The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2960
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
You have copied my sig. :colonhash:

I didn't realise you had a copyright over Emma Watson's images, tbh. :colonhash:
Original post by zjs
I didn't realise you had a copyright over Emma Watson's images, tbh. :colonhash:

:plz2:

Just waiting for the day you also get a black username with no usertitle... oh wait. :colonhash:
Just sat here listening to some Howard Shore whilst engaging in deep thought. :moon:

On a film note: I've never been excited for a Harry Potter film, not really. But I'm really hyped for the last one.

Original post by Madjackismad

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 2963
:plz2:

Just waiting for the day you also get a black username with no usertitle... oh wait. :colonhash:

I've had the black usertitle for over a year now, tbh. As for the lack of a usertitle; that's nothing new either. If anything, I'm the trend setter here. :talkhand:
Just sat here listening to some Howard Shore whilst engaging in deep thought. :moon:

On a film note: I've never been excited for a Harry Potter film, not really. But I'm really hyped for the last one.

Spoiler

Maybe you can lift up the centre of the power which is The Back Room and throw it overboard (The Emperor) and throw it overboard. I mean, it is sucking the life out of TSR (Luke).

And I'm really looking forward to Harry Potter as well.

I've mixed my Star Wars up. FFS.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2965
Maybe you can lift up the centre of the power which is The Back Room and throw it overboard (The Emperor) and throw it overboard. I mean, it is sucking the life out of TSR (Luke).

So you think Ape is both Obi-Wan and Darth Vader? :colonhash:
Original post by zjs
So you think Ape is both Obi-Wan and Darth Vader? :colonhash:

No, check above. I got mixed up. :facepalm2:

Ape will slice The Back Room at the waist, but that still won't stop it. :emo:
Reply 2967
No, check above. I got mixed up. :facepalm2:

Ape will slice The Back Room at the waist, but that still won't stop it. :emo:

The fail is strong with this one. :console:
Original post by zjs
The fail is strong with this one. :console:

I see what you did there. :colonhash:
'According to British news reports, Nolan wants to shut down a major highway in Scotland, the A9, for an "epic" stunt involving a Lockheed C-130 Hercules plane, that will take three days to film.'

'Batman is on board a plane that is hurtling to the ground. 'The script says he takes control of it and lands it on the road while it's on fire. People are going to love it. It's a tremendous challenge.''

:awesome:
From Scotland, mother****ers. I have VIP seats. Y'all need to pay for expensive Virgin train tickets or bus or drive which requires expensive petrol.

Just need to find where they are. Will probably have to drive through a farm, knock down some sheep, stuff like that to get courtside seats.
Got all excited about Page One's release only to find out it's not coming to the UK until September. Boo.
New trailer for Apollo 18 and new release date (although this is about the fourth one it's had, from January to now September).

Oh gosh... This thread moves way too quickly.

I've been without internet (and films) in Moldova for a week now... :frown: Only three more to go!

Just thought I'd drop in and say hello. I'm still alive as well, in case anyone was wondering/cares :tongue:
Rewatched Dog Day Afternoon. Maybe it's because I haven't seen it in years, but I don't remember it being that darkly funny. It's like some sort of Beckettian ballet of hilarious failure and incompetence.

Also saw the Harrison Ford film Witness. Good, solid thriller and all, but marred somewhat by the same annoying synthesiser music that made 80's films (and presumably the 80's in general) unbearable.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2975
Original post by Christien
Rewatched Dog Day Afternoon. Maybe it's because I haven't seen it in years, but I don't remember it being that darkly funny. It's like some sort of Beckettian ballet of hilarious failure and incompetence.

Also saw the Harrison Ford film Witness. Good, solid thriller and all, but marred somewhat by the same annoying synthesiser music that made 80's films (and presumably the 80's in general) unbearable.

Never stop being so wonderfully pretentious, please. :daydreaming:

I have yet to see Dog Day Afternoon, but have received nothing but rave reviews and coercion on the subject. As I had revision to think about, I didn't relent. You've only just reminded me that I'd intended to watch it after exams were done and dusted.

Supposedly, the tension is sweaty and claustrophobic, Pacino is on top of his game and it's an edge-of-the-seat (for want of a better turn of phrase) experience? :holmes:
Original post by zjs
Never stop being so wonderfully pretentious, please. :daydreaming:

I have yet to see Dog Day Afternoon, but have received nothing but rave reviews and coercion on the subject. As I had revision to think about, I didn't relent. You've only just reminded me that I'd intended to watch it after exams were done and dusted.

Supposedly, the tension is sweaty and claustrophobic, Pacino is on top of his game and it's an edge-of-the-seat (for want of a better turn of phrase) experience? :holmes:

I couldn't if I wanted to. :sexface:

These people were correct to attempt coercion. Calling a film 'masterful' has become kind of trite when reviewing something favourably, but it does apply to Dog Day Afternoon. It is most definitely sweaty, claustrophobic and 'edge-of-your-seat'. In these respects it's probably most comparable to Twelve Angry Men in Sidney Lumet's filmography: the use of one main set, the ever-mounting tension, the recognizable but not intrusive style, and even the heat wave (cinematic shorthand for a stressful, volatile situation, innit). It has earned every one of the 'rave reviews' you've heard a dozen times over. :yes:
Reply 2977
Original post by Christien
I couldn't if I wanted to. :sexface:

These people were correct to attempt coercion. Calling a film 'masterful' has become kind of trite when reviewing something favourably, but it does apply to Dog Day Afternoon. It is most definitely sweaty, claustrophobic and 'edge-of-your-seat'. In these respects it's probably most comparable to Twelve Angry Men in Sidney Lumet's filmography: the use of one main set, the ever-mounting tension, the recognizable but not intrusive style, and even the heat wave (cinematic shorthand for a stressful, volatile situation, innit). It has earned every one of the 'rave reviews' you've heard a dozen times over. :yes:

I did feel that Twelve Angry Men was something pretty unique and excellent when it comes to the build-up of tension. As such, the sweaty, claustrophobic, atmosphere sounds like it would appeal very much; not least due to the supposed existence of plenty of 'black' humour.

I shall watch it a.s.a.p.
25 October 2011 :coma::coma::coma::coma:

With this, the Lion King, my inevitable buying of LOTR Extended + Star Wars IV/V/VI, it's going to be an expensive Autumn..
Personally I found it Pinteresque.

Quick Reply

Latest