The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Newcastle is an amazing med school, if I didn't live here and if I didn't prefer PBL to LBL, I would a million percent apply. Newcastle's teaching is case led, and while you're learning about a hypothetical patient, you also get attached to a real patient. So one of the first studies med students do is having a baby, and while theyre stuyding it, they'er attached to a real pregnant woman. (im scared im spreading misinformation- this is what I think I heard anyway)
The hospitals here are absolutely amazing, Newcastle uni's good at research apparently, plus we're an amazing city for night life/general living costs. Also we're all really unhealthy so loads of pathology. :awesome: and you've gotta live the Quayside at night.

Haha, I'm just a keen listener. :innocent: Nah, he was quite open abouteverything, bless him. His pager kept going off as well, I felt bad that we were using his time. He was the only urology dr on shift!

Yeah, plus because the NHS is short staffed you can be the only doctor on shift so if you're off, it's... er awkward. If you're off it's your colleagues thathave work even harder for it, so I thought it could be quite taboo to be off work.
Plus if you're off for more than 2 weeks for anything unauthorized (the junior dr knew someone who broke his leg and told he wasnt allowed more than 2 weeks off) you might be forced to restart the whole F1 year. :eek:

I feel the same way about Leicester.. if I didnt live there I'd so apply!! (but I do so I wont! :tongue:)

I didnt think I could love Newcastle more.. but you have just pushed it to a whole new level! :biggrin:
I dont think thats misinformation as I'm sure I've heard that somewhere too (and it sounds amazing!!)
Haha.. all round goodness :smile:
Just have to work the UKCAT to make sure I actually have a chance when applying :tongue:

Oh yeah.. I'd feel really bad if I was off and it meant everyone else had to do more work :redface:
A bit harsh methinks! Surely a broken leg is authorised though? Never had a broken leg so dont actually know how bad it is... but surely it'll take longer for a doctor to come back to work at its a tad difficult to treat patients while on crutches! :tongue:

Note to self: Dont break a leg (except when metaphoric of course :wink: )
Reply 5021
heyy guys,
I really need advice.. i feel so **** right now in the UKCAT ! i feel time is a major limiting factor & i cant finish any section on time. i have actually rushed through all the chapters when doing the questions and still not being able to finish it on time. Even after doing half the questions, i get the majority of the answers wrong... what can i do to improve in the UKCAT and get a good score ?
Original post by spoinkytheduck
I feel the same way about Leicester.. if I didnt live there I'd so apply!! (but I do so I wont! :tongue:)

I didnt think I could love Newcastle more.. but you have just pushed it to a whole new level! :biggrin:
I dont think thats misinformation as I'm sure I've heard that somewhere too (and it sounds amazing!!)
Haha.. all round goodness :smile:
Just have to work the UKCAT to make sure I actually have a chance when applying :tongue:

Oh yeah.. I'd feel really bad if I was off and it meant everyone else had to do more work :redface:
A bit harsh methinks! Surely a broken leg is authorised though? Never had a broken leg so dont actually know how bad it is... but surely it'll take longer for a doctor to come back to work at its a tad difficult to treat patients while on crutches! :tongue:

Note to self: Dont break a leg (except when metaphoric of course :wink: )

I'm thinking about Leicester. :biggrin: What's the city like?

Yeah, that's true, though the UKCAT cut off isn't horrendous- I think it was around 670 this year. Not as bad as Sheffield!

Yeah, it was authorised- but only for the first couple of weeks. After that he was meant to hobble around. Difficult to treat patients, probably, but not impossible. :p:
Reply 5023
don't get too worked up about the old UKCRAP. i got 657.5 (which is alright) and 3 offers.

Yeah, that's true, though the UKCAT cut off isn't horrendous- I think it was around 670 this year. Not as bad as Sheffield!

Yeah, it was authorised- but only for the first couple of weeks. After that he was meant to hobble around. Difficult to treat patients, probably, but not impossible. :p:

I thought Leicester take into account your lowest UKCAT module score and then rank that.

I am also thinking of applying to Leicester and curious to know what the city is like.

Is it campus based or city based university?
Original post by Organ
don't get too worked up about the old UKCRAP. i got 657.5 (which is alright) and 3 offers.

Where did you apply?
What would you consider a "good" UKCAT score and a "bad" UKCAT score?
Original post by aqua05
heyy guys,
I really need advice.. i feel so **** right now in the UKCAT ! i feel time is a major limiting factor & i cant finish any section on time. i have actually rushed through all the chapters when doing the questions and still not being able to finish it on time. Even after doing half the questions, i get the majority of the answers wrong... what can i do to improve in the UKCAT and get a good score ?

Are you using the 600q book cause I just did the mock and it was awful. But I figured you're supposed to get 300 in each section anyhow (which the book didn't add) and the questions are way harder than the real thing anyhow so don't fret. Just keep practicing and chin up :smile:
Original post by Limitless
I thought Leicester take into account your lowest UKCAT module score and then rank that.

I am also thinking of applying to Leicester and curious to know what the city is like.

Is it campus based or city based university?

I was talking about Newcastle with the cut off. But spoinky posted something about Leicester not using lowest score any more.

No idea. :s-smilie: I hope it's city based.
I was talking about Newcastle with the cut off. But spoinky posted something about Leicester not using lowest score any more.

No idea. :s-smilie: I hope it's city based.

I was also thinking newcastle but my brother is doing dentistry there so...I'm not going there.

How is your UKCAT revision going?
Original post by Organ

Please rate some other members before rating this member again. :nothing:
Reply 5030
Where did you apply?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=30658447&postcount=341

What would you consider a "good" UKCAT score and a "bad" UKCAT score?

Well it depends - I mean 800 is obviously good and 500 is pretty bad. For most places I would really be aiming for 670ish, but if you get lower than that it isn't too bad. Plently of places don't seem that bothered - Leeds, Leicester, Nottingham, Saint Andrews, the non-UKCAT schools, Cardiff, Southampton, UEA to name a few. My only advice is aim for the best score possible and then rationally work forwards from the score you attain.
I was also thinking newcastle but my brother is doing dentistry there so...I'm not going there.

How is your UKCAT revision going?

Ah, fair play. Where you thinking of applying?

Havent started yet, mine's not til 6th Sept ish. Hows your PS going? I keep trying to write mine but literally don't know how or what to write. :frown:
Reply 5032
Please rate some other members before rating this member again. :nothing:

Ah, fair play. Where you thinking of applying?

Havent started yet, mine's not til 6th Sept ish. Hows your PS going? I keep trying to write mine but literally don't know how or what to write. :frown:

I'm thinking Liverpool and Leicester but nothing is in stone yet. I haven't booked my UKCAT yet I'm skint money wise. I've tried starting my PS but everything sounds too cliche. I need to think of something original.

Leicester is quite a cute little city :tongue:
Its not massive but has enough going on so you'll always be amused :smile:
Its at a nice imbetween of city and country as you can see Bradgate park (a nice country park with deers!!) from the town centre so its not difficult to hop into the countryside.
I go to college right next door to the uni and its in a really nice location - close enough to walk to the town centre but also next to a really big park which is beautiful in these summer months
And the uni has a great student union (which I like to use on a regular basis :wink:)
And theres 3 nice big hospitals in the city with lots of little district hospitals dotted around in the coutryside so I gather you get a variety of experience in different places

Yeah, the cut-off is not too bad but you still need good score... I'm only applying to sheffield if a miracle happens on the day of my UKCAT... (you never know!)
Reply 5035
Does anyone know any free UKCAT revision sites?
Original post by Organ

Cheers. :smile: A Newcastle clinical skills person was on about how they make their students do an exam after a few weeks of medicine and how since introducing the UKCAT as selection criteria the failure rates have gone done from 1 in 3 to something like 1 in 9. I don't (want to) believe it. :colonhash:
Original post by Organ
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=30658447&postcount=341

Well it depends - I mean 800 is obviously good and 500 is pretty bad. For most places I would really be aiming for 670ish, but if you get lower than that it isn't too bad. Plently of places don't seem that bothered - Leeds, Leicester, Nottingham, Saint Andrews, the non-UKCAT schools, Cardiff, Southampton, UEA to name a few. My only advice is aim for the best score possible and then rationally work forwards from the score you attain.

That shares4school thing looks interesting but I missed the date. :frown: I'm going in year 13 now.
Reply 5038
That shares4school thing looks interesting but I missed the date. :frown: I'm going in year 13 now.

Yeah, we made loads of money actually (about £500), although it juse descended into wanting to beat Eton (which we did!) and the ensuing class warfare.
Reply 5039
Original post by MrsNorthman
Are you using the 600q book cause I just did the mock and it was awful. But I figured you're supposed to get 300 in each section anyhow (which the book didn't add) and the questions are way harder than the real thing anyhow so don't fret. Just keep practicing and chin up :smile:

Yeh i am doing the that book as well.. infact i find the book much more easier than the practice test questions - weird i know.. thats what is making everything freaky.
Got any software or extra questions for verbal reasoning ?
Like how are we suppose to get 300 in each section ?

Latest

Trending

Trending