The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3020
Original post by Phalanges

Hell yeah. I haven't seen a good Tom Cruise film since MI3.

Wow, those Burj Khalifa shots look awesome. What was the budget for this film?

I can't make my mind up about Cruise. On one hand he's a Scientology ****er but on the other he's awesome in the MI films.
Reply 3021
Anyone seen Bridesmaids? I'm seeing it tonight with a few mates, looks promising.
Original post by Roobsa

Original post by Roobsa
Wow, those Burj Khalifa shots look awesome. What was the budget for this film?

I can't make my mind up about Cruise. On one hand he's a Scientology ****er but on the other he's awesome in the MI films.

I'm of the opinion that it's not his fault he was brainwashed by people far more devious than he, and that shouldn't preclude me from enjoying the films of his that are very enjoyable.

I think the budget is about the same as the last one, somewhere in the region of $150m. So it's not that big compared to some blockbusters, but they always seem to get maximum value out of it. What I'm always impressed with is the calibre of director they always seem to attract to this franchise.
Reply 3023
Original post by Phalanges
I'm of the opinion that it's not his fault he was brainwashed by people far more devious than he, and that shouldn't preclude me from enjoying the films of his that are very enjoyable.

I think the budget is about the same as the last one, somewhere in the region of $150m. So it's not that big compared to some blockbusters, but they always seem to get maximum value out of it. What I'm always impressed with is the calibre of director they always seem to attract to this franchise.

Brainwashed maybe but this article implies he's involved in a considerably darker side to Scientology. The article isn't entirely about him but Cruise is mentioned about half way down. But that's another conversation not suitable for this thread.

The MI series are good though. I've really enjoyed all the films so far.
Reply 3024
Original post by aja89
Anyone seen Bridesmaids? I'm seeing it tonight with a few mates, looks promising.

Watched it with my girlfriend.

I actually thought it was a good comedy. Like an Apatow comedy, but from a girl's perspective rather than being such a guy-orientated comedy. I mean that as a compliment. Apatow's comedies are excellent. Bridesmaids captures all that makes them great, but from a women's point of view.

It uses the same type of humour that an Apatow comedy does - i.e. dry, realistic and well-observed, so it's actually funny and something you can genuinely imagine being said, unlike a lot of supposed comedies 'aimed at girls', which just pander to making humour in a certain way (i.e. Bride Wars, the Devil wears Prada etc).

Kristen Wiig is always infinitely watchable, and was a great lead. :yes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Roobsa

Original post by Roobsa
The MI series are good though. I've really enjoyed all the films so far.

I thought MI2 was an indecipherable mess that made very little sense (but at least let Woo run amok with doves), but the first was great fun. The third one was definitely my favourite, it had so many great sequences.
Reply 3026
I haven't watched any of the MI films. They haven't seemed to me like films I'd hugely enjoy. :dontknow:

I might watch The French Connection tonight.
Reply 3027
Some awesome behind the scenes photos.

Spoiler

^^Dustin Hoffman:biggrin:.

Some brilliant pics, though.
Kubrick. :adore:
Reply 3030
SALT IS ON, SKY PREM + 1, just started.
Original post by Millz
SALT IS ON, SKY PREM + 1, just started.

It has been for the past week :tongue:
Reply 3032
Original post by cambo211
It has been for the past week :tongue:

Lol, I am late to the party then. :colondollar:
Tim Burton's Batman this evening. Billy Dee Williams + Jack Nicholson + soundtrack by Prince = WIN. :borat:
Original post by Millz

Sky Movies new stuff generally starts on fridays and runs for a week.

The big release this week is Scott Pilgrim.
hmm kinda interested in MI4, though I thought / still think it MI should have just been a trilogy. Tom cruise is still doing action films eh, can't say I'm too surprised
Original post by lukejoshjedi
hmm kinda interested in MI4, though I thought / still think it MI should have just been a trilogy. Tom cruise is still doing action films eh, can't say I'm too surprised

LOL what else would he do?

In other news I just came back from Transformers 3... meh
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
LOL what else would he do?

In other news I just came back from Transformers 3... meh

true, I could see him playing a manic/crazy boyfriend in a romcom though, with Reese witherspoon or something

Meh? lol but it looks soo good :eek: tbh I'm already expecting to be dissapointed by Rosies' acting, haven't heard too many good things about her
Original post by Millz

I thought it was a crap film*, watch The Basketball Diaries instead.

*Jolie cannot do the straight armed spy run, best exemplified by Cruise at some point in MI3. The plot wasn't intriguing; the Russian spy elements seemed all too American.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending