The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by Hemzo
You asked if I used online prospectuses to see the appearances of the uni's and I basically said yes :smile:

Anyways, did you finish your first draft Sam?

Ah, I was slightly confused at first! I'm trying to think of ways to market the website. :colondollar:

Yeah, I've finished a first draft and I guess you could technically say I'm on around a 7th draft making slight errors. But major changes, I'm on a second draft after my Economics teacher made a few recommendations.

I'm hoping he'll like the draft I give to him next week! :colone:

How is yours going? I look forward to results - only 7 weeks now!
Reply 981
Original post by Groat
Ah, I was slightly confused at first! I'm trying to think of ways to market the website. :colondollar:

Yeah, I've finished a first draft and I guess you could technically say I'm on around a 7th draft making slight errors. But major changes, I'm on a second draft after my Economics teacher made a few recommendations.

I'm hoping he'll like the draft I give to him next week! :colone:

How is yours going? I look forward to results - only 7 weeks now!

Err.. I've pretty much only started on planning to write my personal statement. Got vague ideas on how to start it, but I reckon it should be finished by the endish of July. Crikey! Is it only 7 weeks? Forgot how fast time flies :tongue:
Reply 982
Original post by Hemzo
Err.. I've pretty much only started on planning to write my personal statement. Got vague ideas on how to start it, but I reckon it should be finished by the endish of July. Crikey! Is it only 7 weeks? Forgot how fast time flies :tongue:

Hemzo, I recommend you start it off as soon as you can. I have started really slowly (just sitting down with it for an hour whenever I feel like it) and it's working well. You think differently about things when you go back to it after a few days. I plan on working mine for at least two weeks before giving it to any one to read.
Reply 983
Do you guys think I should read a couple of books before starting? Or start and then read books and add? To be honest, the 2nd option doesn't seem like a good idea since I'd probably ending up getting rid of vast swathes of the PS to put in stuff I've read from books.
Reply 984
Original post by Tateco
Hemzo, I recommend you start it off as soon as you can. I have started really slowly (just sitting down with it for an hour whenever I feel like it) and it's working well. You think differently about things when you go back to it after a few days. I plan on working mine for at least two weeks before giving it to any one to read.

Cheers mate, I know you are right, but I just don't want to admit it :tongue:. But I guess it's like any coursework.. It's tough at the start, but once you're in your flow it's pretty easy. I'm slightly unsure on how to exactly structure it. I've read that paragraph 1 should consist of why you want to study Economics, paragraph 2 on how you are equipped for studying it and paragraph 3 of any other hobbies/activities which you can bring to the university.
Reply 985
Original post by zxh800
Do you guys think I should read a couple of books before starting? Or start and then read books and add? To be honest, the 2nd option doesn't seem like a good idea since I'd probably ending up getting rid of vast swathes of the PS to put in stuff I've read from books.

Well I personally read one really heavy-going book with the whole idea of mentioning it in my PS, I don't even think I will include it now so it's really frustrating. However, two books I have read fit into it quite well so it's swings and roundabouts really.

Original post by Hemzo
Cheers mate, I know you are right, but I just don't want to admit it :tongue:. But I guess it's like any coursework.. It's tough at the start, but once you're in your flow it's pretty easy. I'm slightly unsure on how to exactly structure it. I've read that paragraph 1 should consist of why you want to study Economics, paragraph 2 on how you are equipped for studying it and paragraph 3 of any other hobbies/activities which you can bring to the university.

You don't necessarily have to structure like people say you should. As long as you include: 'Why you want to study economics', 'Why you'd be good at studying economics' and then your general qualities as a person it might be good to vary the structure a little. Remember admissions tutors will be reading literally thousands of these so one with a slightly different twist on it (not necessarily a radical one, but not following the same generic structure) might be a welcome break for them!
Reply 986
Original post by Tateco
Well I personally read one really heavy-going book with the whole idea of mentioning it in my PS, I don't even think I will include it now so it's really frustrating. However, two books I have read fit into it quite well so it's swings and roundabouts really.

You don't necessarily have to structure like people say you should. As long as you include: 'Why you want to study economics', 'Why you'd be good at studying economics' and then your general qualities as a person it might be good to vary the structure a little. Remember admissions tutors will be reading literally thousands of these so one with a slightly different twist on it (not necessarily a radical one, but not following the same generic structure) might be a welcome break for them!

I see where you're coming from, and I'll start work on my personal statement tommorow for sure. Cheers for the help Tat! :smile:
Original post by Tateco

Really? I did mine in an hour. Checked it over and handed it in as a 1st draft. Got a few changes to do then going to give it do an Economics teacher.
Original post by Tateco

What did you read?

You're better reading something you have a real interest in (not saying you don't in this case) than something challenging because it's challenging.

More often than not it won't work. Those three points you mention, you've got them in descending order of importance. I don't see why you'd want to start with something that matters less :wink:
Original post by Psychotic546
Really? I did mine in an hour. Checked it over and handed it in as a 1st draft. Got a few changes to do then going to give it do an Economics teacher.

If you didn't know about it already, you can also submit it to the PS Help service here on TSR and someone will give you a full review of it :smile:
Original post by Potally_Tissed
More often than not it won't work. Those three points you mention, you've got them in descending order of importance. I don't see why you'd want to start with something that matters less :wink:

Why would your 'general qualities as a person' be of more importance than why you think you'd be good at economics?
Original post by Overmars
Why would your 'general qualities as a person' be of more importance than why you think you'd be good at economics?

It wouldn't, that's what I said. I was saying that I don't see why you'd want to change it from the order Tateco mentioned.
Reply 992
What did you read?

You're better reading something you have a real interest in (not saying you don't in this case) than something challenging because it's challenging.

I read The Worldy Philosophers. And I did have a real interest in it :smile:

I don't understand what you mean? They sound like they're in the right order for me and it makes sense chronologically to talk about what got you interested and then why you'd be good at it? (Obviously you know better than me though :tongue: so please correct me if I'm wrong so I can start amending :wink:)
Reply 993
It wouldn't, that's what I said. I was saying that I don't see why you'd want to change it from the order Tateco mentioned.

Oh sorry I didn't mean to change the order, just not to be too generic, I think I expressed it wrong :tongue:
Original post by Tateco
I read The Worldy Philosophers. And I did have a real interest in it :smile:

Fair enough then :smile:

I don't understand what you mean? They sound like they're in the right order for me and it makes sense chronologically to talk about what got you interested and then why you'd be good at it? (Obviously you know better than me though :tongue: so please correct me if I'm wrong so I can start amending :wink:)

You were saying that the general order of:
'Why you want to study economics'
'Why you'd be good at studying economics'
'Your general qualities as a person'
Was a bit generic and you might want to vary the structure a little. I disagree with trying to vary it on the basis that the order you gave and I said above makes perfect sense.

Original post by Tateco
Oh sorry I didn't mean to change the order, just not to be too generic, I think I expressed it wrong :tongue:

Ah OK, in that case I agree :hat2:
Reply 995
Fair enough then :smile:

You were saying that the general order of:
'Why you want to study economics'
'Why you'd be good at studying economics'
'Your general qualities as a person'
Was a bit generic and you might want to vary the structure a little. I disagree with trying to vary it on the basis that the order you gave and I said above makes perfect sense.

Ah OK, in that case I agree :hat2:

Sorry for the confusion :tongue:
Original post by Tateco
Sorry for the confusion :tongue:

Likewise, think I might somehow have managed to disagree with something you didn't say :tongue: Or at least didn't mean.
Reply 997
Likewise, think I might somehow have managed to disagree with something you didn't say :tongue: Or at least didn't mean.

It's just down to my poor wording :colondollar: Glad to see you're so keen to make sure we don't make a fatal mistake with our personal statements :wink: I'll look forward to having one of you guys reviewing mine when it's written.
Reply 998
If you didn't know about it already, you can also submit it to the PS Help service here on TSR and someone will give you a full review of it :smile:

Are you guys happy to read them now? I was told to wait a while whilst university exams are ongoing.

Although I don't feel I'll be utilising you fully if I give you my current version. :colone:
Original post by Groat
Are you guys happy to read them now? I was told to wait a while whilst university exams are ongoing.

Although I don't feel I'll be utilising you fully if I give you my current version. :colone:

As far as I know the official word is "we're reviewing from July", so I guess so. Everyone's exams have finished by now I think.

We can only guarantee one full review per person as particularly around October to December we just don't have the capacity to do any more than that, but that's not to say no one ever gets redrafts looked at, we just can't promise it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending