The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2020
Original post by candide
Hmm, I guess if your school is French-English billingual, does that mean everyone is equally comfortable in both? i.e. do you and your friends all speak to each other in English and French, often slipping between the two, as the convo goes on? Is that why you find it takes some adjusting to talk to a monoglot?

It's an interesting fact that the ten world languages are spoken by 80% of the world population. 10% of the remainder speak the likes of Swedish or some Indian languages, which aren't likely to go extinct as they are still strong in the core regions. The final 10% contains over 5000 of the world's 6000 languages, most of them endangered, dying, etc - some are tribal languages with fewer than a hundred speakers. e.g. New Guinea had over a 1000 in the middle of the 20th century.

Well, basically everyone has to be biligual in two languages, the common language being french, but what it does mean is that if you do slip into a different language, noone thinks you're strange / unbearably pretentious! To be honest, it's mainly when I'm tired that it's really bad.

I read something about a language only spoken by about a dozen people in New Guinea, and their children who were losing the language because it wasn't taught at school. The article was debating the ethics of sending over linguists to make records of it, an whether it was a futile exercise.
Original post by such_a_lady
Okay, well my motive is not as cool as yours. :wink:

Um...no... :tongue: It's from the song "Berlin City Girl" by Culcha Candela, YouTube it :smile: It means "She is a Stuttgart city girl, and she knows that the world belongs to her". I used to think it was "und sie weiß, dass sie der Wecker ist", which means "and she knows that she is the alarm clock" :facepalm:

:frown:.......It appears I cannot read German.

Wait, I never could :colondollar:

Although, it would be very useful for studying Nazi Germany....
Original post by Perseverance
Hey, minor question but how are you visiting LSE? Are you going on a self guided tour? I missed the open day, but still want to see it, that and UCL :smile:

I'm going on an International History open day tomorrow, organisied by the University of London, which I applied for a taster day, I applied back in March!

I know, I still want to visit King's and UCL in London, as I missed the open day for them...me & my friend will hopefully be able to go to London and do a self-guided tour, for now I'm just looking at pictures and virtual tours, but it's not the same</3
Original post by fluteflute
Here's my CS Uni spreadsheet (well with a few more personal notes taken out...): https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asg7Ze9sc7PfdG9oMUJ1c0VIM1AtSVM2TTJScnBESkE&hl=en_GB&authkey=CIzop9kJ

My spreadsheet of Oxford colleges is probably fairly dull because it only has the 13 CS colleges, so I won't bother posting that unless anyone asks...

Nice. :biggrin:

Same with my Oxford college info doc. :colondollar: Irrelevant to most colleges as it only has the information useful to me... and I think it has accommodation prices in CAD.
Reply 2024

Story of my life, seriously. Brilliant!
Hmmm we could start a college spreadsheet...
I've already had to throw out Bath from my choices :cry: I've actually made a spreadsheet with the headings University Name, Times League Table ranking, Location, Prettiness factor, Course rating, Standard offer, Overall rating, Notes. It gets rather heated at times. If any linguists would like to see it, I'd be more than happy to share. However, my interest is in 18th and 19th century literature, so therefore I don't want a course focusing on contemporary Latin American literature or including a compulsory history module on 1930-1990 Germany...ew.

Sigh.

I've made a spreadsheet too, mine contains a few more things though: details from the Unistats website. So I have the average number of UCAS points, percentage in a job 6 months later, perfectage satisfied with the curse and number of students. I also have the driving times in minutes from my house.

From those factors, I've assigned each university a score and sorted them in order. (You can tell I'm a computer scientist) Oxford comes out on top!

THANK GOODNESS. I thought I was the only one weird enough to make a "university comparison" spreadsheet, it has the standard offer, year abroad programmes, university type, average price of halls, fees and busaries, campus, local area, rankings from Times/Guardian/Independent, average of rankings, open day dates, student:staff ratio, career prospects, £ spent per student, entry tariff and "value added" because it sounds cool. I'm obsessed, and the spreadsheet took an entire weekend.

Now to visit and analyse/ compare the actual COURSES (maybe should of done this first?) and narrow down from 13 to 5 universities...
Ah...you can tell I'm an Arts student that I've included a Prettiness Factor :lol: I've got 15 universities on there, and I only want to go to three :frown: That was really depressing...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AswtVZCr0waodFRNOEJzNnRuTHVtYzk4ZFE1SmY3ZVE&hl=en_US

if anyone wants to read my crazy notes :tongue:

:lol: Thanks, these were very entertaining. Lancaster gets a "1" for "prettiness".

Admittedly their campus does bear an uncanny resemblance to an incinerator...:p

HANG ON, just made a discovery on your spread sheet, why do Exeter & Southampton have such low prettiness scores? Are their campuses ugly or is it the surrounding area? This information is essential to my search, and as I have never visited either of these I am relying on you, although I will admit York University looks like a car park :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Hmmm we could start a college spreadsheet...

So I started one.... not sure if I particularly fancy doing much work on it (there's a heck of a lot of colleges!)

But if anyone does...
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asg7Ze9sc7PfdDRqUlBZdzN3OGprVmp1ZFdZcEFQM0E&hl=en_GB
Anyone applying for linguistics + modern languages? :smile:
Original post by Lac.
Well, basically everyone has to be biligual in two languages, the common language being french, but what it does mean is that if you do slip into a different language, noone thinks you're strange / unbearably pretentious! To be honest, it's mainly when I'm tired that it's really bad.

I read something about a language only spoken by about a dozen people in New Guinea, and their children who were losing the language because it wasn't taught at school. The article was debating the ethics of sending over linguists to make records of it, an whether it was a futile exercise.

My opinion that it would be best to let the language die naturally (unless the people themselves want to preserve it) - but the records are important for development of linguistic theories, like how fossils are useful for developing evolutionary theories :moon:
x

I edited a bit of your colleges spreadsheet... hope you don't mind. :tongue: I got bored halfway through and stopped, though...

ANOTHER RANDOM CONVERSATION TOPIC!!!

Forget a subject you'd like instead of yours, what subject's students do you want to be FRIENDS with?

Me: Classics, Maths/Physics/CompSci & Philosophy, History, English.

Bring on the interesting knowledge! :wink:
Original post by punctuation

I edited a bit of your colleges spreadsheet... hope you don't mind. :tongue: I got bored halfway through and stopped, though...

Awesome :smile: I want people to edit it... :biggrin:

Forget a subject you'd like instead of yours, what subject's students do you want to be FRIENDS with?

Me: Classics, Maths/Physics/CompSci &amp; Philosophy, History, English.

Wooh we can be friends! Hmm, not too keen on learning about English... most other things I think would be cool though :smile: (although probably quite hard to pick up at Oxford level!)
Awesome :smile: I want people to edit it... :biggrin:

Wooh we can be friends! Hmm, not too keen on learning about English... most other things I think would be cool though :smile: (although probably quite hard to pick up at Oxford level!)

Yay! Also I quite-creepily noted your name is Gregory from your email because of Google Docs... so hi!

It reminds me of The Metamorphosis by Kafka which I'm currently reading (half in German half in English). :rolleyes:

Yay! Also I quite-creepily noted your name is Gregory from your email because of Google Docs... so hi!
Stalker :wink: You can all call me Greg though... but if you're anything like me you'll forget! I am awful with names.

Me: Classics, Maths/Physics/CompSci & Philosophy, History, English.

none, because non maths students are inferior

All of them really! Except philosophy :smile: (no offence to any philosophy students)
Original post by dnumberwang

All of them really! Except philosophy :smile: (no offence to any philosophy students)

Awww... :cry:

In my defense it's not straight philosophy... :colondollar:

Stalker :wink: You can all call me Greg though... but if you're anything like me you'll forget! I am awful with names.

Yep I'll definitely forget. So far I remember Chiara, Sven, Sophia, Greg, Domnhail (sp? D: ), and... erm that's it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Awww... :cry:

In my defense it's not straight philosophy... :colondollar:

Yep I'll definitely forget. So far I remember Chiara, Sven, Sophia, Greg, Domnhail (sp? D: ), and... erm that's it.

You can't do this at Oxford anyway though, just so ya know. Has to be joint honours :smile:
Original post by dnumberwang

You might be taught alongside people who are doing joint honours: Mathematics and Philosophy. I hope you can deal with.
Original post by Niki_girl
:lol: Thanks, these were very entertaining. Lancaster gets a &quot;1&quot; for &quot;prettiness&quot;.

Admittedly their campus does bear an uncanny resemblance to an incinerator...:p

HANG ON, just made a discovery on your spread sheet, why do Exeter &amp; Southampton have such low prettiness scores? Are their campuses ugly or is it the surrounding area? This information is essential to my search, and as I have never visited either of these I am relying on you, although I will admit York University looks like a car park :smile:

I wrote you a damn long reply and my internet crashed, fml. Okay, well:

That whole thing you wrote made me giggle so much! Glad my spreadsheet's of use to someone :tongue:

Well, basically if I open the prospectus and don't immediately see stunning architecture, that's a clue, and I GoogleImage it to see. If it looks like my school or a car park or a factory, it's out. I've visited Southampton a few times and each time, my heart sinks because it's the polar opposite of Oxford...

I want to study somewhere beautiful, dammit!

Latest

Trending

Trending