The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5040
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Cheers. :smile: A Newcastle clinical skills person was on about how they make their students do an exam after a few weeks of medicine and how since introducing the UKCAT as selection criteria the failure rates have gone done from 1 in 3 to something like 1 in 9. I don't (want to) believe it. :colonhash:

Yeah, there have been conflicting studies claiming it doesn't make a difference.

Could just be a case of correlation = causation :idea:

The two main flaws to me are that reapplicants seem to go from 650 to 720 and the fact it just seems to be an extortion racket run by PearsonVue and medical schools because the cost is a joke to sit a test like that.
Reply 5041
Original post by PredatorPulses
out of the 40-50 people, only a few get into medicine...

Depends upon the calibre of students and where they apply!
Original post by Organ
Yeah, we made loads of money actually (about £500), although it juse descended into wanting to beat Eton (which we did!) and the ensuing class warfare.

Did you take economics A level. What other A levels did you take?
Reply 5043
Original post by Limitless
Did you take economics A level. What other A levels did you take?

nope.

chemistry, bio, history and geography AS and droped history for A2.
Original post by Organ
nope.

chemistry, bio, history and geography AS and droped history for A2.

Do they ever ask you in interviews to justify why you took the A levels you did?
Reply 5045

^I'd imagine not, or if they do they might just be after an answer along the lines of "As well as science I have an interest in XYZ"

Then they might say "why did you choose medicine?"
Reply 5046

Hi guys, I'm starting to get a little worried about my medicine application :s

Applying for 2012, I have the option of doing an extended project in the summer. I'm not sure if I should, only due to time constraints, I'll be preparing for UKCAT, personal statement, doing a few weeks of work experience, and preparing the rest of my application. Is it worth squeezing in an EPQ in that time, if it won't necessarily be the best grade? I'm going to be getting 5 or 6 AS levels anyway, so I'm leaning away from the idea of an EPQ.
Reply 5047
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Leicester is quite a cute little city :tongue:
Its not massive but has enough going on so you'll always be amused :smile:
Its at a nice imbetween of city and country as you can see Bradgate park (a nice country park with deers!!) from the town centre so its not difficult to hop into the countryside.
I go to college right next door to the uni and its in a really nice location - close enough to walk to the town centre but also next to a really big park which is beautiful in these summer months
And the uni has a great student union (which I like to use on a regular basis :wink:)
And theres 3 nice big hospitals in the city with lots of little district hospitals dotted around in the coutryside so I gather you get a variety of experience in different places

Yeah, the cut-off is not too bad but you still need good score... I'm only applying to sheffield if a miracle happens on the day of my UKCAT... (you never know!)

Thinking of Newcastle TOO!
Original post by Organ
Yeah, there have been conflicting studies claiming it doesn't make a difference.

Could just be a case of correlation = causation :idea:

The two main flaws to me are that reapplicants seem to go from 650 to 720 and the fact it just seems to be an extortion racket run by PearsonVue and medical schools because the cost is a joke to sit a test like that.

God I hope your right! I got 632.5 last time, seriously need to improve this time :tongue: the improvement might be because firs ttime round some people (ie. me) don't take it that seriously and then second time round its like hell yeah it matters! :tongue:
Reply 5049
Do they ever ask you in interviews to justify why you took the A levels you did?

I wouldn't imagine it is likely. If they do just explain how you enjoy them I suppose :dontknow:
Original post by as_94
Hi guys, I'm starting to get a little worried about my medicine application :s

Applying for 2012, I have the option of doing an extended project in the summer. I'm not sure if I should, only due to time constraints, I'll be preparing for UKCAT, personal statement, doing a few weeks of work experience, and preparing the rest of my application. Is it worth squeezing in an EPQ in that time, if it won't necessarily be the best grade? I'm going to be getting 5 or 6 AS levels anyway, so I'm leaning away from the idea of an EPQ.

I'm taking EPQ but I need to ask you why did you take 5/6 AS levels you do know it puts you at no advantage.
Original post by Nutta!
Thinking of Newcastle TOO!

Yaayy!! :five:
Although that means we are in direct competition :unimpressed:
Lol, jokes no worries :tongue:

Tad worried that Newcastle applicant numbers are going to go sky high though.. everyone at college seems to want to go after Junior Doctors!
Reply 5052
I'm taking EPQ but I need to ask you why did you take 5/6 AS levels you do know it puts you at no advantage.

One of them was further maths because I knew I'd find single maths waaaay too slow, and so doing further didn't require much effort. The other was critical thinking, which I did just in case i did the bmat, and again it required little effort :smile:

Because of the AQA Bacc, I've had to do 7 AS levels :rolleyes:. What's your EP on?
Original post by as_94
One of them was further maths because I knew I'd find single maths waaaay too slow, and so doing further didn't require much effort. The other was critical thinking, which I did just in case i did the bmat, and again it required little effort :smile:

Fair enough. I'm in the same boat as you, trying to do EQP, my PS, work experience and volunteering work throughout the summer.
Reply 5055
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Yaayy!! :five:
Although that means we are in direct competition :unimpressed:
Lol, jokes no worries :tongue:

Tad worried that Newcastle applicant numbers are going to go sky high though.. everyone at college seems to want to go after Junior Doctors!

They won't unless they get a good ukcat score!
Original post by Normandy114
Because of the AQA Bacc, I've had to do 7 AS levels :rolleyes:. What's your EP on?

Not sure yet contemplating between thalassemia/smart drugs. What about you?
Original post by Nutta!
They won't unless they get a good ukcat score!

Oh yes.. that should cut out a good number of potential applicants! :wink:
But hopefully I wont be in the group that realise their UKCAT is too low.. :redface:
Not sure yet contemplating between thalassemia/smart drugs. What about you?

Motor neurone disease and it's treatment, I'm trying to think of an alternative question as I was told it needs to involve more critical analysis, so I'm a bit stuck atm. My school's placed a deadline for one section every couple weeks, I've got to have done the planning review by this friday and the mid project review by the 18th.
Original post by Normandy114
Motor neurone disease and it's treatment, I'm trying to think of an alternative question as I was told it needs to involve more critical analysis, so I'm a bit stuck atm. My school's placed a deadline for one section every couple weeks, I've got to have done the planning review by this friday and the mid project review by the 18th.

Gutted. I'm going to get briefed on it tomorrow. This is my last week of school and got several essays + projects and my PS to hand and also revise for some society of biology quiz I've been chosen for. And I'm here procrastinating.

Latest

Trending

Trending