The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beska
Doubt it! The medicine forum is pretty well modded afaik and there are (probably) willing medics who have been around a lot longer than me! I just help how I can. :yy:

Yeah, it is well modded right now. As for admissions, you probably have just as good experience as anyone, more up to date information etc, so I'd think you were fairly close. Although true, there will be people coming to the end of their time at medical school with far more knowledge of the courses/experience.
Reply 5161
Original post by Straight up G
Yeah, it is well modded right now. As for admissions, you probably have just as good experience as anyone, more up to date information etc, so I'd think you were fairly close. Although true, there will be people coming to the end of their time at medical school with far more knowledge of the courses/experience.

I've applied twice so I like to think that my knowledge of admissions and the technicalities of it all is pretty comprehensive, but in the grand scheme of thing I know pretty much naff all about what it's like to be in medical school. That's why I leave answering those kinds of questions to others. I take all the silly little admissions questions everybody else is bored of answering for the 1000th time. :p:
Reply 5162
Original post by Normandy114
Ah, I just find physics naturally hardest as I haven't done any for the past two years, and did very little even when I was taking it :tongue:

Ahhh fair enough, don't worry we still have much time :biggrin:
Reply 5163
Which means the CGP Physics GCSE revision guide should be enough?

Yes :smile:
Original post by Beska
I've applied twice so I like to think that my knowledge of admissions and the technicalities of it all is pretty comprehensive, but in the grand scheme of thing I know pretty much naff all about what it's like to be in medical school. That's why I leave answering those kinds of questions to others. I take all the silly little admissions questions everybody else is bored of answering for the 1000th time. :p:

Looking at your profile, there doesn't seem to be THAT MUCH change between your 2010 and 2011 applications. Would you agree?

And if you would, would you put your success second time round to a much better PS?
Original post by Limitless
1.5 A*
5A
3B

A* in Business Stud. and R.E short course.
A in Bio, chem, physics, maths, geography.
B in English lat and lit. and German.

Where you applying?
Reply 5166
Looking at your profile, there doesn't seem to be THAT MUCH change between your 2010 and 2011 applications. Would you agree?

And if you would, would you put your success second time round to a much better PS?

Pretty much exactly the same except a difference in UKCAT and PS. I would say the higher UKCAT made all the difference, although apparently my PS was markedly better as well (according to a few medic friends I showed both of them to on TSR). A high UKCAT can open up lots and lots and lots of doors for you.
Original post by ChessMister
Where you applying?

Thinking of Liverpool and Leicester at the moment. Why? What about you?
Thinking of Liverpool and Leicester at the moment. Why? What about you?

I'm thinking of stalking you at the moment. And- Liverpool, Barts, UEA, HYMS- something along those lines.
Original post by ChessMister
I'm thinking of stalking you at the moment. And- Liverpool, Barts, UEA, HYMS- something along those lines.

Yeah but it all comes down to how I do in the UKCAT.
Yeah but it all comes down to how I do in the UKCAT.

Same. I haven't book mine yet, and am trying to pack my holiday full of holidays, so possibly Barts
I really want to go into medicine but our ucas coordinator in our school said to all medical applicants that unless you get 4As at AS basically dont bother applying do you think that is right?
I do bio maths chemistry and economics
Hopefully(God willing) I may get 3 As but im scared i got a B in chem AS coz just messed up exam unit 2
Should I even bother applying if I get 3As and a B in chem even if I get like(hoping my teachers are in a good mood) 2a*s and 2 As predicted..or should i just go 4 something else
Really scared as whenever i try to revise 4 ukcat or make personal statement keep on getting a nagging feeling whats the point if i dont get the grades my teacher says I need

Would really appreciate anyones opinion and help:smile:
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
I really want to go into medicine but our ucas coordinator in our school said to all medical applicants that unless you get 4As at AS basically dont bother applying do you think that is right?
Hopefully(God willing) I may get 3 As but im scared i got a B in chem AS coz just messed up exam unit 2
Should I even bother applying if I get 3As and a B in chem even if I get like(hoping my teachers are in a good mood) 2a*s and 2 As predicted..or should i just go 4 something else
Really scared as whenever i try to revise 4 ukcat or make personal statement keep on getting a nagging feeling whats the point if i dont get the grades my teacher says I need

Most med schools won't even bother looking at your AS results, they only care about your predicted grades. :smile:
Reply 5173
Original post by usamakhanlodhi

If you are strong in other areas, then 3As and a B at AS isn't the end of the world. However, you need an A in chemistry A level. At my school, the chemistry department predicts you what you got at AS, sometimes lower. They said that they've never seen anyone ever go up a grade from AS

So my advice to you is to wait till results day, and if you don't have an A in AS chem, then have a good long think about the route that you're going to take into medical school.
The on screen calculator is so much bull****.
The on screen calculator is so much bull****.

i wanna take my own calc with me :frown:
Original post by as_94
If you are strong in other areas, then 3As and a B at AS isn't the end of the world. However, you need an A in chemistry A level. At my school, the chemistry department predicts you what you got at AS, sometimes lower. They said that they've never seen anyone ever go up a grade from AS

So my advice to you is to wait till results day, and if you don't have an A in AS chem, then have a good long think about the route that you're going to take into medical school.

I'm really starting to doubt how i did in my chemistry exam now :s and i wasn't feeling well during the exam either, i got the same answers as other people for the big questions but i felt like i made many stupid mistakes which'll drag me to a B :s-smilie:
Original post by Nator
Seems a lot more than it is trust :smile: Bet you been doing some bare UKCAT stuff? :cool:

Haha I wish, I've hardly done anything. Been working on my PS though.
Original post by oHellno
Haha I wish, I've hardly done anything. Been working on my PS though.

pff bet you've done like 9999 ukcat questions
Reply 5179
Any finished their PS first draft?

Latest

Trending

Trending