The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mevidek
yeah exactly... I don't understand how the Muslim point of view for instance is very fair or correct, considering people who go on murderous rampages and are also Muslims... But still, that's their view and it does not concern me.

Were you born into Christianity or did you convert?

Born into Christianity but converted (if that makes sense)...always claimed to be a Christian but a few years back chose to be confirmed, and last year started really making steps to leading a Christian life!
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Born into Christianity but converted (if that makes sense)...always claimed to be a Christian but a few years back chose to be confirmed, and last year started really making steps to leading a Christian life!

It's good to see that you've taken the right path. So are you a literal Christian or not?

I'm not really, I'd classify myself as a Non-Literal Anglican, although I do really like the Catholic Church and Catholicism as a whole, despite its negatives.
Original post by mevidek
It's good to see that you've taken the right path. So are you a literal Christian or not?

I'm not really, I'd classify myself as a Non-Literal Anglican, although I do really like the Catholic Church and Catholicism as a whole, despite its negatives.

I don't really class myself into any type of Christianity! I try to follow the Bible as best as I can and as far as I understand it...not sure where that all fits into any classification. Plus I hate the idea of pigeon-holing Christians rather than unity!
I don't really class myself into any type of Christianity! I try to follow the Bible as best as I can and as far as I understand it...not sure where that all fits into any classification. Plus I hate the idea of pigeon-holing Christians rather than unity!

Yeah I agree. I was born an Anglican, but carry both a Crucifix I made, and a Catholic Rosary. There shouldn't be any division in Christianity in my view, as it is pointless.
Original post by mevidek
Yeah I agree. I was born an Anglican, but carry both a Crucifix I made, and a Catholic Rosary. There shouldn't be any division in Christianity in my view, as it is pointless.

:five:
Original post by JB Johnstone
Looking for good apologetics books which are not written with the public in mind. Any suggestions?

Any area of apologetics in particular?
Reply 5066
Can I have prayers please? Things aren't so good at home atm so can you guys pray for resolution to the problems please.
Original post by Calumcalum
Any area of apologetics in particular?

Everything, really, except in depth rather than one of those many "20 greatest apologetic questions answered" books which cover some good subjects but not in any depth.
I'm studying the inspiration of scripture at the moment, reading a AWPink book online about it and he makes a fair few good points for the uniqueness of the bible (though I still think it's a bit of a jump to go from the uniqueness of the bible in comparison to all other human literature to its divine inspiration). I think by far his most convincing argument was the coherency of it.
A friend recommended this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/General-Introduction-Bible-Norman-Geisler/dp/0802429165
I've not read much Geisler except a chapter on sin from his systematic theology, but I've heard he's pretty good. 600+ pages sounds promising also.
Original post by 22KT22
Can I have prayers please? Things aren't so good at home atm so can you guys pray for resolution to the problems please.

Prayed :smile: hope everything sorts itself out for you!
Original post by d123
I've got a little prayer request. I'm not quite sure how to put this, because it's not a specific problem - it's more just a feeling, which is always hard to articulate. Lately I think I've been focussed on the wrong things. Or at least, it's not that the thing I'm spending most of my time thinking about is bad per se, just that all my energy is being wasted there (relationship issues is the simplest way to put it!) and I feel like I need to refocus. I'm not quite sure what I'm asking for - it isn't that I want a solution to the problem, more just the strength to stop worrying about it? I don't know. I'm sorry, this is a very unhelpful post!

I've prayed for you :smile: I think I know what you mean and think I can empathise too. It's very easy for relationships to completely absorb you :yes:

Original post by 22KT22

Prayed for you as well :hugs:
I just thought I would share a real answer to praver that I had this week.

As some of you may know my finance and I are getting married in october. Due to my current landlord selling my flat I have had to move out a few months earlier than intended so we had to start looking at a flat. God truely does provide. The day after we started looking for a flat we were contacted by someone from our church who told us about the former vicar from one of the other local churchs who was looking to rent out his two bedroomed flat. We went to see it yesterday and it was beautiful. It was not only perfect in the type of flat it was also perfect in terms of when it was available and the rent we were paying (plus a tiny deposit). After looking around the flat we all went an sat in their car and prayed about it and all felt that us taking the flat was the right this to do. It truely is amazing.
Reply 5071
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I've prayed for you :smile: I think I know what you mean and think I can empathise too. It's very easy for relationships to completely absorb you :yes:

Prayed for you as well :hugs:

Prayed :smile: hope everything sorts itself out for you!

Thanks :smile: things have managed to be sorted so a lot of worry and stress is off my shoulders.
Reply 5072
Original post by d123
I've got a little prayer request. I'm not quite sure how to put this, because it's not a specific problem - it's more just a feeling, which is always hard to articulate. Lately I think I've been focussed on the wrong things. Or at least, it's not that the thing I'm spending most of my time thinking about is bad per se, just that all my energy is being wasted there (relationship issues is the simplest way to put it!) and I feel like I need to refocus. I'm not quite sure what I'm asking for - it isn't that I want a solution to the problem, more just the strength to stop worrying about it? I don't know. I'm sorry, this is a very unhelpful post!

I think I know what you mean! Have prayed that you'll feel more grounded in your faith, so you have a strong base from which to address the issues. Hope everything's alright.

Original post by 22KT22

Original post by 22KT22
Thanks :smile: things have managed to be sorted so a lot of worry and stress is off my shoulders.

Praying that things will continue to improve. : )
Original post by marille
No no no, you're not allowed to say things like that! : (

I'd ask you who they were, but I know you won't tell me, so at least say how they know me? There's no way I'm going to work out who you are just from that information - I have no stalking skills whatsoever...

:biggrin: Sounds like you know me already... I still think you all have enough information to find me, if I give you more, it'll just spoil all the fun :wink:
Reply 5074
Original post by dreiviergrenadier
:biggrin: Sounds like you know me already... I still think you all have enough information to find me, if I give you more, it'll just spoil all the fun :wink:

Does your first name begin with P?
Reply 5075
Original post by imomo16
Thank you for your replies, everyone.

For those of you that have been on a retreat: I'm curious how you felt about your experience? Did you feel it was beneficial to your faith/spiritual practice? Where there many other young people? (If it was an event specifically for youths, what was it like being surrounded by other like minded young people?) Did you ever feel overwhelmed, or like it was hard to come back to everyday life? What was your motivation for going? Basically I'd like to hear what it was like :smile:

(For context, I'm considering going on a 3 day introductory retreat to a Zen Buddhist Abbey, specifically for late teens/early 20s people. I haven't been practicing Zen for very long but I feel my practice would benefit a lot from some instruction and being able to discuss things with the priests, as well as spending some time in a supportive atmosphere dedicated to meditation.)

1. I felt it was very beneficial to my faith and general sense of God as a whole. There is something about retreats that I cannot explain with words. You get a sort of buzz in you, and it just feels like you have confirmed your faith with your mind and body, and know that it is true.

2. There are people of all ages, and there is lots of events specifically for young people. It's good fun to go to.

3. Overwhelming is a good way to describe the experience, but not in a negative way. For me, it sort of blew my mind away, and just made me think "You know what, I honestly have no doubts in my belief now, and I'm certain a Christian God is the truthful God. There is just a sense of Euphoria everywhere there, and it is such a peaceful and restful atmosphere. It is very easy to see why people go many times.

4. My motivation for going was just curiosity, it was something I wanted to do because I thought it would bring me closer to God and strengthen my faith.

5. I have never being to a Buddist retreat, but if that is what you believe in then I have no doubt that it will be the same sort of experience for you. Good luck and God bless.
Reply 5076
Original post by dreiviergrenadier

...wait, what? I know you IRL, you mean? O.o

Either way, I really don't! :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by randdom
I just thought I would share a real answer to praver that I had this week.

As some of you may know my finance and I are getting married in october. Due to my current landlord selling my flat I have had to move out a few months earlier than intended so we had to start looking at a flat. God truely does provide. The day after we started looking for a flat we were contacted by someone from our church who told us about the former vicar from one of the other local churchs who was looking to rent out his two bedroomed flat. We went to see it yesterday and it was beautiful. It was not only perfect in the type of flat it was also perfect in terms of when it was available and the rent we were paying (plus a tiny deposit). After looking around the flat we all went an sat in their car and prayed about it and all felt that us taking the flat was the right this to do. It truely is amazing.

Saw this in other thread but thought would offer up my congratulations here! Really does sound like a fantastic thing! Hope all the rest of the moving stress and stuff works out! Not long till wedding now :crazy:

Original post by 22KT22

That's great news, prayers they will continue to get sorted and easier!
Original post by Calumcalum
Do we? :colondollar:

I didn't think we had any, but we actually have two! But I'm fairly sure we've actually [very briefly] met though...
Original post by d123
Does your first name begin with P?

Nope :tongue:

Original post by marille
...wait, what? I know you IRL, you mean? O.o

Either way, I really don't! :p:

Nah, I just meant your comment sounded like you already knew me. I'm fairly sure you don't know me IRL (yet anyway)...

Latest

Trending

Trending