The Student Room Group

AEA June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by DFranklin
It does, assuming you don't make any mistakes.

What about question 6f) - was C half way between A and B?
Reply 181
Original post by soczek322
Oh sorry I think I got 70 but wasn't really sure - I subbed in p = 4/3 and q = 3/5 and k = 6 into part b)

Yay I got the same answer as you, and a=1+p=7/3 :biggrin:
Reply 182
Answer to 3(c) is 70, surely? (k = 6, p = 4/3, q= 3/5, let n go to infinity). (I assume this is the sum question - question numbers are missing in the 1st uploaded page).

Damn, I did same thing as you but don't think I got that number, though that's not to say I didn't get it.

Well, I've dropped around 19 marks on stuff I couldn't attempt alone, and I've made a fair few mistakes on other stuff, so I'm hoping I don't drop more than 11 more. I could scrape a distinction via the skin of my teeth.

The mistake I've spotted so far is I possibily didn't get 70 for 3c, I only got 54 for question 1, some other guy got 144 too. Also for the integration question, I got 2 + 4ln(square root of 2) and they wanted it in the form a + lnb but I was rushing and I thought root 2 to the power of 4 was 2 -.-.

I saw question 1 and thought OMG I'm gonna fail this paper but I reaaally like how I did it, took me a few seconds.

I drew a right angled triangle, let tan(theta+35) = y/x therefore tan(theta - 53) is the opposite angle. theta + 35 + theta - 53 + 90 = 180 therefore theta = 54 :smile:.

What's ultra annoying is for the question where you had to solve function(t) = inverse function(t) I got a horrible quartic going on. When I got home I realised a MUCH simpler way. Since those graphs are symmetrical about y=t, they are always gonna intercept on that line so you could just solve for function(t)=t which would be rather nice and easy -.-. This is why I hated timed exams.
What about question 6f) - was C half way between A and B?
I haven't done the question, but I think it should be. (If BPA = 90 then AB must be a diameter of the circle).
Reply 184
I haven't done the question, but I think it should be. (If BPA = 90 then AB must be a diameter of the circle).

Thanks! What do you think the grade boundaries?
I'd have thought they'd be fairly standard (i.e. lower than 2010, but roughly the same as other years - maybe a little higher than typical).

I couldn't honestly say it looked a particularly hard paper.

Actually I re-look at the paper and I thought this isn't one of the worst AEA paper, if you compare to past yrs, like 04. I wouldn't be surprised if the grade boundaries are only lowered by few marks, like 3-4 marks, compared to last year.

The disappointing part of my exam experience is to make careless mistakes here and there!
Reply 187
Original post by superkinetic
Actually I re-look at the paper and I thought this isn't one of the worst AEA paper, if you compare to past yrs, like 04. I wouldn't be surprised if the grade boundaries are only lowered by few marks, like 3-4 marks, compared to last year.

The disappointing part of my exam experience is to make careless mistakes here and there!

I hated myself after the exam for those.....

I hope the grade boundaries are 75 or less for a distinction!
Reply 188
I hated myself after the exam for those.....

I hope the grade boundaries are 75 or less for a distinction!

Same, I keep finding more and more mistakes that I've made. Screw 75, I hope 70! If it was 75 that'd mean I wouldn't be able to drop like 3 more marks than I've already found, too risky for me :P.
Reply 189
Original post by Webbykun
Same, I keep finding more and more mistakes that I've made. Screw 75, I hope 70! If it was 75 that'd mean I wouldn't be able to drop like 3 more marks than I've already found, too risky for me :P.

I'm also worried about the presentation marks....
Reply 190
I'm also worried about the presentation marks....

Oh dude stop this! xD Okay I'm just gonna assume now I haven't got a distinction and prepare for my insurance uni :smile:.
damn im soo stupid!!

made a calculating error for calculating P' that is why i messed it up just did it now that literally cost me the whole question

****ing hell so angry with my self now :angry:
I found it a quite hard paper, also because a lot of the "more rewarding" answers could be solved only using the information gathered solving the first bits of the questions. For instance I had problems finding the reflection of P and finding m^-1(x) in the last question, so i couldn't solve those questions latter parts.

Q1 i didn't attempt
Q2 i got something like ln2, so i'm hoping to get some method marks.
Q3 i just showed the coefficients of x
Q4 i completed, and i got that maximum area occurared when a=pi/6
Q5 i solved part a and part b
Q6 i did a bunch of random calculations, not being able to find the coordinates of P' i tried to show the lenght of AP', BP' and so on, hoping they will be generous with method marks
Q7 Solved part a, began part b, couldn't find the inverse function

I needed a merit : (
Original post by travis.bickle
I found it a quite hard paper, also because a lot of the "more rewarding" answers could be solved only using the information gathered solving the first bits of the questions.
: (

Yh i have to agree most of the question u could not do if u couldnt do the first part of that question
What were the first 6 terms of the sequence in q3 I couldn't do the rest of it so I'm hoping I might get those marks xD

It annoys me that if you don't get a merit you get a u :frown: they should have a pass mark too :/

I really didn't like that paper! Meh
Reply 195
I thought it was horrific. :biggrin:
Sucks because I managed a Distinction on every single past paper, to be honest I will be lucky to get a Merit here.
I think I panicked and my brain shut down..
Reply 196
Original post by Agent Fiasco
Yh i have to agree most of the question u could not do if u couldnt do the first part of that question

I didn't manage to find P' and therefore i have no motivation to carry on and complete that vector questions. i would perfer those "show me" questions so that i can carry on. Annoying!!:angry: Oh well, I suppose this is the purpose of AEA?
And for q2 did you get in terms of ln|sec 1/2x| and tan1/2x cos I didn't get what you lot got but I'd like some marks :tongue:
Reply 198
Original post by SmileyGurl13
What were the first 6 terms of the sequence in q3 I couldn't do the rest of it so I'm hoping I might get those marks xD

It annoys me that if you don't get a merit you get a u :frown: they should have a pass mark too :/

I really didn't like that paper! Meh

I know, they should do it like those music exams where you have pass, merit and distinuction. I completely agree with you!

How annoying if someone was just one mark off a merit, but that other person completely failed that paper, and they both got U. Not fair, isn't it!
Original post by Agent Fiasco
that was very hard papers couldnt do too many question. btw did anyone manage to do number o wat was the answer i managed to get 2+ln2 which i assume is wrong since the two constants were a and b:confused:

i completely messed up question 3 and the vector one. how was number 3 done???

got the same . hopefully is correct

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending