The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zigzog7
nope, see if anyone here can get lower than 2 Bs in GCSE english.

:biggrin: that's so true
Original post by intellect212
Hey, just wanted to ask this question, has anyone got an offer from Oxford and their English GCSE was a grade C?

I've got a friend with an offer for Physics who got D in English. I think Oxford know that physicists don't need to know how to spell. :wink:
Reply 2022
Anyone else passing the time by reading incredulous posts by Americans about crazy Oxford traditions? Sub-fusc, I'm looking at you here. :awesome:
Original post by dbmag9
Anyone else passing the time by reading incredulous posts by Americans about crazy Oxford traditions? Sub-fusc, I'm looking at you here. :awesome:

Where are these posts? They sound like a good read :p:
Reply 2024
Original post by soutioirsim
Where are these posts? They sound like a good read :p:

Wasn't anything specific, to be honest: just Google (or search TSR) 'oxford sub fusc', 'merton time ceremony', 'oxford union white tie' and the like.

Incidentally, the Oxford Union's rules (which are longer than the constitutions of several countries), have some real gems.
RULE 51: DOGS
Any Member introducing or causing to be introduced a dog into the Society's premises shall be liable to a fine of £5 inflicted by the Treasurer. Any animal leading a blind person shall be deemed to be a cat. Any animal entering on Police business shall be deemed to be a wombat. Any animal that the President wishes to exempt from the Rule shall be deemed to be a mongoose.
4 hours for the results of my final exams... awww
Original post by lubie_tymbark

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by lubie_tymbark

Good luck, hope you meet your offer!

On another note, less than a week left until IB results. Nervous!
Original post by cynthialf
Good luck, hope you meet your offer!

On another note, less than a week left until IB results. Nervous!

SO nervous! I'm on holiday when they come out as well! Best of luck! I'll be lucky to get my prediction of 39 let alone your prediction! What are you?! Some kind of machine? Haha. :smile: I mean that in the nicest possible way. You must be insanely talented and hard working to be predicted 44-45. But as I said, all the best! :smile: I can only dream of that score... :moon:
Reply 2029
Good luck everyone due to find out results today!!!

You're all fabulous!!!!!
Yes, best of luck to all who are waiting :smile:
Original post by blahblah16
Ah no haven't done that but I think I may read in English after to
seal my understanding.. What is the lit crit book called again? And Somerville I hope!

The lit ctheory book I'm reading at the moment is "La notion de la littérature" by Todorov (the language is in modern French - I was looking at a short text when I saw the weird spellings, not a lit crit book)

Currently being discussed: "What is genre?" "Is genre a valid concept?" "From where does it spring?" "Is it still relevant?"

These ideas are too much for my lazy post-exam brain =S
So.... did anyone else notice that they've changed the name of the Computing Laboratory to the Department of Computer Science? New website too, although many of the pages seem unchanged. It's not really a big deal, but reducing ambiguity in these matters is always a good thing! I wonder if they'll make a new TSR account to reflect the name change :tongue:
Original post by meganeira
SO nervous! I'm on holiday when they come out as well! Best of luck! I'll be lucky to get my prediction of 39 let alone your prediction! What are you?! Some kind of machine? Haha. :smile: I mean that in the nicest possible way. You must be insanely talented and hard working to be predicted 44-45. But as I said, all the best! :smile: I can only dream of that score... :moon:

Haha don't know about a machine - I feel like my teachers somewhat overpredicted and especially the upper ends of IB points are always so random that I'll feel lucky if I end up meeting my offer...

Being on holiday is probably actually pretty ideal as you'll have something else to think about on the last days which will probably be the worst :biggrin: Best of luck with your results (and enjoy your holiday :smile:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Can'tStandStill
Hi :smile:
I'm in a bit of a dilemma here, my exams are over this week and my results are given this sunday so I want to send them by e-mail to the admissions office. but I e-mailed the admissions office at my college a week ago asking how i should proceed and everything and I haven't received any answer. I was wondering if anyone knew the procedure since I;m international and my results don't go straight to the college.

I mailed them in to Merton, and it was perfectly alright. Different colleges may have different procedures though.
Reply 2035
Original post by Sebsan
I mailed them in to Merton, and it was perfectly alright. Different colleges may have different procedures though.

Hey, are you starting at Merton this October? Are you in the Facebook group? :awesome:
Yup I made it :smile:
In for physics @ magdalen
Original post by dbmag9
Hey, are you starting at Merton this October? Are you in the Facebook group? :awesome:

I am(Law), and I am(Sebastian). :smile:
Reply 2038
Original post by Sebsan
I am(Law), and I am(Sebastian). :smile:

Coolio, jus' checkin'.
Original post by LtCommanderData
So.... did anyone else notice that they've changed the name of the Computing Laboratory to the Department of Computer Science? New website too, although many of the pages seem unchanged. It's not really a big deal, but reducing ambiguity in these matters is always a good thing! I wonder if they'll make a new TSR account to reflect the name change :tongue:

Indeed we have. And we've put in a request to The Student Room to change our account name. It's not something they normally do, but fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending