The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spoinkytheduck
Leicester is quite a cute little city :tongue:
Its not massive but has enough going on so you'll always be amused :smile:
Its at a nice imbetween of city and country as you can see Bradgate park (a nice country park with deers!!) from the town centre so its not difficult to hop into the countryside.
I go to college right next door to the uni and its in a really nice location - close enough to walk to the town centre but also next to a really big park which is beautiful in these summer months
And the uni has a great student union (which I like to use on a regular basis :wink:)
And theres 3 nice big hospitals in the city with lots of little district hospitals dotted around in the coutryside so I gather you get a variety of experience in different places

Yeah, the cut-off is not too bad but you still need good score... I'm only applying to sheffield if a miracle happens on the day of my UKCAT... (you never know!)

I'm applying to Leicester, it sounds great! I want somewhere I can cycle around but where there's enough to do/there's enough for shopping etc, and it sounds like it fits the bill. :smile:

I feel you, Sheffield is such a great city. My fingers are crossed for you!
Reply 5061
Original post by Bubbles2010
Hello everyone! Just want to say a massive good luck!!!
I applied for medicine for 2011 entry (Cambridge, UCL, Birmingham & Imperial), and got an offer from Cambridge and Birmingham.
If anyone has any questions, feel free to quote or PM :smile:
GOOD LUCK!

hi im a 2012 entry hopefull and was wondering whether i should apply to ucl,kings and imperial.

GCSEs
A*A*A*A*A*AAAAaBB
As estimates
AAAA or AAAB(biology,chemistry,geography,maths respectively)
A2 subjects
biology chemistry maths geography general
studies(compulsary) and extended project

i have plenty of work experience an voluntary work etc.
and providing i get a reasonable bmat score and a solid personal statement sould i apply to these unis with these grades.
reply back plz.
Original post by Limitless
Gutted. I'm going to get briefed on it tomorrow. This is my last week of school and got several essays + projects and my PS to hand and also revise for some society of biology quiz I've been chosen for. And I'm here procrastinating.

I've got so much I need to sort out but I just can not be bothered! Plus after speaking to my school's career advisor last week I've realised how unlikely it is I'll get an offer. Procrastination is easily my biggest issue.
I'm thinking Liverpool and Leicester but nothing is in stone yet. I haven't booked my UKCAT yet I'm skint money wise. I've tried starting my PS but everything sounds too cliche. I need to think of something original.

Snap with both. :biggrin: Liverpool is my first choice (and Manc but I'm not getting too attached to it cos of UKCAT :nothing:)

I feel spoilt, but can't you get your parents to pay for it? It's not exactly a leisurely thing, UKCAT. :dontknow:

Saaaame, I'm just going to hope for inspiration. :p: PS is a nightmare.
Original post by Normandy114
I've got so much I need to sort out but I just can not be bothered! Plus after speaking to my school's career advisor last week I've realised how unlikely it is I'll get an offer. Procrastination is easily my biggest issue.

And on that note I will start my 5k economics essay which is in for tomorrow. :frown:
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Snap with both. :biggrin: Liverpool is my first choice (and Manc but I'm not getting too attached to it cos of UKCAT :nothing:)

I feel spoilt, but can't you get your parents to pay for it? It's not exactly a leisurely thing, UKCAT. :dontknow:

Saaaame, I'm just going to hope for inspiration. :p: PS is a nightmare.

I can but then I don't want to, I just kind of feel bad. I'm trying to get a job at tesco/asda so I will see if I can get money from that to pay for it.
Original post by Organ
Yeah, there have been conflicting studies claiming it doesn't make a difference.

Could just be a case of correlation = causation :idea:

The two main flaws to me are that reapplicants seem to go from 650 to 720 and the fact it just seems to be an extortion racket run by PearsonVue and medical schools because the cost is a joke to sit a test like that.

Yeah, plus the KAPLAN courses and even the 600Q are so expensive. It's meant to be a common sense thing, but tbh I don't even believe common sense exists. And if they're trying to test for something inherent they should ****ing test emotional intelligence, that influences success in life more than IQ (my friend's mum went on this training session thing cos she works with vulnerable adults developing their parental skills, and at the session they told her that success in life is something like 70:30 emotional intelligence: IQ. Sounds a bit far fetched but the idea behind it is reasonable, and the balance must be even more uneven with something as philanthropic as medicine).
I can but then I don't want to, I just kind of feel bad. I'm trying to get a job at tesco/asda so I will see if I can get money from that to pay for it.

Fair enough, but I'd be careful in case all the UKCAT places local to you get filled up (not sure how quickly that happens). I'm going to cut down on the volunteer work I do in y13 and get a job I hope, having an income would be lovely. :p:
Fair enough, but I'd be careful in case all the UKCAT places local to you get filled up (not sure how quickly that happens). I'm going to cut down on the volunteer work I do in y13 and get a job I hope, having an income would be lovely. :p:

I'm (eventually) applying for a job at a care home, two birds with one stone :colone:
I'm (eventually) applying for a job at a care home, two birds with one stone :colone:

Oooh, that sounds good. :smile: When would you start? My ideal job would be working with disabled kids, it doesn't feel like work at all but the pay is ridiculously good.

Let me come too?
Oooh, that sounds good. :smile: When would you start? My ideal job would be working with disabled kids, it doesn't feel like work at all but the pay is ridiculously good.

You'd need qualification, authorisation etc.

Same, if God wills, i want to drop ONE A level, carry on THREE, and work my socks-off.

would it be wise to carry all four...so i can drop back on three, if one goes not so well?

^_^

W/E applied...awaiting their reply for in august(I HOPE THEY GIVE ME THIS!...(
Nursing home voluntary, will begin in a maximum of around seven days time twice a week.
Hospice - going to ask to see if i can get a place there...probably NOT.
gp - have phoned GP's, difficult to get anything, about to post FOUR letters to four GP'S and ring them too.
EPQ based on something i like i hope, or can discuss.
PS - impossible to complete without having done W/E or voluntary...if i do a months nursing home, i'll be good enough to write 70% of my PS, leaving around 30% just to the W/E.
UKCAT - really monotonous, and not good as i am finding it hard...but will practise , as that's the key
BMAT - very hard, you seem to be an expert, so i guess i'll take help from you Dr Coxx!
Health - go to GP to get some results back, complain about problems, even if they think it's anxiety'...COMPLAIN STILL. Other than get, slowly get used to exercise like before!
and guess what i'm doing now...procratinating.

Inshallah. i hope you ALL HAVE productive, and do not procrastinate like me
(edited 12 years ago)

It would be saturday evenings 5-8ish, my mate does the same job on a different day and says it's good pay and you just make tea, wash up and bring people their meals. I need to stop being so lazy and apply for it :rolleyes:
Original post by down with zionism
Same, if God wills, i want to drop ONE A level, carry on THREE, and work my socks-off.

would it be wise to carry all four...so i can drop back on three, if one goes not so well?

^_^

Nursing home voluntary, will begin in a maximum of around seven days time twice a week.
gp - have phoned GP's, difficult to get anything, about to post FOUR letters to four GP'S and ring them too.
PS - impossible to complete without having done W/E or voluntary...if i do a months nursing home, i'll be good enough to write 70% of my PS, leaving around 30% just to the W/E.
UKCAT - really monotonous, and not good as i am finding it hard...but will practise , as that's the key
BMAT - very hard, you seem to be an expert, so i guess i'll take help from you Dr Coxx!
Health - go to GP to get some results back, complain about problems, even if they think it's anxiety'...COMPLAIN STILL. Other than get, slowly get used to exercise like before!

Inshallah. i hope you ALL HAVE productive, and do not procrastinate like me

4 A Levels is not an advantage, except for (and this is disputed by some), the BMAT universities.
Reply 5075
InshAllah will be studying MBBS 2012 onwards, in Bangladesh
Original post by down with zionism

^_^

Look who's back :wink:

I'm dropping my fourth, as it's psychology and although at AS the exam is like a normal science paper would be, at A2 it's just 3 essays, and I would fail that so quickly it's not worth doing it at all. Good luck with your work experience, I was very lucky to shadow a consultant and FY1s earlier this year so imagine I'll talk a fair bit about that.
Original post by Straight up G
You'd need qualification, authorisation etc.

I don't think you need all that for sessional work, though, I did some during half term.
It would be saturday evenings 5-8ish, my mate does the same job on a different day and says it's good pay and you just make tea, wash up and bring people their meals. I need to stop being so lazy and apply for it :rolleyes:

Haha, go write your application NOW, go. :colone:
Haha, go write your application NOW, go. :colone:

I need to call up first. I can procrastinate for a bit longer :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending