The Student Room Group

The Norwegian Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Not being able to eat or drink anything isn't a biggie for such a short exam. :P
Reply 301
Original post by ahpadt
Not being able to eat or drink anything isn't a biggie for such a short exam. :P

Hey, I didn't even eat at my chemistry exam this spring, and I sat there for close to six hours. (Severe visual impairment = additional time). :tongue:
It won't really be a problem to me neither. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 302
Original post by Einheri
I don't envy the fees you're going to have to pay though, although I've heard Lånekassen funds everything for up to about seven years, I think, so not quite so bad.

You could call it that, but most of it is a loan that you'll have to pay back after finishing your degree(s), so it could be a problem in the future. :^_^:

And the norm in Lånekassen seems to be support for up to 113940 NOK/year in tuition fees. Anything beyond that needs to be supplied by yourself. (Although you can get up to 61600 NOK extra for some unis. For Imperial, for example, you'd still have to cover a bit by yourself - although not a lot with today's exchange rates for the cheapest degrees :tongue:)

Original post by stifa
Nope.
Most of the universities accept a 4 on my leaving certificate (vitnemål). I talked to my English teacher about it and she said that VG1 English was their standard. I took a International English class last year, and got 4 (written) and a 5 (oral). However, I might consider taking the IELTS if that isn't sufficient; I wil probably consult with the universities regarding that matter.

Original post by Luceria
I've had 6 exams in my life (two were oral).. And all the written exams were 5 hours. Meh. Even "5 hours" isn't enough!

And what's all this talk about the IELTS test? I've read you didn't have to take a test like that if your grade was 4 or higher . But maybe that was just some Unis.

The unis will let you know in your offer if you need IELTS/TOEFL, so I wouldn't bother with IELTS unless specifically asked for it. :wink:
Reply 303
I'm applying for 2012, and I would actually like to have all my qualifications ready before January. I have started to e-mail a few of them though regarding my English qualifications.
Reply 304
Original post by stifa
I'm applying for 2012, and I would actually like to have all my qualifications ready before January. I have started to e-mail a few of them though regarding my English qualifications.

Good luck, then!
Reply 305
Norwegian boys are just like... whoa <3
Reply 306
Original post by stifa
Hey, I didn't even eat at my chemistry exam this spring, and I sat there for close to six hours. (Severe visual impairment = additional time). :tongue:
It won't really be a problem to me neither. :biggrin:

I almost did that during my first R2 exam and it was probably one of the factors to why I didn't do great (it was 2 years since I had done 2MX when I started studying it). On the attempt after (2nd and last) I ate a lot to keep the blood sugar up. Worked a treat and I was finished before the time was up. :biggrin:

Original post by Jørgen
And the norm in Lånekassen seems to be support for up to 113940 NOK/year in tuition fees. Anything beyond that needs to be supplied by yourself. (Although you can get up to 61600 NOK extra for some unis. For Imperial, for example, you'd still have to cover a bit by yourself - although not a lot with today's exchange rates for the cheapest degrees :tongue:)

So if I study at Bath Lånekassen will cover 113940+61600 of tuition fees or is that the total amount of money, loan and grants added? I've tried to read up on it at lanekassen.no, but ended up feeling more dumb after.

The tuition fee of the study I'm gonna do works out at roughly 130000 NOK/year. What I can't work out is how much I'll get paid as grants before each semester. Any insight?
(edited 12 years ago)
Could anyone tell me a nice way to say congratulations, I got a pod cast on I-tunes which has told me to use "gratulerer med dagen" for things like new year, may 17th and achievements but a Norwegian friend has just told me I said happy birthday to news of her new job :frown:
Reply 308
Those 61600 NOK are pure scholarships! :smile:

Original post by eggnchips
Could anyone tell me a nice way to say congratulations, I got a pod cast on I-tunes which has told me to use "gratulerer med dagen" for things like new year, may 17th and achievements but a Norwegian friend has just told me I said happy birthday to news of her new job :frown:

"Gratulerer" "Congratulations"; can be used in any of these cases.
"Gratulerer med dagen" "Congratulations regarding the day"; May 17th, birthdays, Father's day, Mother's day, etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by stifa

"Gratulerer" "Congratulations"; can be used in any of these cases.
"Gratulerer med dagen" "Congratulations regarding the day"; May 17th, birthdays, Father's day, Mother's day, etc.

That's cleared that up thanks!
Reply 310
Original post by eggnchips
That's cleared that up thanks!

Also,

"God jul" Merry Christmas
"Godt nyttår" Happy new year

These might also come in handy. :tongue:
Original post by stifa
Also,

Was just about to ask that actually, thanks again!
Reply 312
Original post by ahpadt

So if I study at Bath Lånekassen will cover 113940+61600 of tuition fees or is that the total amount of money, loan and grants added? I've tried to read up on it at lanekassen.no, but ended up feeling more dumb after.

The tuition fee of the study I'm gonna do works out at roughly 130000 NOK/year. What I can't work out is how much I'll get paid as grants before each semester. Any insight?

Since Bath is on the list of unis with extra support for tuition fees, you'll get the 113,940 as 50/50 loan/scholarship up to 58,260, then loan from there to 113,940 (so a total of ~29K scholarship and ~85K loan), the rest from there (from 114K to 130K) is scholarship, which adds up to a total of approx 85K loan and 45K scholarship for the tuition fees/year. In addition you'll get the ~90K for living expenses (~9K/month for 10 months, I think. This is the same as Norwegians in Norway get if they take up loans in Lånekassen while studying). 40% of that (~36K) will be turned into a scholarship if you pass all your exams (since you obviously won't be living at home :tongue:).

So in sum you'll have an approximate loan of 140K/year and scholarship total approximately 80K/year (assuming you don't fail any exams).

It's not exactly free, but hopefully worth it in terms of experience and general awesomeness. :cool:

I assume you already checked this out, but in case I misinterpreted anything, the link I used for my info is here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 313
Thank you very much! That did clear things up quite bit for me.

Given that everything is cheaper in the UK, 9k/month should make for decent living? UK students get a lot less than that and seem to do fine (ish)...

Once I get around to it, I'll make my own budget. :smile:

The experience counts for A LOT when you consider the whole thing. I'm not that concerned with the loan I'll end up with. It's not just for the degree.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 314
hmm: 9080 kr = £1054

EDIT: Multiply that with 10, and you get a bit more than 9k! :biggrin:
EDIT 2: Now I feel stupid, very stupid.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 315
Original post by stifa
Also,

"God påske" would be handy too, depending on when you're in Norway.
Reply 316
Hey!
How do I list my grades from the "vitnemål"?
"XXX#### Subject name" or do I only need to add the subject name? Also, do we send the unis a copy when we apply?
Reply 317
Original post by stifa
Hey!
How do I list my grades from the "vitnemål"?
"XXX#### Subject name" or do I only need to add the subject name? Also, do we send the unis a copy when we apply?

You're applying to a UK university, right? If so you should put the grade after the subject name. It's not a big deal though.
Reply 318
We list our subjects like this:
REA3012 Chemistry 2
REL1001 Religion and Ethics
and so forth...

Both of these are year 13 subjects; the former is an elective whereas the latter is compulsory. I was how some of the Norwegians studying in the UK list their subjects...
Reply 319
http://www.udir.no/upload/Tjenester/Norsk-engelsk_ordbok_for_grunnopplaeringen_2010.pdf

Use that :smile:

I got mine from my advisor at studyacrossthepond.com but most of them are prolly taken straight off that list. And yes, you do have to make a document where you show the translated name of all the courses.

The way I did my document was to scan the vitnemål, stick it in Word, make a table underneath the vitnemål with the courses in the same order, but with everything in English. I also started the whole thing with a rough explanation of how the document was written.

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest