The Student Room Group

Edexcel Further Maths without Maths.

Is it possible to take Edexcel Further Maths AS without taking edexcel maths. I'm currently doing CIE maths and CIE does not offer an AS in further maths.
Reply 1
Further maths is more advanced than AS or A2 maths so I don't see why you would want to.

Update, after properly reading the question I see what you mean. I can't see why not. But generally you need to show some aptitude for maths before embarking on further maths.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by acomber
Further maths is more advanced than AS or A2 maths so I don't see why you would want to.

Because they're already doing maths, but with an exam board that doesn't offer further maths.
Reply 3
Original post by acomber

Update, after properly reading the question I see what you mean. I can't see why not. But generally you need to show some aptitude for maths before embarking on further maths.

AS further maths (edexcel) is easier than or equal to the same difficulty as AS maths

it's when A2 kicks in, everything changes...
I did this a while ago, naively thinking it would work, but edexcel refused to cash in my results because I didn't have A-level maths (I had IB HL maths instead). So I have exam results in 6 modules necessary for A-level Further Maths but can't actually get edexcel to aggregate them into an A-level.
Yes, I believe you can. It has it's own distinct qualification with the current Edexcel spec. Although you will need C1-C2 (C1-C4 for FP2/3 modules) knowledge to do it. This may be covered by your CIE maths course or not.
Reply 6
No you can't - from the Edexcel spec, page 112:

"Students who wish to take Advanced Subsidiary or Advanced GCE in Further Mathematics may be expected to have obtained (or to be obtaining concurrently) an Advanced Subsidiary or
Advanced GCE in Mathematics. Units that contribute to an award in A level Mathematics may not also be used for an award in Further Mathematics. Students who have obtained or who are in the process of obtaining Advanced GCE in Mathematics with an awarding body other than Edexcel should contact the awarding body to check requirements for Further Mathematics."
Original post by kevchenko13
No you can't - from the Edexcel spec, page 112:

"Students who wish to take Advanced Subsidiary or Advanced GCE in Further Mathematics may be expected to have obtained (or to be obtaining concurrently) an Advanced Subsidiary or
Advanced GCE in Mathematics. Units that contribute to an award in A level Mathematics may not also be used for an award in Further Mathematics. Students who have obtained or who are in the process of obtaining Advanced GCE in Mathematics with an awarding body other than Edexcel should contact the awarding body to check requirements for Further Mathematics."

The statement I have underlined reinforces the fact that Further Maths does not require ordinary Maths. The spec says they 'should', not 'must' (i.e. tis not compulsory), because it is for their own benefit to make sure they have Edexcel's C1-C2/C1-C4 knowledge, hence they 'should' contact the awarding body.

Secondly, to return to the beginning of your spec quotation, it says 'may be expected', in other words, there is a possibility that you may have to do ordinary maths - quite obviously for those have no maths at all. It is not uncommon for people on AQA/OCR to switch to Edexcel for further maths. It is rare however for someone without any a level maths at all to do further maths, hence they say 'may be expected', i.e. for the scenario of a student with zilch maths.

So don't neg me when you haven't even bothered to read properly what you've quoted. Especially when you're the one that's wrong.
Reply 8
Sorry for the neg - but I really don't want the OP to be misguided here. Further Maths is not a freestanding qualification and if he/she just takes the six units and asks for certification then it may well be declined, as BigFudamental said.

Further evidence can be seen in the JCQ document here
http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/1028/30.%20Grading%20A%20level%20Mathematics%20~%20Notice%20to%20Centres.pdf

"AS Further Mathematics cannot be certificated unless AS level Mathematics or A level Mathematics has been, or is being concurrently certificated.

A level Further Mathematics cannot be certificated unless A level Mathematics has been, or is being concurrently certificated."

The JCQ speaks on behalf of AQA, City & Guilds, CCEA, Edexcel, OCR ,SQA and WJEC.

The same statements are repeated in the guidance sent to centres here:
http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/1047/GCE%20Maths%20rules%20guidance%20for%20centres%20Sept%202010.pdf

And statement 6.5 in the Ofqual subject criteria says "all Further
Mathematics candidates are expected to have already obtained (or to be obtaining
concurrently) an A level award in Mathematics."
Reply 9
Original post by snow leopard
It is not uncommon for people on AQA/OCR to switch to Edexcel for further maths. It is rare however for someone without any a level maths at all to do further maths, hence they say 'may be expected', i.e. for the scenario of a student with zilch maths.

Agreed, people do switch specs from maths to further and OCR has a form for such people
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/forms/ocr_11132_form_l_gce_maths_man_cert.doc

And the form states:
"For a candidate to certificate AS Further Mathematics, he or she must have AS Mathematics or A level Mathematics.
For a candidate to certificate A level Further Mathematics, he or she must have A level Mathematics."

Now it may be that what the OP has learnt is equivalent to an A level in Maths, in which case Edexcel might let him/her take Further and get an overall grade. But they would need to be told so that they can check it's all above board. For example, there might be lots of mech and no stats in the qualification they have done. In which case Edexcel would want to be sure that the OP is not doing either M1 or M2 in Further.
The regulations require Further Maths to be accompanied by Maths, but as long as you've got Maths A Level or are at least in the process of doing it somewhere, then it should be OK to do Further Maths with another board.

What will probably happen is that when you enter the Further Maths with Edexcel, they will contact the exams officer at your centre to find out the situation re Maths. As well as checking that you are doing or have done it, they'll probably also want to know about the units being taken to ensure that there's no doubling up.
You had done this before? One of my student wanna do the same, did u get your result ? Appreciated if u answer the question thanks
Original post by BigFudamental
I did this a while ago, naively thinking it would work, but edexcel refused to cash in my results because I didn't have A-level maths (I had IB HL maths instead). So I have exam results in 6 modules necessary for A-level Further Maths but can't actually get edexcel to aggregate them into an A-level.
Original post by Samuel chan
You had done this before? One of my student wanna do the same, did u get your result ? Appreciated if u answer the question thanks

This discussion occured in 2011. There is a good chance that none of the participants are still active on TSR.

Edexcel have allowed, on request, CIE A level maths candidates to complete a Further Maths domestic or international A level or AS using the current modular specifications. This is not possible if the candidate has completed IB.

IF the candidate is in the UK it may be possible to take the new linear FS specification exams introduced this year since further maths is now a separate qualification from maths with no unit overlaps. I have not verified this with Edexcel and I would recommend you contact them through their web site.
I’m not sure that you can......
Although I don’t know anyone who’s tried, so go for it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending