The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Brilliant cast plus period piece with vague flashes of Spooks and Spy films = want.

Among the smoke and mirrors, there's a brief intro to all the major players at MI6. There's Benedict Cumberbatch as Peter Guillam, head of the no-nonsense 'Scalphunters' (think the bit of MI6 Jason Statham would be in), and Mark Strong as betrayed spook Jim Prideaux. Gary Oldman is front and centre as methodical, intuitive ex-spymaster George Smiley, brought out of retirement to unearth a mole at the heart of British intelligence. Not an actual mole - that'd be weird - but a Soviet spy planted by the KGB's Karla, leaking secrets to the Russians that are costing the lives of British agents.

If you like your spies running, shooting and jumping off things - and there's nothing wrong with that - M:i 4 is where you need to be. M:i6 is a more cerebral place and Tinker, Tailor is unashamedly a thriller from the old school: a world of nuance and double-crosses; weapons-grade intellects and sudden violence.

Reply 3061
STILL haven't seen Inception. :ninja:
Original post by aja89

STILL haven't seen... erm... Saving Private Ryan :ninja:
Film fanatics, my arse. :colonhash:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

:colondollar: Neither of us has even seen half of the IMDb top 250!

Where does it say anything about being fanatical about good films? :tongue:
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Tom cruise is aging...as his acting ability is. Lol ok that's not my real reason, without getting into too much of a in depth discussion on whether any sequel is ever really needed

I just think that it's been an entertaining and decent franchise at 3 films, yeah the success of the films (would lead to the studio funding the film and the producer to want to make more) but I just never desired a fourth, sort of like Pirates of the Carribean for me

not that I dislike MI, I just never really thought of or wanted another installment in it. Can't say the same for The Bourne films though, I'd happily watch a fourth (with Matt Damon of course, which isn't happening unfortunately)

I have to say, I find your reason baffling. The Bourne trilogy tells one cohesive story that is resolved by the end, thus negating any need for a fourth installment. The Mission Impossible films, by contrast, do not tell one continuous narrative but rather isolated fragments that are often mentioned only in passing in future films, and so is set up as a franchise, allowing for creation of as many films as they want within the world.

It seems like you're basing what you think should have sequels on what you personally want to watch. Which is fine if you are, but when you say statements like "I think x should have been a trilogy" I thought you had a reason, as opposed to being bored of those films by now.

Brilliant cast plus period piece with vague flashes of Spooks and Spy films = want.

That cast is rather excellent.
Original post by aja89

:eek: you shuld remedy that Asap
Just watched V for Vendetta and oh my, how I love it!

Although, it was pretty hard to endure Natalie Portman's terrible english accent. It was like a mix of a south american/south african/australian accent :/
Original post by sheep_go_baa
south american

Peruvian?
Original post by Jace Falco
Peruvian?

Anything and everything at times except British...
I have a Lovefilm trial.

Any recommendations? :awesome:
Reply 3072

Gary Oldman in a lead role? :eek:
Reply 3073
Original post by Aj12
I just don't like him as an actor. Can't explain it. He just irritates me.

I have the same dislike of Michael Cera. :sadnod:

I thought he was perfectly apt for the role he was given in Superbad, but beyond that he's seemed like "Michael Cera playing Michael Cera".

That's not always a bad thing (Ben Affleck isn't as bad as critics make out, and he does it extensively), but I just find his voice and style of comedy grates. Just like Justin Long's did.

Original post by pinkpenguin
Just watched Inception again with brother. Fab film, still a little bit confusing, even on the 5th time.

I didn't find it particularly confusing on the first watch, in all honesty.

You're one of the worst offenders, so don't start. :talkhand:

Original post by Madjackismad
I have a Lovefilm trial.

Care to be more specific in terms of genre/recent films/classics etc? :beard:

Although, it was pretty hard to endure Natalie Portman's terrible english accent. It was like a mix of a south american/south african/australian accent :/

I've watched it several times now, and haven't noticed her accent as jarringly bad. :dontknow:
Original post by Madjackismad
I have a Lovefilm trial.

I just got Tangled and The Fighter in the post today from my free trial :tongue:
Reply 3075
Original post by cambo211
I just got Tangled and The Fighter in the post today from my free trial :tongue:

Tangled was rather charming and good. Definitely one of the better Dreamworks films in recent years.

That said, I'm still not sure quite how its budget was so astronomical.
Original post by zjs
Tangled was rather charming and good. Definitely one of the better Dreamworks films in recent years.

That said, I'm still not sure quite how its budget was so astronomical.

It was an amazing Dreamworks film. Although that's because it was made by Disney.
Reply 3077
Original post by cambo211
It was an amazing Dreamworks film. Although that's because it was made by Disney.

I meant Disney. :unimpressed:
:K:

Original post by Aj12
You know I like it. I just really really hate Michael sera

Don't like him either tbh. It's just the same character in every film. Scott Pilgrim was a little different but nothing vastly different. He's being typecast just like Seth Rogen. Except in Seth's case I don't mind it as much. I just don't like the dumbfounded and passive characterisation that features in Michael Cera's films. Reminds me of a gaping fish.

Also, sorry about last night. Erm, I don't like them in particular. Used 'Ape' once and it's just stuck across accounts on the interwebs.

Original post by zjs

That's not always a bad thing (Ben Affleck isn't as bad as critics make out, and he does it extensively), but I just find his voice and style of comedy grates. Just like Justin Long's did.

Talking of Ben Affleck, that man has a real talent for writing. He should use it more.

Hugo Weaving is arguably the best thing about that film yet he's not seen in the film for even a second. A mark of his greatness. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest