The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tasheroo
To do work experience at stables / equine centres does anyone know if I have to be an experienced rider or anything?

You don't. :smile: I started helping out with RDA rides which is a crap load of responsibility having never seen a horse in real life before (other than in fields and stuff that is).
Original post by Catatonia
Hello - I'm not a med student yet but I went through the application process this year for 2011 entrance. I applied to Cambridge (Gonville and Caius), Edinburgh, King's College London and Leicester for medicine so if you have any questions about these med schools or if you have any queries pertaining to UKCAT, BMAT, interviews (I was interviewed at Cambridge, KCL and Leicester) do let me know!

Just don't expect a speedy/detailed response until the 27th when my exams end! =P

Good luck x

Please tell me everything you know about leicester - much appreciated :smile:
Hello Catatonia. My name is Livia, I´m 20 yearsold, I´m from Brazil.
Sorry about my English, there are some years that I don´t practice.
In reality, I´d like to know people that study medicine in England once I study medicine in Brazil and wanna do an 1 month exchange to England next year.
Five years ago I were in Cambridge on vacation and I loved.
What can you say me? What´s better? Cambridge or Oxford?
Do you know anybody from these Universities or hospitals that I can talk to get the opportunity? Or another hospital in London.... You, that lives in ngland knows better than me...What are the top hospitals in England???
I'd like to study English too.
Can you help me?
If you have some friends that are studying medicine and can felp me, please tell them to enter in contact with me.
Hugs, Livia
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SylveeDiggs
Please tell me everything you know about leicester - much appreciated :smile:

I've written a post about Leicester before - so I shall just copy paste the info here :smile:

I can't claim too know too much but I applied there this year and I have a friend studying Medicine there so I hope this helps. Information is subject to change as they make changes every application cycle :smile:

+ Full-body dissection takes place which is an excellent way of learning Anatomy
+ Living costs are relatively cheap
+ Campus is beautiful!
+ Very friendly atmosphere
+ University has high rankings for medicine
+ Excellent for student support
+ Accommodation choices are wonderful
+ Three hospitals nearby
+ Teaching generally receives good ratings

- Clinical experience would probably not be as diverse as the one you would receive in London
- Learning GREATLY involves group work so if that's not your thing, you might be a bit ****ed.
- The pass mark for exams is higher than most med schools
- They haven't gone through your PS at interviews, so you kind of have to sell yourself which can be QUITE awkward
- They look at your LOWEST score of a section in UKCAT rather than your average so think twice about applying here if your lowest score is 500 or something in a section.

Original post by liviamiskpre
Hello Catatonia. My name is Livia, I´m 20 yearsold, I´m from Brazil.
Sorry about my English, there are some years that I don´t practice.
In reality, I´d like to know people that study medicine in England once I study medicine in Brazil and wanna do an 1 month exchange to England next year.
Five years ago I were in Cambridge on vacation and I loved.
What can you say me? What´s better? Cambridge or Oxford?
Do you know anybody from these Universities or hospitals that I can talk to get the opportunity? Or another hospital in London.... You, that lives in ngland knows better than me...What are the top hospitals in England???
I'd like to study English too.
Can you help me?
If you have some friends that are studying medicine and can felp me, please tell them to enter in contact with me.
Hugs, Livia

I don't know much about medical exchange programmes and therefore do not even know if Cambridge and Oxford have that for Medicine. However to each their own. A lot of the times medical rankings put Oxford before Cambridge but I preferred Cambridge overall as a place to live and the university overall to be more of a pleasant experience and therefore applied there and regrettably received a post-interview rejection.

I don't live in UK yet but I have friends who are studying there. No matter where you end up studying medicine, you will get excellent clinical training as far as I've heard. However, London hospitals tend to have a more diverse experience and London has several excellent teaching hospitals and universities so you could check that out :smile:

I think your best bet would be researching a few universities and then contacting them. None of my friends would be able to help seeing as they're all still in their pre-clinical stages :smile:

I hope this helps.
I was on work experience today, and they brought in some junior doctors so we could ask them about their jobs to get an insight into medicine... and who walks in but Andy from junior doctors. :smile:
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
I was on work experience today, and they brought in some junior doctors so we could ask them about their jobs to get an insight into medicine... and who walks in but Andy from junior doctors. :smile:

:eek: That would have been the coolest moment of my life :colondollar:

But then I probably would have just fainted out of excitment and missed the whole thing :rolleyes:

NO WAY! Haha what's he like?
what's everyone doing in summer?! (apart from volunteering, work ex and revision)
Original post by Catatonia
I've written a post about Leicester before - so I shall just copy paste the info here :smile:

I can't claim too know too much but I applied there this year and I have a friend studying Medicine there so I hope this helps. Information is subject to change as they make changes every application cycle :smile:

+ Full-body dissection takes place which is an excellent way of learning Anatomy
+ Living costs are relatively cheap
+ Campus is beautiful!
+ Very friendly atmosphere
+ University has high rankings for medicine
+ Excellent for student support
+ Accommodation choices are wonderful
+ Three hospitals nearby
+ Teaching generally receives good ratings

- Clinical experience would probably not be as diverse as the one you would receive in London
- Learning GREATLY involves group work so if that's not your thing, you might be a bit ****ed.
- The pass mark for exams is higher than most med schools
- They haven't gone through your PS at interviews, so you kind of have to sell yourself which can be QUITE awkward
- They look at your LOWEST score of a section in UKCAT rather than your average so think twice about applying here if your lowest score is 500 or something in a section.

Just a few updates I thought I'd add for 2012 entry..

They dont look at the loewst UKCAT score anymore but instead the total score
And, yes, they dont look at you PS before interview but this year they're adopting the 'lots of mini intervies' technique (cant remember the actual name.. but yeah :smile: )
Original post by ChessMister
what's everyone doing in summer?! (apart from volunteering, work ex and revision)

Yeah, pretty much just doing everything you said in the 'apart from..' bit :tongue:

Other than that... sleep, shoppppiiinnnggg, holiday and lootts of mooching around :smile:
Original post by spoinkytheduck
:eek: That would have been the coolest moment of my life :colondollar:

But then I probably would have just fainted out of excitment and missed the whole thing :rolleyes:

Haha, my friend next to me screeched "IT'S ANDY FROM JUNIOR DOCTORS" but he didn't even look surprised, I felt kind of bad for him. :p: I was in a different group to the one asking him questions, but the junior dr in my group was reaaally cute (:sexface:) so I'm not complaining. He looked so subdued and tired though, wanted to hug him.
Original post by MrsNorthman
NO WAY! Haha what's he like?

I don't know, we got split into groups and got assigned a junior doctor or two and he was in a different group to mine. He seemed nice though from what I overheard him saying. :p:
Haha, my friend next to me screeched "IT'S ANDY FROM JUNIOR DOCTORS" but he didn't even look surprised, I felt kind of bad for him. :p: I was in a different group to the one asking him questions, but the junior dr in my group was reaaally cute (:sexface:) so I'm not complaining. He looked so subdued and tired though, wanted to hug him.

Cuter than Andy?! But he is FIT! :colondollar:

N'aaww, seeing as you were asking him questions you should have asked him whether he wanted a hug.. :wink:
But you probably used the time to ask useful questions! :tongue:
Cuter than Andy?! But he is FIT! :colondollar:

N'aaww, seeing as you were asking him questions you should have asked him whether he wanted a hug.. :wink:
But you probably used the time to ask useful questions! :tongue:

He is really cute, isn't he. :biggrin: I'd love him to be my dr.... they were all really good doctors on that show tbh. :smile:

Haha, I know, I wish I could've I don't think that would've gone down well, plus he was 29 and had a girlfriend. :p:

The only questions I asked was something that sounded really thick like asking him what he meant by "Logging" something and "is it hard taking days off if you're sick". Logging is kind of keeping a formal diary, and apparently it is quite hard taking days off when sick, ftr. :tongue:
Reply 5014
This thread made me think about my ucas application :smile:
Did anyone attend the Nottingham Universit medicine talk thing? and can give me a few tips?
He is really cute, isn't he. :biggrin: I'd love him to be my dr.... they were all really good doctors on that show tbh. :smile:

Haha, I know, I wish I could've I don't think that would've gone down well, plus he was 29 and had a girlfriend. :p:

The only questions I asked was something that sounded really thick like asking him what he meant by "Logging" something and "is it hard taking days off if you're sick". Logging is kind of keeping a formal diary, and apparently it is quite hard taking days off when sick, ftr. :tongue:

Junior Doctors was an amazing show - just made me want to do medicine more!
I want to be one of them!! :colondollar:
It has kind of pushed me more towards Newcastle as well (I feel so bad being influenced by a TV show.. but oh well :rolleyes:)

Oh righty-ho.. maybe not then..
Although it seems you know slightly too much about this doctor.. stalker? :tongue:

They dont sound thick (better than anything I could come up with!) :smile:
And thats actually quite interesting never thought about the idea of taking days of sick being a doctor.. suppose it would feel a bit weird.. :tongue:
It has kind of pushed me more towards Newcastle as well (I feel so bad being influenced by a TV show.. but oh well :rolleyes:)

Although it seems you know slightly too much about this doctor.. stalker? :tongue:

And thats actually quite interesting never thought about the idea of taking days of sick being a doctor.. suppose it would feel a bit weird.. :tongue:

I suppose if you have the constant role of looking after patients, your mind prioritises their health over yours and you sort of can't be ill I guess xD

Have you been watching 24 Hours in A&E? That's a bit like Junior Doctors only channel 4's version. :tongue:

One of the doctors/nurses on there was saying how he ended up in A&E after getting too drunk one night and that it was quite awkward all round :laugh:
Original post by Joseppea
I suppose if you have the constant role of looking after patients, your mind prioritises their health over yours and you sort of can't be ill I guess xD

Have you been watching 24 Hours in A&E? That's a bit like Junior Doctors only channel 4's version. :tongue:

One of the doctors/nurses on there was saying how he ended up in A&E after getting too drunk one night and that it was quite awkward all round :laugh:

Yeah I suppose.. :tongue:

Oh yeah! Love that show! :biggrin:
Actually I just love anything with even the tiniest mention of any kind of medicine! :colondollar:

I remember that! :smile:
It reminded me of when I was on work exp. and one of the nurses told me how she got drunk and broke her leg (at the nurses party :rolleyes:) and bumped into loads of people she knew while in A&E then had physiotherapy in the hospital where she worked (she literally went in just before work!). Apparently it was just drawn out embarrassment :tongue:

Newcastle is an amazing med school, if I didn't live here and if I didn't prefer PBL to LBL, I would a million percent apply. Newcastle's teaching is case led, and while you're learning about a hypothetical patient, you also get attached to a real patient. So one of the first studies med students do is having a baby, and while theyre stuyding it, they'er attached to a real pregnant woman. (im scared im spreading misinformation- this is what I think I heard anyway)
The hospitals here are absolutely amazing, Newcastle uni's good at research apparently, plus we're an amazing city for night life/general living costs. Also we're all really unhealthy so loads of pathology. :awesome: and you've gotta live the Quayside at night.

Haha, I'm just a keen listener. :innocent: Nah, he was quite open abouteverything, bless him. His pager kept going off as well, I felt bad that we were using his time. He was the only urology dr on shift!

Yeah, plus because the NHS is short staffed you can be the only doctor on shift so if you're off, it's... er awkward. If you're off it's your colleagues thathave work even harder for it, so I thought it could be quite taboo to be off work.
Plus if you're off for more than 2 weeks for anything unauthorized (the junior dr knew someone who broke his leg and told he wasnt allowed more than 2 weeks off) you might be forced to restart the whole F1 year. :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending