The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Met up with some of my best Christian friends last night for a film and instead we ended up discussing the youth of our church. Anyway, we want to start up an informal apologetics/theology class for the youth in our church. I am so excited for this! We are going to pray about it for a while and then start studying everything in depth, anticipating it to start next May or so.
It's going to be epic and amazing. I'm praying hard that God would bless this and that He'd work and that we'd do it for His sake and for their sakes, rather than for our own.

I think the most amazing thing is how much the other two wanted to get involved with youth, God totally gave us all independently the same vision. Amazingness.
Original post by Calumcalum

I sent them a FB message saying "waheyy". If that's not you then someone's gonna think I'm weird.

Yeah, you found me! So did dreiviergrenadier (I had to copy-paste that, can't spell it at all!) I just forgot to reply. I'm fairly sure we used to be fb friends so it can't have been that difficult for you! :smile: x
Original post by d123
No, I don't, though I know a few people who go/used to go there :smile:

We don't have any mutual friends
You don't happen to go to B1 Church, do you?

We have two mutual friends, one from TSR, the other is someone I know IRL. How dya know him? :smile:
Original post by JB Johnstone
Met up with some of my best Christian friends last night for a film and instead we ended up discussing the youth of our church. Anyway, we want to start up an informal apologetics/theology class for the youth in our church. I am so excited for this! We are going to pray about it for a while and then start studying everything in depth, anticipating it to start next May or so.
It's going to be epic and amazing. I'm praying hard that God would bless this and that He'd work and that we'd do it for His sake and for their sakes, rather than for our own.

I think the most amazing thing is how much the other two wanted to get involved with youth, God totally gave us all independently the same vision. Amazingness.

Sounds awesome! We have an apologetics group at uni and a friend and I are hoping to start up a Theology Network (http://www.theologynetwork.org/) for the CU too. Highlights of my week :biggrin:
Original post by rainbowbex
We don't have any mutual friends

We have two mutual friends, one from TSR, the other is someone I know IRL. How dya know him? :smile:

He went to my high school! I tend to find I have at least one mutual friend with every Christian I meet in South England, it's kinda creepy :s-smilie:
Jesus is such a captivating person.

"A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling." Psalm 68:5

Excellent :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
He went to my high school! I tend to find I have at least one mutual friend with every Christian I meet in South England, it's kinda creepy :s-smilie:

Just oo popular :wink: :tongue:

No mutual friends with me :tongue:

(For everyone confused by the fact I have a Scottish Flag...I'm actually from Cambridge, I just go to uni in Glasgow!)
Original post by greeneyedgirl
No mutual friends with me :tongue:

(For everyone confused by the fact I have a Scottish Flag...I'm actually from Cambridge, I just go to uni in Glasgow!)

Yeah well... shhh :tongue: it'd be different if you went to uni here! I know a couple of people who you might have a few mutual friends with though (including someone from your school, I'm so disappointed you're not friends with them!)? Will see if you know them :biggrin:
Yeah well... shhh :tongue: it'd be different if you went to uni here! I know a couple of people who you might have a few mutual friends with though (including someone from your school, I'm so disappointed you're not friends with them!)? Will see if you know them :biggrin:

I might know them but just not be friends with them...or I might not know them. Chances are if they went to CU at school I know them :tongue:
Reply 5030
Original post by imomo16
For those of you that have been on a retreat: I'm curious how you felt about your experience? Did you feel it was beneficial to your faith/spiritual practice? Where there many other young people? (If it was an event specifically for youths, what was it like being surrounded by other like minded young people?) Did you ever feel overwhelmed, or like it was hard to come back to everyday life? What was your motivation for going? Basically I'd like to hear what it was like :smile:

(For context, I'm considering going on a 3 day introductory retreat to a Zen Buddhist Abbey, specifically for late teens/early 20s people. I haven't been practicing Zen for very long but I feel my practice would benefit a lot from some instruction and being able to discuss things with the priests, as well as spending some time in a supportive atmosphere dedicated to meditation.)

I've always found retreats beneficial - and yes, it can be hard going back into the "real world", but what's been difficult it for me hasn't been everyday life itself but trying to find space for what you've learnt amongst the business of everything else. Retreats shouldn't just be holidays - they should be teaching you to do or be something (even if that's just being more aware of God) in everything you do.

They can be quite intense, but if you're feeling up for some contemplation and self-examination, go for it. (Oh, and I've always been on individual retreats, so I haven't been to any with young people.)
How is everyone today? It feels so weird being free. :biggrin:
Original post by Tzarchasm
How is everyone today? It feels so weird being free. :biggrin:

Not too bad, thanks. :woo: for freedom! What plans to celebrate? :biggrin:
"Fulness of joy and eternal joy... are owing to the presence of God, no tto the accomplishments of man. Therefore, in order to love us infiinitely and delight us fully and eternally, God, through the cross of Christ, securs for us the one thing that will satisfy us totally and eternally, namely, the vindication and experience of the infinite worth of his own glory. He alone is the source of full and lasting pleasure. Therefore, his commitment to uphold and display his glory is not the mark of a megalomaniac but the mark of love." - Piper
Reply 5034
"Fulness of joy and eternal joy... are owing to the presence of God, no tto the accomplishments of man. Therefore, in order to love us infiinitely and delight us fully and eternally, God, through the cross of Christ, securs for us the one thing that will satisfy us totally and eternally, namely, the vindication and experience of the infinite worth of his own glory. He alone is the source of full and lasting pleasure. Therefore, his commitment to uphold and display his glory is not the mark of a megalomaniac but the mark of love." - Piper

Where in York are you moving to?
:angry:
Original post by Bakmouth
Where in York are you moving to?

I lived right outside the city centre, about 20 metres away from Walmgate Bar and 10 minutes walk to the centre. I moved there last September, moved back up to sunny Scotland about a month ago, moving to St Andrews this September. I just haven't updated my TSR profile yet. :smile:
Reply 5036
:angry:

I lived right outside the city centre, about 20 metres away from Walmgate Bar and 10 minutes walk to the centre. I moved there last September, moved back up to sunny Scotland about a month ago, moving to St Andrews this September. I just haven't updated my TSR profile yet. :smile:

:biggrin:

I spent around 12 months living on the university campus and then about 6 months on Hull Road. Good times.
Looking for good apologetics books which are not written with the public in mind. Any suggestions?
http://rapzilla.com/rz/music/freemp3s/3301-so-so-it-begins
He uses the freaking Inception soundtrack in one of his songs. Win!
Please may you people pray to the Lord with me in hope that he shall allow my great Auntie Audrey into the Kingdom of God? She died at the age of 85 today in her sleep following multiple strokes, when she was hospitalised. She led a good life, had many children and grand-children. Dearly departed and missed, RIP Auntie Audrey!

Latest

Trending

Trending