The Student Room Group

Changing your Firm and Insurance **FAQ 2011**

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Good bloke
As is made quite clear in the information you quoted, the answer is no.

The point I am trying to make is that it says:

"Firm accepts you but for a different course you don’t have to accept it and can take your Insurance place/go into Clearing instead."

Therefore, as the courses I have offers from are different (Law, Law & Politics) does this not mean I am able to choose my Insurance over my firm.
Reply 281
Original post by Turkleton

Original post by Turkleton
The point I am trying to make is that it says:

"Firm accepts you but for a different course you don’t have to accept it and can take your Insurance place/go into Clearing instead."

Therefore, as the courses I have offers from are different (Law, Law & Politics) does this not mean I am able to choose my Insurance over my firm.

No. They will say they cannot take you for the course you have firmed, but can take you for a course in Adventure Studies instead. You say you don't want that and go to your insurance. They have to offer a different course to the on your offer was for.
Reply 282
Original post by hbaderman
thanks a lot for you help. further advice from other people is more than welcome
But would be pointless, as anythingbutord knows what he's talking about. The fact that he's not giving you the answers you want doesn't make him wrong.

Original post by hbaderman
does bristol do clearing?
Not usually, no.
Minerva
X

Hi Minerva.

I was wondering.
I've applied to 5 universities by April. I got 4 offers and im still waiting for one.
I got them all by May and beginning of June.

on ucas.co.uk it says:

Does that mean 30th of June since I got my last offer before the 10th?

Or will I have to wait till the 26th July because I still haven't received that 5th last offer?

thanks
Reply 284
Original post by fat to skinny
Hi Minerva.

I was wondering.
I've applied to 5 universities by April. I got 4 offers and im still waiting for one.

on ucas.co.uk it says:

Or will I have to wait till the 26th July because I still haven't received that 5th last offer?

thanks
If you still have a decision outstanding you won't be able to make your firm and insurance choices. If you don't want to wait, cancel the choice and then you should be able to.
I need help..
Now my firm choice is lancaster and my insurance is manchester,they are both conditional offer now. the requirements for these two are the same, so there is no point to do this choice. I was really stupid when I made the choice.. I really want to go to Manchester now.
So the best way is to change Manchester to a higher requirement course and put it in the firm choice and put Lancaster as the second choice.
But what should I do, if I want to do so. Is It very difficult? Who should I contact with?
I am very sure that I can get the higher requirement which the other Manchester's course requires. I really do not want to lose this chance to go to Manchester and to go to the right course.
WHAT SHOULD I DO ><
Original post by katherine s
I need help..
Now my firm choice is lancaster and my insurance is manchester,they are both conditional offer now. the requirements for these two are the same, so there is no point to do this choice. I was really stupid when I made the choice.. I really want to go to Manchester now.
So the best way is to change Manchester to a higher requirement course and put it in the firm choice and put Lancaster as the second choice.
But what should I do, if I want to do so. Is It very difficult? Who should I contact with?
I am very sure that I can get the higher requirement which the other Manchester's course requires. I really do not want to lose this chance to go to Manchester and to go to the right course.
WHAT SHOULD I DO ><

OK - if it's been more than 14 days since you replied to your offers, contact both institutions and ask for their permission to swap the two replies over. If they both agree, then both of them and yourself need to phone UCAS and confirm that everything's good to go, and UCAS will then swap the replies over.

UCAS will not action anything until they hear from all three parties.

If it's been less than 14 days, you can do this via UCAS only without getting the Universities involved.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 287
Is it possible to let's say, you've firmed your offer for biomed engineering but have missed your conditions by one mark. If they reject you, is it possible to email another department of the university for another course ie. biomed science? If you can, should you do this before you email the engineering department or after?

(I am an international student doing exams equivalent to A Levels)
Original post by hardees
Is it possible to let's say, you've firmed your offer for biomed engineering but have missed your conditions by one mark. If they reject you, is it possible to email another department of the university for another course ie. biomed science? If you can, should you do this before you email the engineering department or after?

(I am an international student doing exams equivalent to A Levels)

Once they've actually rejected you, they can't make you any offers without the permission of your insurnace choice... unless they also reject you. Then you're in Clearing anyway, and you'll be able to approach the new department without having to bother the original department.

My experience is that they will always try their best you find you a suitabile alternative if you don't make the original offer (they may of course accept you anyway) - so you might get an Unconditional Course Change offer instead from the university. In this case you could phone them to discuss the alternative, including whether or not they are any other alternative courses available.
Reply 289
hey guys, basically i want to go to a uni closer to home but the uni's i have chosen are far away. Would i be able to go through clearing to go to a uni i prefer like UCA studying fashion management ? or will i be able to transfer within the first year? i dont fancy studying in southampton :frown:
Original post by Tinkerbee
Ok may be confusing so bear with me :smile:

I got into my firm uni choice, but decided I would rather go to my insurance :rolleyes:
So I rang up my insurance uni and they said, yes they will keep my place for me, I just need to get released from my firm... and then track would change to show I'm going to my insurance...

so I rang up the firm uni and they said I needed to send a letter blah blah so faxed it to them, and asked for a reply...

I've not heard anything back yet/ucas hasnt updated etc and I have been trying to get through to them but they're busy :woo:

Anywhooo just opened the post and it has the confirmation letter from UCAS and says that I can withdraw online? I think :confused:

So can I just do that and will it put me into clearing :s-smilie: or will I then go to my insurance choice :confused:

As I still can't contact my firm choice and I have :confused: to leave for the airport at 12 :no:
Any advice? :o:

Hey I'm in the exact same situation now. Did you manage to get into your Insurance then? Did you ring them up before or after you get your results?
Hi Minerva.

I was wondering.

on ucas.co.uk it says:

thanks

Original post by Minerva
If you still have a decision outstanding you won't be able to make your firm and insurance choices. If you don't want to wait, cancel the choice and then you should be able to.

Thanks!

I'm still waiting for my 5th offer. When will the deadline be?
I applied after the 15th.
Reply 292

Thanks!

26th July. You haven't got your last offer
Reply 293
Thanks!

Original post by Juno
26th July. You haven't got your last offer
:ditto: - except that of course it's a decision you're waiting for; it doesn't have to be an offer :wink:
Reply 294
Original post by Minerva

Original post by Minerva
:ditto: - except that of course it's a decision you're waiting for; it doesn't have to be an offer :wink:

we're being positive

I didn't know this was possible. Is there anything I can do or is the decision set?

It seems unlikely. The UCAS website is very clear (http://www.ucas.com/students/importantdates):

19 July 2011

If you applied by 30 June and are waiting for decisions, universities and colleges need to send us their decisions by this date. If they don't, we will make any outstanding choices unsuccessful on their behalf.
Reply 296
"The above institution has not sent us a decision about your application by the agreed deadline. As a result your application to this university or college is unsuccessful."

I didn't know this was possible. Is there anything I can do or is the decision set?
You can try contacting the uni direct but be prepared for not getting anywhere.
Reply 297
I firmed an offer to study in Dundee, and chose Northumbria as my insurance choice. However, I have now decided I want to go to Northumbria instead (stupid, I know).

I contacted Northumbria and asked if I asked if i was to be released from Dundee, could my conditional to study at Northumbria be upgraded to a firm acceptance. I was informed that the only way I could be rejected from Dundee was if I did not meet the grades, however I am confident I have. I was also advised to wait until results day and see if I could swap, but that this may not be possible due to the pressure on places.

However, I know others on here have been told it is possible to ask a University to reject you, even if you have acquired the correct grades.

So... Should I follow their advice and just wait till results day and try to swap? Or is there anything else I can do?

Thanks
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've read that if you meet the grades for your firm, you can be released - but that will also entail being released from your insurance too. I.E., you will then have to go through clearing at Northumbria and hope & pray that there are places. I don't think you can just swap.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Original post by Lewis9292
I firmed an offer to study in Dundee, and chose Northumbria as my insurance choice. However, I have now decided I want to go to Northumbria instead (stupid, I know).

I contacted Northumbria and asked if I asked if i was to be released from Dundee, could my conditional to study at Northumbria be upgraded to a firm acceptance. I was informed that the only way I could be rejected from Dundee was if I did not meet the grades, however I am confident I have. I was also advised to wait until results day and see if I could swap, but that this may not be possible due to the pressure on places.

However, I know others on here have been told it is possible to ask a University to reject you, even if you have acquired the correct grades.

So... Should I follow their advice and just wait till results day and try to swap? Or is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

Sometimes the universities don't fully understand. Just calmly (ie, without sounding arrogant) explain that the admissions people at Northumbria that you can get Dundee to release you and would they be willing to become your firm if you did just that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending