The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3080
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Don't like him either tbh. It's just the same character in every film. Scott Pilgrim was a little different but nothing vastly different. He's being typecast just like Seth Rogen. Except in Seth's case I don't mind it as much. I just don't like the dumbfounded and passive characterisation that features in Michael Cera's films. Reminds me of a gaping fish.

Also, sorry about last night. Erm, I don't like them in particular. Used 'Ape' once and it's just stuck across accounts on the interwebs.

Talking of Ben Affleck, that man has a real talent for writing. He should use it more.

Hugo Weaving is arguably the best thing about that film yet he's not seen in the film for even a second. A mark of his greatness. :tongue:

Dw bout it. Just assumed you'd gone to bed.
Reply 3081
Don't like him either tbh. It's just the same character in every film. Scott Pilgrim was a little different but nothing vastly different. He's being typecast just like Seth Rogen. Except in Seth's case I don't mind it as much. I just don't like the dumbfounded and passive characterisation that features in Michael Cera's films. Reminds me of a gaping fish.

At least Seth Rogen's character is amusing, while the man himself has a talent for improv.

Ape Gone Insane
Also, sorry about last night.

:hubba:

Ape Gone Insane
Talking of Ben Affleck, that man has a real talent for writing. He should use it more.

Agreed. Good Will Hunting and The Town both had excellent scripts, to name a couple.
Really loving LA Noire :coma:
Reply 3083
Original post by zjs

Agreed. Good Will Hunting and The Town both had excellent scripts, to name a couple.

And Gone Baby Gone.

Wasn't Good Will Hunting primarily Damon's brainchild, though?
Reply 3084
Original post by Abiraleft
And Gone Baby Gone.

Wasn't Good Will Hunting primarily Damon's brainchild, though?

Gone Baby Gone is really good, had never heard of it when I got it but I was pleasantly surprised.

Anyway I watched quite a few films lately, the one's that I can remember....... (I had been searching for an emotional film which is why some of the films are a bit random :colondollar:)

The Blind Side - Was pretty good, Sandra Bullock was good, cringed at a few scenes and wasn't as emotionally moving as I had expected, but a good film nonetheless. The fact that this was based on a true story made it much better.

Dead Poet's society - I have never been into films like this but I found it pretty enjoyable, two or three powerful scenes in this. Ethan Hawke looks funny in this :lol:

My Sister's Keeper - I have never liked watching children get hurt etc so to me this film was fairly emotionally moving. Probably would have been a lot more emotional if they had kept to the original ending, but after reading it, it would have been really harsh on Abigail Breslin's character, who was really good in this. Didn't really like Cameron Diaz in the mother role, I have never been a fan of her acting.

13 Assassins - This film is just crazy. :coma:

The Lincoln Lawyer - Liked it, it had a good story and it was well acted.

Wolf Creek - There was one scene in this that just really annoyed me and as a result I just couldn't like the rest of the film. So stupid.

Paranormal Activity 2 - Not very good.

Tomorrow, When the War Began - I can't remember how I came across this film but I enjoyed it, I look forward to the sequel.

Spy Game - Was really enjoyable, if anyone knows any similar films to this give me a heads up!

Priest - Not as good as I wanted it to be, not crazy enough tbh.

Agora - Was goooood, Rachel Weisz is awesome.

Film's I'll be watching in the next few days: I Am Sam, Into the Wild, Cast Away, Stand By Me, Leaving Las Vegas and Never Let Me Go. :smile:

+ My DVD collection has finally reached a 150 :party:
Original post by zjs
Tangled was rather charming and good. Definitely one of the better Dreamworks films in recent years.

That said, I'm still not sure quite how its budget was so astronomical.

Go wild. :awesome:

No boundaries.
Just wondering what everyones favourite film of the year has been so far? Mine had to be Simon Pegg's and Nick Frost's 'Paul'. Not laughed so much at a film since Hot Fuzz...
Reply 3087
Original post by Madjackismad
Go wild. :awesome:

No boundaries.

Glory | Good Will Hunting | Sin Nombre | Catfish | The Cove | Seven | Falling Down | Training Day | Crash | Layer Cake | Taken | Fight Club | Braveheart | Gandhi | Pan's Labyrinth | Slumdog Millionaire | City of God & City of Men

Original post by GeordieEdgeDXB
Just wondering what everyones favourite film of the year has been so far? Mine had to be Simon Pegg's and Nick Frost's 'Paul'. Not laughed so much at a film since Hot Fuzz...

Paul was really "meh" for me. Seth Rogen's voice just didn't suit Paul, which didn't help.
Reply 3088
I'm a big LOVEFiLM fan, just got Cry-Baby in the post today. :h:
Reply 3089
Original post by Deshi
Film's I'll be watching in the next few days: I Am Sam, Into the Wild, Cast Away, Stand By Me, Leaving Las Vegas and Never Let Me Go. :smile:

+ My DVD collection has finally reached a 150 :party:

Stand By Me is so so so so so so so so awesome. One of my favourite childhood films. :moon:

Congrats on the DVD collection! Mine has just reached 363. :s-smilie:
I'd say True Grit or 127 Hours.
Original post by zjs
Glory | Good Will Hunting | Sin Nombre | Catfish | The Cove | Seven | Falling Down | Training Day | Crash | Layer Cake | Taken | Fight Club | Braveheart | Gandhi | Pan's Labyrinth | Slumdog Millionaire | City of God & City of Men

Paul was really "meh" for me. Seth Rogen's voice just didn't suit Paul, which didn't help.

Seen 'em, bro. :p:
Reply 3092
Seen 'em, bro. :p:

Well, of the 2010 releases, I'd consider:

Fish Tank | A Prophet | Shutter Island | Brooklyn's Finest | Harry Brown | Salt
Original post by zjs
Well, of the 2010 releases, I'd consider:

Fish Tank | A Prophet | Shutter Island | Brooklyn's Finest | Harry Brown | Salt

Haven't seen Fish Tank and A Prophet so I've added them.
Reply 3094
Haven't seen Fish Tank and A Prophet so I've added them.

Prioritise A Prophet, it's excellent.

Just watched Bullitt. Utterly mediocre.

My top four so far are Senna, Inside Job, 127 Hours and Hanna.
Reply 3096
I haven't posted in here for ages!!!!! But hey i'm back for now.

But to kick things off, I'd say my top three so far this year have been;

1- X Men First Class - I know not everyone liked it but I thought it was awesome!

2 - Limitless

3 - 127 Hours

Still really want to see Source Code and Lincoln Lawyer. They fit into my category of movies I usually love :tongue:

Also watched Black Swan recently....anyone else think that was over rated?!
Original post by kflynn
I haven't posted in here for ages!!!!! But hey i'm back for now.

But to kick things off, I'd say my top three so far this year have been;

1- X Men First Class - I know not everyone liked it but I thought it was awesome!

2 - Limitless

3 - 127 Hours

Still really want to see Source Code and Lincoln Lawyer. They fit into my category of movies I usually love :tongue:

Also watched Black Swan recently....anyone else think that was over rated?!

He returns. :adore:

First Class has been pretty popular with the critics and on this forum actually.
Oh god.

Someone needs to change their avatar otherwise i'm going to get ****ing confused.
Reply 3099
He returns. :adore:

First Class has been pretty popular with the critics and on this forum actually.

I do indeed. Sorry i've been so busy at Uni this year I haven't had time to really go on here! But i'll be posting a bit in the summer!

How have you been?

Keeping on topic.....watched any good films recently? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending