bath will be on that list?
Original post by LutherVan
Where did you get this from?

Surely Manchester and Bath will be on that list?

Empirical evidence, namely spring and summer intern classes for the past 3 years posted on this forum. Was trying to give a top ten, but would put Manchester in with KCL & Notts. Despite it's ranking in uni league tables Bath doesn't actually place that well in IB recruitment year on year.

Oxbridge
LSE

Warwick/UCL
Imperial

Durham/Bristol
KCL/Notts

But again "the numbers that get onto spring weeks & summer internships" give a partial picture.
It would be more interesting to know the ratio admissions/applications per university.
Reply 413

Oxbridge
LSE

Warwick/UCL
Imperial

Durham/Bristol
KCL/Notts

But just numbers getting onto spring weeks/summer internships doesn't work; we have to look at applicant numbers as well.

Imperial will have less FO BB applicants; if they have 3 times less than UCL, and get 2 times less into the internship, then they've done better than UCL. Warwick has an A&F course, economics course, and a top business school; whereas UCL only has the economics course, and Imperial has none in this group of courses where most investment bankers seem to come from. You'd expect Warwick to have more applicants than UCL, and UCL more than Imperial; so this needs to be taken into account. Personally i'm very impressed that Imperial got the numbers they got into spring weeks this year; you'd expect few of their students to want to go into banking so their success in my opinion, places them near Oxbridge in the targeted unis category.
Reply 414
hows UCL IMB compared to Imperial Computing? As I am not sure if I should change course atm....did 2 spring weeks and got an offer for goldman summer intern next year. As the IMB is relatively a new course i m not sure about it career prospect
Reply 415
Original post by hawx90
hows UCL IMB compared to Imperial Computing? As I am not sure if I should change course atm....did 2 spring weeks and got an offer for goldman summer intern next year. As the IMB is relatively a new course i m not sure about it career prospect

Guessing your at Imperial now then; cause you would have to be AMAZING to get 2 spring weeks from UCL and IMB. I'd stick with computing at Imperial; better uni, and probably a better subject.
Original post by orca92
Guessing your at Imperial now then; cause you would have to be AMAZING to get 2 spring weeks from UCL and IMB. I'd stick with computing at Imperial; better uni, and probably a better subject.

I wish people would realise that with a strong cover letter and strong motivation, course is almost irrelevant- at least at SW level.
Reply 417
I wish people would realise that with a strong cover letter and strong motivation, course is almost irrelevant- at least at SW level.

Well we'll see which one the poster went too shall we? If anyone from IMB at UCL got 2 spring weeks and a summer intern offer, it'd be Jamz0770, and this isn't him above; i can safely say that he's the best placed on that course to apply to investment banking. He got 1 spring week offer; i doubt anyone on that course could outdo him.
Original post by orca92
Well we'll see which one the poster went too shall we? If anyone from IMB at UCL got 2 spring weeks and a summer intern offer, it'd be Jamz0770, and this isn't him above; i can safely say that he's the best placed on that course to apply to investment banking. He got 1 spring week offer; i doubt anyone on that course could outdo him.

Regardless, he is only one person and whether he went to Imperial or UCL will not prove your point. I did several spring weeks (a couple of years ago now), but on mine there were people from some non target universities studying non standard courses such as Social Sciences/Arts, who held in some cases two or three spring weeks. At SW level, course is irrelevant, the only reason it seems like Maths/Econ guys prosper is because statistically speaking more tend to apply.

What is the extent of your experience by the way?
Reply 419
Original post by orca92

what do you mean by AMAZING? how many people on the IMB course got ibank summer intern offers? do most people get a grad position doing tech role in ibanks?

Latest

Trending

Trending