The Student Room Group

AEA June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chanc04
I know, they should do it like those music exams where you have pass, merit and distinuction. I completely agree with you!

How annoying if someone was just one mark off a merit, but that other person completely failed that paper, and they both got U. Not fair, isn't it!

Yeah it's not fair!!! Sorry I acciently negged you D: will pos later!!
Original post by nick_the_big
got the same . hopefully is correct

me too XD

the only question i did quite well was the circle one with the square

wat did u guys gat as the centre and the radius and was was ur max area and were u able to show that its a max???
Reply 202
Original post by implus
This is how I did question 1:

another way:

tan[ (x-9) - 44 ] * tan[ (x-9) + 44 } = 1

use tan double angle, you get difference of two square on top and bottom of the fractions and you can tidy up to:
tan²(x-9) . [1+tan²44] = [1+tan²44]
tan(x-9) = +/- 1
so in the range 0<x<180
tan(x-9) = 1
and tan(x-9) = -1

giving 54 and 144

(of course, i forgot to deal with the +/- and so didnt mention the fact that tan(135)=-1 :rolleyes: )
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by RK92
even simpler:

tan[ (x-9) - 44 ] * tan[ (x-9) + 44 } = 1

use tan double angle, you get difference of two square on top and bottom of the fractions and you can tidy up to:
tan²(x-9) . [1+tan²44] = [1+tan²44]
tan(x-9) = +/- 1
so in the range 0<x<180
tan(x-9) = 1
and tan(x-9) = -1

giving 54 and 144

(of course, i forgot to check deal with the +/- and forgot that tan(135)=-1 :rolleyes: )
Far simpler: as cot(x)=tan(90x)\cot(x) = \tan(90^{\circ}-x), we have cot(θ53)=tan(143θ)\cot(\theta-53^{\circ}) = \tan(143^{\circ}-\theta); hence what we were asked to solve is tan(θ+35)=tan (143θ) \tan(\theta+35^{\circ}) = \tan~(143^{\circ}-\theta) from which θ=54+90n\theta = 54^{\circ}+90^{\circ}n. Obviously n=0n = 0, and n=1n = 1 give values of θ\theta in the desired range! :tongue:
Reply 204
I could not get the first part of the vector question, which is annoying because I could have done the rest of it, |I just couldn't because I couldn't do part i.
Reply 205
is the answer for part C of Q3 be 70?
Reply 206
Original post by ali25
I could not get the first part of the vector question, which is annoying because I could have done the rest of it, |I just couldn't because I couldn't do part i.

Me too. I don't know how to do the reflection of the 3D vector:frown:
Reply 207
Original post by Agent Fiasco
me too XD

the only question i did quite well was the circle one with the square

wat did u guys gat as the centre and the radius and was was ur max area and were u able to show that its a max???

(0,1/2) mate, n i think i got the radius to be 1/2, I hope i got that right as it was the only question which seemed to go well :smile:

As well, the value of alpha i got to be pi/6, can't remember what i got for area.

I decided to leave determining whether it was max or not, i thought i wud leave it till the end as I already spent too much time (on Q1 mainly), and only had about an hour for Q5,6,7:angry: so yeah, couldn't look at Q7 at all, only parts of Q6.
Original post by lawwainam
is the answer for part C of Q3 be 70?

yeah I got 70,

how do yo show that a^2 etc... is what they gave, I could'nt get it :mad:
So who else thinks they got a U?
Reply 210
Original post by OneMomentPlease
yeah I got 70,

how do yo show that a^2 etc... is what they gave, I could'nt get it :mad:

Do you mean Q5 (c) (i)?
I couldn't get it too.:frown::frown::frown:, sorry
By the way, is q=6, p=3 for Q.7?
Do you mean Q5 (c) (i)?

Ah ok, I really don't know why I couldnt get it, seemed simple enough...

And yeah I think so, well thats what I remember putting :smile:
Original post by Webbykun
Oh dude stop this! xD Okay I'm just gonna assume now I haven't got a distinction and prepare for my insurance uni :smile:.

What's yr firm? Are you majoring in math in future?

Do you mean Q5 (c) (i)?

Yeah that is correct.
Original post by superkinetic
Yeah you're to use dot product, to prove APAB=0\vec{AP} \cdot \vec{AB} = 0, as cos90=0. But then you got to find B first which depends on the P' from (a). That is the only method I can think of.

I didn't use vectors at all.

Since you were given 120, the opposite angle is 60 degrees.

Thus the necessary angle is 180 - 60 - 30 = 90.

The reason I had to do it this way is because I didn't know how to find P', or B, or anything.

How did people find the inverse function of m at the end? :s-smilie:
I couldn't find 'q' either. That was annoying.

I didn't do question 1 either.

I got 60 for the sum to infinity... :frown:

I couldn't show the last parts of the circle questions - I said that the radius of the circle was the normal to the curve, and that equals y - 1/2 - but I couldn't get the algebra out. FML.

Definitely not got a distinction. Ugh. Might not be going to uni. D:
*fingers crossed I got a 2 SOMEWHERE on STEP*
Reply 214
Original post by AnonyMatt

The reason I had to do it this way is because I didn't know how to find P', or B, or anything.

How did people find the inverse function of m at the end? :s-smilie:
I couldn't find 'q' either. That was annoying.

I didn't do question 1 either.

I got 60 for the sum to infinity... :frown:

I couldn't show the last parts of the circle questions - I said that the radius of the circle was the normal to the curve, and that equals y - 1/2 - but I couldn't get the algebra out. FML.

Definitely not got a distinction. Ugh. Might not be going to uni. D:
*fingers crossed I got a 2 SOMEWHERE on STEP*

I used the quadratic formula to find the inverse function.
Am I right?
And for Q4, alpha=pi/6, right?
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey guys, a couple of things.

Firstly, what did people get for 7 c) (10 marks)?

Part i) was to find m^(-1), can't remember the rest of the question though :frown:

Also what are your thoughts about what the grade boundaries are going to be this year?

I'd say this is the hardest paper I've seen and 2006/7 had distinction grades at 67 and 68 respectively so maybe 65 ish?

The only thing I'm clinging onto was the fact I got all of the vector question, struggled with 3 b, c, 5 c and 7 b & c.

Thanks.
Original post by SmileyGurl13
So who else thinks they got a U?

ME! :s-smilie:
Reply 217
Original post by jumping_homeless
Hey guys, a couple of things.

Firstly, what did people get for 7 c) (10 marks)?

Part i) was to find m^(-1), can't remember the rest of the question though :frown:

Also what are your thoughts about what the grade boundaries are going to be this year?

I'd say this is the hardest paper I've seen and 2006/7 had distinction grades at 67 and 68 respectively so maybe 65 ish?

The only thing I'm clinging onto was the fact I got all of the vector question, struggled with 3 b, c, 5 c and 7 b & c.

Thanks.

The grade boundaries of 2010 scared me.
The grade boundaries of 2010 scared me.
2010 was an aberration - very easy paper.
Original post by AnonyMatt

But that's not true that opposite angles in a kite add up to 180 deg; it's coincidental that both opposite angles add up to 180 deg, as one of the angle is 90 deg.

Assume there are 2 similar angles of 100 deg in a kite. Do the remaining opposite angles add up to 180 deg?

Anw, do u require AEA for yr offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending