The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zigzog7
Woo :biggrin: are we allowed to talk about AQA exams?

Usually, I think. At least, there didn't seem to be any waiting after my AQA Computing exam
Original post by zigzog7
Woo :biggrin: are we allowed to talk about AQA exams?

I think so but I can't talk about mine as my exam was Edexcel
Original post by mcgovernjon
Well done, you two :smile: See you in October (hopefully!) :eek:

Original post by Salliana23
I think so but I can't talk about mine as my exam was Edexcel

Ah that sucks, cant really compare then. Were all your exams edexcel?
Original post by brendan.
Okay, I take my previous post back. It seems that Oxford do in fact update track on the day..
I've been trawling through the results day thread from last year, and a few people had said that their track had updated around 6:30, so we will be able to check!

Ooh. I think this is a good thing.
Original post by SephyStar

How did you both find your exams? So happy they're done, but don't want to think about results yet.

There was a range of feelings :P

Ethics & Philosophy: Only needed a C in the exam to get an A overall, and it was an ideal paper, so I know I've got an A and I'm hoping for an A*!

Geography: One paper was really easy and seemed like a general studies exam, but because of the nature of the exam you couldn't do any past papers so although I thought it was easy and I wrote loads, I can't be sure of what the mark scheme wanted, but im optimistic. My other geography exam wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't a great paper. I'm semi-optimistic that Im gonna get my A overall!

Maths: DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT MATHS. :tongue: If I managed to get my A in maths, its going to be due to low grade boundaries, and with exact UMS for an A :P So its a major worrier :frown:

But overall I'm hoping for the best. If I don't get in, well, i'll probably weep for a month, but eventually pull myself together :P

How did exams go for you?
Original post by flywithemma
Ooh. I think this is a good thing.

It's not; it means we'll all be here from 5AM hyping :tongue:
Original post by micky022

At least it means I will know where I stand before I go into school t 10am, and if necessary, will be emotionally prepared to face disappointment in front of my friends.

Although in reality, I'll just cry regardless of what happens on results day.
At least it means I will know where I stand before I go into school t 10am, and if necessary, will be emotionally prepared to face disappointment in front of my friends.

Although in reality, I'll just cry regardless of what happens on results day.

I just expect to fail utterly each year, so I'm never disappointed :tongue:
I just expect to fail utterly each year, so I'm never disappointed :tongue:

Brilliant philosophy, one adopted by me frequently :smile: although never before has anything ACTUALLY depended on me not failing (and by failing, I mean getting c. BCD in my exams this year to average AAA).

I don't think I'll get any sleep that night - I may not bother, and just stay up waiting for Track to open up. TSR will provide me with plenty of company, I expect :tongue:
Brilliant philosophy, one adopted by me frequently :smile: although never before has anything ACTUALLY depended on me not failing (and by failing, I mean getting c. BCD in my exams this year to average AAA).

I sat working out UMS scores and grade boundaries for a long while, before emerging with a grin shouting BBC!
Original post by LtCommanderData
I don't think I'll get any sleep that night - I may not bother, and just stay up waiting for Track to open up. TSR will provide me with plenty of company, I expect :tongue:

Refreshing Track every 30 seconds from midnight? :tongue:
I sat working out UMS scores and grade boundaries for a long while, before emerging with a grin shouting BBC!

I kept on doing that as a form of procrastination to make me feel better...although I think it ended up meaning that I just wasn't particularly motivated. :colondollar:
Refreshing Track every 30 seconds from midnight? :tongue:

Don't be silly... I'll wait until at least 1 AM :wink:
Original post by zigzog7
Ah that sucks, cant really compare then. Were all your exams edexcel?

All of them except for Chemistry (OCR)
I kept on doing that as a form of procrastination to make me feel better...although I think it ended up meaning that I just wasn't particularly motivated. :colondollar:

Same here! The weakness of the AS I think, makes you panic if you need a lot and become overconfident if you don't need much. If you didn't know what you needed you would work more steadily I think, I know I would!
Our school told us that this year the UCAS system has changed, and Track will only be updated "in the middle of the day", i.e. around lunchtime on Results Day? That's for all universities.
Original post by hiphiphooray
Our school told us that this year the UCAS system has changed, and Track will only be updated "in the middle of the day", i.e. around lunchtime on Results Day? That's for all universities.

Yeah, I've heard that as well but nobody seems to be entirely sure. I suppose if we can't check Track it's not the end of the world, but it would be rather nice.
Just for the lulz... This was my experience with results.

It was the day after I had first come back form Iceland so I slept in and woke up around 10am, still metaphorically high as a kite from the trip and totally not 'engaged' with the reality of UCAS and University. I felt like my brain was a world away.

Cycled to school in a daze, being on e of the last to arrive there, chatted with those friends of mine who had already learnt their results (i.e. all of them) and were either weeping or smiling, and after about 30 minutes I sort of wandered absently to get my results.

I didn't find out I'd got in until I pulled the second A out of the brown envelope :biggrin: I was in such a weird mood from Iceland that I felt really removed from the whole thing. It didn't really hit until a few hours later. I then had a total panic attack (didn't want to go, having just left a high-high-high-pressure grammar school Oxford seemed like hell, and I didn't want to do my course at all) and called the University to ask to last-minute defer. They said yes and a month later I was on a plane back to Iceland.

SO I just hope you all cope with your results (be they what you hoped for or not) better than I did! As long you do that, you'll be fine. :s-smilie:

Original post by such_a_lady
Yeah, if you like Dickens then you'd like Mann. I love him :biggrin:

Really? I can't stand the guy. He's unnecessarily obnoxious, obscure, and pretentious. To be fair I've only read two of his books... perhaps you could recommend something which will make me come around? I want to like him!

Quick Reply

Latest