The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
I already vowed not to apply to any Scottish universities after my experience with Aberdeen
This just reaffirmed my decision

Haha I'm staying away from Aberdeen also!

Sorry I havn't been on TSR for over a week, I have literally no excuse...
Original post by Olives
Looks like scottish universities are going to charge up to £9,000 for English Irish and welsh students..As well as an increase in A level requirements:eek:

im guessing this means most scottish students will just apply to scottish unis instead of english ones?
Original post by bertstare
im guessing this means most scottish students will just apply to scottish unis instead of english ones?

They were likely to do that anyway with the fees rising to 9k in England. There will of course still be those ambitious ones who apply to oxbridge and imperial though.
Original post by Tinth
I've booked mine for the week after results, then hopefully it'll motivate me if I get good results and I won't have to go through it if I've got AAB

Yeah that is exactly what I'm doing because I think my biology result may be bad:redface:, definitly one of my worst exams ever.
Reply 2584
Original post by bertstare

I think so makes sense really. I don't think English students really need to apply in Scotland anyway, there are so many options in England..the fees will be the same so there won't really be any financial advantage now. They won't have to suffer the cold and rain either!
Reply 2585
Original post by laurenl93
Mate I can't even remember what VR is. Lmao.

When's your test?

Well was going to book it for like this month in case I my brain shuts down over summer..and I still might..but

having started revision (VR= verbal reasoning, which I thought I was bad at til I got to quantitive reasoning - well at least I get the answers right in this section, but haven't managed to even do 50% of the Q's within the given time yet..However today (abstract reasoning) was refreshing, think I can do alright in that. And Im still not up to decision analysis...), Im wondering if I give myself extra time to prepare, will it help or will I just get lazy..??

I think the 8 UKCAT books is a good idea, where did you get them all from? I have the 2011 version, which is better than last year (yup, another zero!)

Well let me know how your revision goes ; D
Original post by Olives
I think so makes sense really. I don't think English students really need to apply in Scotland anyway, there are so many options in England..the fees will be the same so there won't really be any financial advantage now. They won't have to suffer the cold and rain either!

so perhaps less competition for us

i mean one can hope
Reply 2587
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Haha exactly this! :rolleyes:
I booked it for 1st August, just wanted it done before results, like you said but still wanted to give myself just enough time to really really prepare, but not too much time that I get lazy..

8 different books?? I have like 2 which is better than last year (zero)
LOL and UPO and this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=621992
Which will be useful i guess for extra practise if I still have time
Gotta beat my last score up like it jumped on my mama. Word to yours :cool:

Tnx for the links!
Reply 2588
8UKCAT books?! I've got one... but thats still an improvement from last year haha. I'lll start that in a week.

I've been absente pour vacation :biggrin: Twas wonderful, and I'm going to Espagnol on Wednesday. All very exciting, and means I can put off UKCAT until I get back. Although if I start panicking I may back the book to take with me. I dislike UCAS.
Reply 2589
Original post by twelve
8UKCAT books?! I've got one... but thats still an improvement from last year haha. I'lll start that in a week.

I've been absente pour vacation :biggrin: Twas wonderful, and I'm going to Espagnol on Wednesday. All very exciting, and means I can put off UKCAT until I get back. Although if I start panicking I may back the book to take with me. I dislike UCAS.

The closing date is october, you've got lots of time.
Reply 2590
Original post by Jabbo12
The closing date is october, you've got lots of time.

I've already booked it for the day before results day :smile:
Original post by highopes
Tnx for the links!

Ah no worries
We all need to murk it this time
One of the posts even said Glasgow university recommended the thread
Reply 2592
Original post by twelve
I've already booked it for the day before results day :smile:

What if you don't get the grades? I hope you do but if you don't you're gonna spend your summer preparing for the ukcat, and it could be a waste of time.
Reply 2593
Original post by Jabbo12
What if you don't get the grades? I hope you do but if you don't you're gonna spend your summer preparing for the ukcat, and it could be a waste of time.

Yeah I thought that, but I don't want to do it after results, because I'll want to (hopefully) be celebrating, so won't want to be UKCAT practising then. Its not like I'm going to spend my whole summer doing it anyway :/ Just like an hour a day or something. Tbh, if I don't get the grades, having wasted time on the UKCAT is going to be the least of my worries...
Reply 2594
Original post by twelve
Yeah I thought that, but I don't want to do it after results, because I'll want to (hopefully) be celebrating, so won't want to be UKCAT practising then. Its not like I'm going to spend my whole summer doing it anyway :/ Just like an hour a day or something. Tbh, if I don't get the grades, having wasted time on the UKCAT is going to be the least of my worries...

True, but don't you want to know that you had the most fun you could during the summer.
Reply 2595
Original post by Cheddar
Yeah that is exactly what I'm doing because I think my biology result may be bad:redface:, definitly one of my worst exams ever.

I think i'm going to book my UKCAT today for a week after results day too, and then if the worst happens i can cancel it (right?). I'll ring them up today and double-check.

Yeah, i'm worried about biology too (AQA). If i'm honest i don't think i've got the A. Enjoying summer is virtually impossible with that hanging over my head :redface:

If there's anything that can save me now, it's UMS :adore:
Hello all, I am a 4x reject. Aiming to change that with the 2012 cycle.

Do we all think lower down the league table the easier to get into or is that a load of nonsense?? Also first post, needed to join your community!!!!
Reply 2597
Original post by Doctor-to-be
Hello all, I am a 4x reject. Aiming to change that with the 2012 cycle.

Do we all think lower down the league table the easier to get into or is that a load of nonsense?? Also first post, needed to join your community!!!!

Welcome :five:

It's hard to say really. Obviously applying for Oxbridge is going to make things more difficult, but beyond that i don't think there's a massive difference.

I think it's more of a case of playing to your strengths.

e.g. Some uni's will have a high UKCAT cut-off - so if you do score highly then you have a better chance of getting an offer from these uni's because fewer people will have gotten past the first hurdle.

Some uni's will use a points based system taking into account Interview + grades + personal statement + UKCAT, and others will base it entirely upon your interview if you meet the minimum academic requirements. So obviously if you are very strong academically but you're not great with interviews then you probably shouldn't apply to the latter.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by -Taz-
I think i'm going to book my UKCAT today for a week after results day too, and then if the worst happens i can cancel it (right?). I'll ring them up today and double-check.

Yeah, i'm worried about biology too (AQA). If i'm honest i don't think i've got the A. Enjoying summer is virtually impossible with that hanging over my head :redface:

If there's anything that can save me now, it's UMS :adore:

Yeah I think you can cancel, at least I hope so I don't want to waste like £65. Yeah I did that same exam biology AQA and it didn't go well, what do you need in Biol5 for an A overall?
Reply 2599
Original post by Cheddar
Yeah I think you can cancel, at least I hope so I don't want to waste like £65. Yeah I did that same exam biology AQA and it didn't go well, what do you need in Biol5 for an A overall?

It varies every year, but last year you needed 62% (raw score) to get an A.
http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-GDE-BOUND-JUNE10.PDF

I really hope it's lower this year, because i don't think i got that much :/ I wish i could remember how my EMPA went, but i honestly can't. It seems a lifetime ago that i did it.

I didn't get a chance to find out about cancelling the UKCAT, but i'll try and find out tomorrow :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending