The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joseppea
Then an agonising wait to see if we've been offered an interview... then an agonising wait to see if we've been offered a place... then an agonising wait to see if we've gotten the grades! D; Applying to medicine is such a horrible process :tongue:

This is the point where you envy people applying to easy courses....but it'll pay off in the future once we've started our jobs :tongue:

OHH THE AGONY!!! D:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by EternalDoom
This is the point where you envy people applying to easy courses....but it'll pay off in the future once we've started our jobs :tongue:

OHH THE AGONY!!! D:

Well... that's what we hope! :biggrin:
Reply 5262
Does anybody know of or have somewhere or has seen somewhere online a definitive list of the UKCAT weightings at different unis? I found some info, e.g. at Aberdeen it's only 8% of your application and Leeds only use it for borderline decisions... but I'd like to compare all the unis at once :smile:
thanks!
Original post by loz876
Does anybody know of or have somewhere or has seen somewhere online a definitive list of the UKCAT weightings at different unis? I found some info, e.g. at Aberdeen it's only 8% of your application and Leeds only use it for borderline decisions... but I'd like to compare all the unis at once :smile:
thanks!

If you pm me the unis you know, then I'll do the ones I know. Then I'll ask for knowledge of the unis that other people know, and produce a table.

So far I know;

Leeds - optional mark available if you attain 2800, and are one below the interview criteria

Leicester - graded out of 30, 3000+ is 30, 2900 is 29, 2100+ is 21, etc. Combined with academics (also out of 30) as initial filtering to remove the bottom end of candidates

Sheffield - cut off, 717.5 average last year. Changes every year but usually around that mark.

Barts have a cut off, don't know what but apparently it was much lower than usual this year

Kings combine it with GCSE grades
Reply 5264
Original post by Straight up G
If you pm me the unis you know, then I'll do the ones I know. Then I'll ask for knowledge of the unis that other people know, and produce a table.

So far I know;

Leeds - optional mark available if you attain 2800, and are one below the interview criteria

Leicester - graded out of 30, 3000+ is 30, 2900 is 29, 2100+ is 21, etc. Combined with academics (also out of 30) as initial filtering to remove the bottom end of candidates

Sheffield - cut off, 717.5 average last year. Changes every year but usually around that mark.

Barts have a cut off, don't know what but apparently it was much lower than usual this year

Kings combine the UKCAT score with GCSE grades?
Also started your PS yet?
Original post by Nator
Kings combine the UKCAT score with GCSE grades?
Also started your PS yet?

Yes, apparently. Great grades can supposedly make up for an average UKCAT, or vice versa. I'm not applying to Kings so I haven't checked it out, so I don't know for sure, but I've read this in passing.

And no, but I've got two weeks to get a draft ahaha.

So far I know;

When you say academics, are yooh saying they focus a lot on GCSE ? Please say no :frown:
Reply 5267
Yes, apparently. Great grades can supposedly make up for an average UKCAT, or vice versa. I'm not applying to Kings so I haven't checked it out, so I don't know for sure, but I've read this in passing.

And no, but I've got two weeks to get a draft ahaha.

So if you have great grades and a great UKCAT then you got a good chance?

And loool similar situation here :laugh:
Original post by SylveeDiggs
When you say academics, are yooh saying they focus a lot on GCSE ? Please say no :frown:

No, they don't focus a lot. Academics is solely GCSEs, yes, the head of admissions said they don't consider AS results.

That is just part of initial filtering, to remove the bottom few candidates. If your UKCAT makes up for modest grades, then you are likely to get past that stage.
Original post by Nator
So if you have great grades and a great UKCAT then you got a good chance?

And loool similar situation here :laugh:

I don't know in all honesty, I don't know how much emphasis they put on it etc.

How much have you done?
Original post by medtobe
Download the UKCAT and BMAT uncovered for free.

http://www.scribd.com/Raaga92

Thanks a lot! you are awesomeeeeeeeeeeee!
Reply 5271
I don't know in all honesty, I don't know how much emphasis they put on it etc.

How much have you done?

Oh alright then, and haven't started it :rolleyes:
Status update:

Verbal reasoning: I can get 75-80% of the questions right
Quantitative reasoning: Just need to speed up a little
Decision analysis: Get majority correct
Abstract reasoning: complete fail

:colonhash:
Status update:

Then you're all set :wink:
Status update:

AR is such a pisstake
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Then you're all set :wink:

Is that the general state you were at when you went to sit the UKCAT?
No, they don't focus a lot. Academics is solely GCSEs, yes, the head of admissions said they don't consider AS results.

That is just part of initial filtering, to remove the bottom few candidates. If your UKCAT makes up for modest grades, then you are likely to get past that stage.

So youre saying Leicester don't consider AS results but GCSE?
How is everybody doing with their personal statement?
Original post by Xenia7
i'm stuck in my decision for uni.
sometimes i will decide yes i can do medicine...and other times i feel it will be too hard and the chance of me enjoying it would not be very high.
I am not as interested in the health and disease side of biology. I prefer the biochem side and using science in a different way other that human biology (dont get me wrong though, the idea of saving someones life is amazing)

What do you think i should do.
what other jobs could i go into after a biochemistry/biology degree baring in mind i would like a nice salary as anyone would.....?

The cure for cancer will be found in biochemistry so if you got into a good research lab you could potentially save thousands of lives. Im not sure about the salary but medicine is crap for money until you get to consultant level so its years of average pay compared to other professions. Medicine does have a bit of job security but so does research especially with the big pharmaceutical companies so you have to follow your own instinct. Suppose you could do biochem 1st then if it wasnt for you do med as a graduate
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Limitless
How is everybody doing with their personal statement?

1st draft down... about 75835 more to go xD

I'm realising how terrible my 1st draft is, so many things I need to reword/add/remove. :mad: Quite a difficult thing to get right! :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending