The Student Room Group

There is no such thing as a 'British race'

At least, not in the sense that you have 'BRITISH BLOOD'. Do you know what Britain is? It's a island that has been invaded by so many different cultures that we are now essentially CULTURELESS.

There is no 'British' culture. 'British' culture is a magpie culture - we steal from other cultures, stick in a cauldron and hodge-podge them together until we feel secure enough to say that we are 'British.'

Tell me, why is it that you are British and the Indian national isn't? Is it because he wasn't born in Britain? Is it because his parents weren't born in Britain? Is it because his first language isn't English? Go on, argue with me.

You're not British. You're a person from Britain. There is no British 'race'.

Edit: I suppose my question is: WHY do people think that Britain is defined by a skin colour? What do you think 'being British' means? Is it being born in Britain/having parents born in Britain/speaking English &c?

>>>>>> I admit that this is a bit of a bold and uh, flexible statement, but it applies in this context (the context of 'Britain is British and there is no room for other cultures'). I'm using my bold statements as a soundboard, and it wasn't my intention to offend those who strongly believe in British culture. I just want to know what people believe makes their blood British and, in the same way, someone else's NOT British.

Please, take your beliefs and put them in a box over there. Nobody's trying to take them from you or attack them. I want you to explain to me what you believe is British.

Also, having re-read my post, it doesn't come across very well. I mean that there is no... ahh it's hard to convey what I mean. There's no 'BRITISH CULTURE WITH NO ROOM FOR PAKIS'. There's no 'BRITISH CULTURE WITH NO ROOM FOR THE BLACKS', and so on. Do you understand? You're not the British race, to me, you're the British nationality. I hope you understand.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

We owned two thirds of the world at one point.

There is no such thing as an 'ANYTHING race'.
Reply 2
We know. Only idiots like the BNP go on about the ethnic Britons
Reply 3
Original post by ritchie888
We owned two thirds of the world at one point.

There is no such thing as an 'ANYTHING race'.

I don't understand how anybody can claim that they're like, 100% British or any **** like that, and that someone else isn't. Why does it even matter? You're like a mutt, just accept that Britain is a magpie culture
Reply 4
Original post by pierpebble

So... Does this thread have a question, or... ?
Reply 5
was just watching this, nick griffin is so dumb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFkWvw3Xvgk&feature=related
Reply 6

Um, alright. Thanks for clearing that up, I guess.
Reply 7
The British race is defined not by skin colour, but by culture.
Reply 8
Original post by Aj12
We know. Only idiots like the BNP go on about the ethnic Britons

It just astounds me, I can't understand it, I want someone to EXPLAIN to me what the hell is going through their heads :s-smilie:
British = Nationality
Caucasian = Race
Reply 10
Dwayne Chambers disagrees :colonhash:
I'm 100% British because I was born in Britain. My French friend is 0% British as he was born in France. Are you following?
At least, not in the sense that you have 'BRITISH BLOOD'. Do you know what Britain is? It's a island that has been invaded by so many different cultures that we are now essentially CULTURELESS.

There is no 'British' culture. 'British' culture is a magpie culture - we steal from other cultures, stick in a cauldron and hodge-podge them together until we feel secure enough to say that we are 'British.'

Tell me, why is it that you are British and the Indian national isn't? Is it because he wasn't born in Britain? Is it because his parents weren't born in Britain? Is it because his first language isn't English? Go on, argue with me.

Muslims are not and never will be British.

/thread
(edited 12 years ago)
Why is this in H&R? :s-smilie:
Reply 14

I know you're expecting a lot of pos rep from this post, but I just hate it when people use this boring old argument, because yes, :congrats: you're right, but the same goes for every other country in the world: countries get invaded, borders change, populations move in and out of territories. You're British because you were borin in Britain, or because you've been brought up with a shared set of values and cultural references.
Reply 15
Original post by in_vogue
I know you're expecting a lot of pos rep from this post, but I just hate it when people use this boring old argument, because yes, :congrats: you're right, but the same goes for every other country in the world: countries get invaded, borders change, populations move in and out of territories. You're British because you were borin in Britain, or because you've been brought up with a shared set of values and cultural references.

I don't even know what rep is for, sooo. It seems like people understand what it is to 'be British' and yet still a British Muslim apparently isn't British. Why?! I suppose that's my question.
Reply 16
Americans claim to be 100% American when they were repressed religious groups from Spain, Britain etc. but nobody whines at them for banging on about GOD BLESS AMERICA.
Reply 17
THIS is the kind of thing I mean. Is being Christian a part of being British? Why, when Christianity of any form is no longer our state religion?
Reply 18
I don't even know what rep is for, sooo. It seems like people understand what it is to 'be British' and yet still a British Muslim apparently isn't British. Why?! I suppose that's my question.

Of course a BRITISH Muslim is BRITISH.
1) Most societies have adopted things from other cultures and have been invaded so by this logic, there are no cultures anywhere, which is complete bull. Britain is different from other places in the world, it has a unique culture just like everywhere else in the world. Within Britain Scotland,Wale, England and NI also have their own cultures but they do share some common norms and values.

2) British is not a race its a nationality, I've never heard anyone try and excuse it as a race.

3) As far as I'm concerned home is where the heart is. If your heart is in a place then you'll respect it and feel you belong there. If you do not respect a place and feel you belong there then you are not home. If you're not home then you should leave a find your home. I apply this to everyone, whether they were born in the country or not, whether they're black, white, asian etc and regardless of where their parents are born. Yes it is possible for us to feel at home in two different places and we should all feel at home somewhere within this planet. If you don't respect any place and don't feel you belong to any place then I pity you for you have not yet found your home.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending