The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ergo
Yup, the fees paid by internationals are enormous! Tuition fees will be paid by my parents. I'm really grateful in that I have parents who are supportive and willing to fund me, considering that my family's not too loaded in the first place. It will indeed be a financial strain should I pursue medicine in the UK as opposed to my country. (Local uni's my first choice as such :tongue:)

I haven't taken a look at grants/loans/stuff like that so I'm not too sure. There's no scholarship for medicine in my country :frown: I was thinking about working part-time if I get into UK med but my mum told me to concentrate on studying :dontknow:.

My situation's a bit complex so i'm not sure if i'll be applying as a home student or an international student...my parents are willing to pay but i dunno if i can get financial help from somewhere, my exams finished about a month ago, and i'm starting a part-time job from next monday to save up for the fees...

The way i think at the moment is that the no.1 priority is getting into medicine, and finance is no.2 ... but my parents keep moaning about it and it depresses me sometimes, makes me feel like even if i get superb results and everything and get a place in a really good uni, that i wont be able to go because my parents can't afford it, it's just a lingering thought in the back of my head i try to kill :frown:
Reply 5241
Original post by EternalDoom
My situation's a bit complex so i'm not sure if i'll be applying as a home student or an international student...my parents are willing to pay but i dunno if i can get financial help from somewhere, my exams finished about a month ago, and i'm starting a part-time job from next monday to save up for the fees...

The way i think at the moment is that the no.1 priority is getting into medicine, and finance is no.2 ... but my parents keep moaning about it and it depresses me sometimes, makes me feel like even if i get superb results and everything and get a place in a really good uni, that i wont be able to go because my parents can't afford it, it's just a lingering thought in the back of my head i try to kill :frown:

My sentiments exactly, getting into medicine first and fretting about money later. If you're worried about the money, perhaps you could look at the uni websites to see if they provide financial aid and scholarships. Alternatively, how about getting study loans? In the meantime, be nice to your parents :tongue:
Original post by Ergo
My sentiments exactly, getting into medicine first and fretting about money later. If you're worried about the money, perhaps you could look at the uni websites to see if they provide financial aid and scholarships. Alternatively, how about getting study loans? In the meantime, be nice to your parents :tongue:

Yeah once i get accepted into a uni, i'll speak to their financial department and see what support and stuff are available, i'm aware of a few of the scholarships available for unis i want to apply to.....and yea, gotta be extra nice to my parents for the next year :colone:

I'm gonna have the biggest sigh of relief ever once i've been accepted by a uni, and have the money to stay there at the campus.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah once i get accepted into a uni, i'll speak to their financial department and see what support and stuff are available, i'm aware of a few of the scholarships available for unis i want to apply to.....and yea, gotta be extra nice to my parents for the next year :colone:

I'm gonna have the biggest sigh of relief ever once i've been accepted by a uni, and have the money to stay there at the campus.

Your rep bar is a very odd colour :tongue:
Original post by Joseppea

It means he's teetering. We must save him.
Reply 5245

What unis are you applying to? :smile:
Original post by ChessMister
It means he's teetering. We must save him.

:eek: Oh noooooo D:

I stopped getting points for positive rep lately :confused: ...which sucks.

OH EM GEE MY REP BAR HAS TURNED GREEN!!! :O

Original post by Ergo
What unis are you applying to? :smile:

Cambridge
Imperial
UCL
King's College
Queen Mary's

i probably will cut off one or two of them once i've been to the open days, or depending on results and ukcat/bmat scores etc, should keep a low competitive med school in the case of rejections...but yea those are the 5 i'm interested in :smile:
Reply 5248
OH EM GEE MY REP BAR HAS TURNED GREEN!!! :O

Cambridge
Imperial
UCL
King's College
Queen Mary's

i probably will cut off one or two of them once i've been to the open days, or depending on results and ukcat/bmat scores etc, should keep a low competitive med school in the case of rejections...but yea those are the 5 i'm interested in :smile:

This reminds me that I really wanna go for open days but I live on the opposite side of Earth :frown:
Original post by Ergo
This reminds me that I really wanna go for open days but I live on the opposite side of Earth :frown:

'strailia brah?
Original post by Ergo

Whereabouts are you from? :smile:
Reply 5251
'strailia brah?

Whereabouts are you from? :smile:

I'm from Singapore :smile:
Original post by Ergo
I'm from Singapore :smile:

cool; where you applying?
Reply 5253
cool; where you applying?

Right now I'm thinking about Barts, Sheffield, Aberdeen and St. Andrews. Where you applying?
Original post by Ergo
Right now I'm thinking about Barts, Sheffield, Aberdeen and St. Andrews. Where you applying?

Barts-HYMS-UEA-Liverpool-Sheffield

something like that, give or take a med school

Are you applying for med school in Singapore?

Hey that's almost the same as me-

........wait a second, almost did it again then! :colone:
Reply 5256

Yup, I'm applying for med in Singapore as well and it's my first choice since its the cheapest option. However applications open after the release of A level results so there's still a long time. (and requirements are more competitive :frown:)
Only 2-3 months to go before we start the UCAS applications D:
Only 2-3 months to go before we start the UCAS applications D:

Then an agonising wait to see if we've been offered an interview... then an agonising wait to see if we've been offered a place... then an agonising wait to see if we've gotten the grades! D; Applying to medicine is such a horrible process :tongue:
Then an agonising wait to see if we've been offered an interview... then an agonising wait to see if we've been offered a place... then an agonising wait to see if we've gotten the grades! D; Applying to medicine is such a horrible process :tongue:

then an agonising 5 years of medical school, then an agonising 2 years in foundation

Latest

Trending

Trending