The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by Hemzo
In all the prospectuses I've seen, it's always sunny.. I think they're photoshopped because there's not a big chance of the weather being like that when your studying there from October to June :tongue: (well possibly June, but you know what I mean)

Were you using online prospectuses? :colone:
Reply 961
UCL looks really good for economics, but they said they are neutral on FM, so if there is an applicant offering FM A2 or History A2, they will not always chose the person with FM, just because they are doing FM, they will assess each application further (pardon the pun) and then make the decision, also the cut off point for GCSEs are 7A*s if you come from a top private school, and 5-6A*s if you dont.
Reply 962
Original post by somaiyar
UCL looks really good for economics, but they said they are neutral on FM, so if there is an applicant offering FM A2 or History A2, they will not always chose the person with FM, just because they are doing FM, they will assess each application further (pardon the pun) and then make the decision, also the cut off point for GCSEs are 7A*s if you come from a top private school, and 5-6A*s if you dont.

Where on earth did you hear that?

I was told the more A-Level Maths, the better, so I sort of disagree that they are neutral.
Reply 963
Both were from the admissions tutor at UCL today, he actually said 7A*s from a top private, and this would be slightly "relaxed" if its a state
Reply 964
Original post by Groat
I asked him about nights out and contrary to popular belief, there is plenty to do, just not as much as big cities such as London. I think that would suit my personality, anyway.

I agree with this. I think as long as you have a good group of friends you don't need to go clubbing every night to have a good time.

Original post by somaiyar
Both were from the admissions tutor at UCL today, he actually said 7A*s from a top private, and this would be slightly "relaxed" if its a state

7 A*s from a TOP private and 6 A* from a state school? I don't understand what their reasoning behind that is at all. I find it hard to believe they would have a cut off point for applicants GCSEs and reject them if they didn't meet it, especially with all this stuff about widening participation. Did he explicitly say this or are you just embellishing the truth?
Reply 965
Original post by Psychotic546
Hmm yeah fair enough, can't imagine St. A is particularly competitive (in terms of which unis we're looking at).

St. Andrews was actually 10:1 (roughly) in 2009 so it's actually just as competitive as Cambridge :/

I really don't know what to do about choosing universities, I feel like I've got to aim low for my fifth choice because of my GCSEs (5A*) but then I know I'd be able to cope at a top 5 so I don't want to sell myself short
Original post by Tateco
St. Andrews was actually 10:1 (roughly) in 2009 so it's actually just as competitive as Cambridge :/

I really don't know what to do about choosing universities, I feel like I've got to aim low for my fifth choice because of my GCSEs (5A*) but then I know I'd be able to cope at a top 5 so I don't want to sell myself short

True but you can't just look at ratio's, you have to consider the quality of the applicants.

You applying to LSE with 5 A*'s? Don't they usually look quite closely at GCSE's?
Reply 967
True but you can't just look at ratio's, you have to consider the quality of the applicants.

You applying to LSE with 5 A*'s? Don't they usually look quite closely at GCSE's?

I did discount it but it's still not completely out of my considerations. The only 3 I'm sure of are Cambridge, UCL and Bath. Where are you thinking of applying?
Reply 968
Original post by Groat
Where on earth did you hear that?

I was told the more A-Level Maths, the better, so I sort of disagree that they are neutral.

How'd you guess? :tongue:

Had my East London University UCAS thingy today and it was not much difference from my Olympia day one, got into the Economics talk and it was fairly interesting. 3 things the personal statement should have is your own achievements etc and how they are applicable to the course at hand, what you would add to the university you've applied to and something else I can't remember :tongue:

Queen Mary looks like a nice place aswell :smile:

Oh and Tat, I asked them about Further Maths and they said that you should state that the option was not available to you to study Further Maths in your reference or by sending them an email and notifying them.
Original post by Tateco
I did discount it but it's still not completely out of my considerations. The only 3 I'm sure of are Cambridge, UCL and Bath. Where are you thinking of applying?

Cambridge, Warwick, UCL/LSE (undecided), Nottingham and an other such as York.

I think I'll probably end up applying to LSE
Reply 970
Cambridge, Warwick, UCL/LSE (undecided), Nottingham and an other such as York.

I think I'll probably end up applying to LSE

GCSEs and A-levels? I can see mine going something like Cambridge, Warwick or Nottingham), UCL, Bath then an 'insurance'
Reply 971
Original post by Hemzo

Oh and Tat, I asked them about Further Maths and they said that you should state that the option was not available to you to study Further Maths in your reference or by sending them an email and notifying them.

Thanks for the heads up mate, my reference has already said he'd try and do that for me :smile: I'm hoping it's not as much of a big deal as some people on here make out and my UMS scores in maths should make up for it. EDIT: (Because the reason they want you to do further maths is to show you'll be competent enough for the course, if I get close to 100% in all maths modules I should be demonstrating this.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 972
Original post by Tateco
Thanks for the heads up mate, my reference has already said he'd try and do that for me :smile: I'm hoping it's not as much of a big deal as some people on here make out and my UMS scores in maths should make up for it. EDIT: (Because the reason they want you to do further maths is to show you'll be competent enough for the course, if I get close to 100% in all maths modules I should be demonstrating this.)

Ahh I see and no worries pal :smile:
Original post by Tateco
GCSEs and A-levels? I can see mine going something like Cambridge, Warwick or Nottingham), UCL, Bath then an 'insurance'

10 A*'s and an A at GCSE.
Doing Maths, FM, History and Economics at A level (dropping Chemistry).
Reply 974
Original post by Hemzo

Had my East London University UCAS thingy today and it was not much difference from my Olympia day one, got into the Economics talk and it was fairly interesting. 3 things the personal statement should have is your own achievements etc and how they are applicable to the course at hand, what you would add to the university you've applied to and something else I can't remember :tongue:

Queen Mary looks like a nice place aswell :smile:

Heh, I was there in that talk. I was the one in the blue hoodie fooling around with the Tamil kid in the middle section 3rd/4th row :colondollar:. I hope I didn't attract to much attention to myself.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 975
Original post by zxh800
Heh, I was there in that talk. I was the one in the blue hoodie sniggering with the Tamil kid in the middle section 3rd/4th row LOL. I hope I didn't attract to much attention to myself.

I think I might of seen you, but there were like... loads of you haha.. I was sitting on the edge on the left of the 2nd/3rd row. Much of the attention was on the person in the front row though. Credit to her for speaking out, I was a bit shy to :tongue:
Reply 976
Original post by Hemzo
I think I might of seen you, but there were like... loads of you haha.. I was sitting on the edge on the left of the 2nd/3rd row. Much of the attention was on the person in the front row though. Credit to her for speaking out, I was a bit shy to :tongue:

Yea, I think I overheard her saying she was from Bulgaria afterwards! After my last exam my brain just turned to mush so I really couldn't be bothered to be "interactive". I bet Mr. Volpe is going to get a lot of prank calls though :tongue:
Reply 977
Original post by zxh800
Yea, I think I overheard her saying she was from Bulgaria afterwards! After my last exam my brain just turned to mush so I really couldn't be bothered to be "interactive". I bet Mr. Volpe is going to get a lot of prank calls though :tongue:

When I saw his name.. I just turned into assassin's creed mode since there was a master of thieves in that game also called Volpe :tongue:
Reply 978
Original post by Hemzo

Huh?
Reply 979
Original post by Groat
Huh?

You asked if I used online prospectuses to see the appearances of the uni's and I basically said yes :smile:

Anyways, did you finish your first draft Sam?

Latest

Trending

Trending