The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3100
Original post by aja89
Stand By Me is so so so so so so so so awesome. One of my favourite childhood films. :moon:

Congrats on the DVD collection! Mine has just reached 363. :s-smilie:

I am jealous :colonhash:

I forgot to mention that I watched Hanna a while back, that was really good. I've seen Saoirse Ronan in quite a few films now, she is really good. I've always liked Eric Bana as well (Hector from Troy was :cool: ), was left a bit disappointed by the ending though.
Reply 3101
Original post by cambo211
Oh god.

Someone needs to change their avatar otherwise i'm going to get ****ing confused.

It'll cause a heated debate over what Nolan meant with the ending sequence of the film, one way or the other, because it's inconceivable that he could've left it ambiguous deliberately.

Original post by kflynn
Also watched Black Swan recently....anyone else think that was over rated?!

No. I thought it was one of the most original films I've seen in a long time, and one of the first that was a proper mind ****.
Original post by kflynn
I do indeed. Sorry i've been so busy at Uni this year I haven't had time to really go on here! But i'll be posting a bit in the summer!

How have you been?

Keeping on topic.....watched any good films recently? :tongue:

I guess we'll just scrap the Saving Private Flynn plans then? Were contemplating getting out a search party. :tongue:

That's understandable. Get through your exams okay? :tongue: I've been good. Just been enjoying the summer now university is over.

You mentioned Limitless, it was a really good film tbh up until the ending. Did you like the ending? I had a look at the alternate ending on Youtube, slightly darker.

Recently, hm. In terms of cinematic releases, I've watched; The Green Hornet, The Mechanic, The Eagle, Gnomeo & Juliet, I Am Number Four, Unknown, The Adjustment Bureau, Battle: Los Angeles, Red Riding Hood, Limitless, Paul, Source Code, Hanna, Your Highness, Water for Elephants, Fast Five, Thor, The Hangover 2, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and X-Men: First Class.

Looks like a huge list looking at it now. But it's been pretty mediocre. The only ones I've enjoyed out of those have been Limitless, Source Code, Hanna, Fast Five, Thor and X-Men First Class.

Transformers and Kung Fu Panda 2 just came out. But the rest of the year looks promising with Super 8, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, Cowboys & Aliens, Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol and Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

Spending some time getting into various TV shows too.

Original post by GeordieEdgeDXB
Just wondering what everyones favourite film of the year has been so far? Mine had to be Simon Pegg's and Nick Frost's 'Paul'. Not laughed so much at a film since Hot Fuzz...

I guess the above part also answers your question. :smile:

I found Paul to be fairly forgettable, if I'm honest. Yes, it's a decent movie but not the type of film I'd go back to or remember down the line.

Just my opinion, of course.

Original post by Deshi

I forgot to mention that I watched Hanna a while back, that was really good. I've seen Saoirse Ronan in quite a few films now, she is really good. I've always liked Eric Bana as well (Hector from Troy was :cool: ), was left a bit disappointed by the ending though.

Have you watched The Way Back?
Reply 3103
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I guess we'll just scrap the Saving Private Flynn plans then?

How long have you had that pun at the ready, just hoping someone who's been absent returns? :colonhash:
Original post by zjs
How long have you had that pun at the ready, just hoping someone who's been absent returns? :colonhash:

I would have used it on you but Sauver ze le soldat J.S. just doesn't have the same ring to it. :pierre:
Original post by Phalanges
Just watched Bullitt. Utterly mediocre.

My top four so far are Senna, Inside Job, 127 Hours and Hanna.

Being in Dubai, we never got Senna, which was massively disappointing being an F1 fan and all. Hanna is due to come out soon here, looks very good. Never got into 127 Hours. Another movie was X-Men: First Class. James Mcavoy is brilliant in that.
Recently, hm. In terms of cinematic releases, I've watched; The Green Hornet, The Mechanic, The Eagle, Gnomeo & Juliet, I Am Number Four, Unknown, The Adjustment Bureau, Battle: Los Angeles, Red Riding Hood, Limitless, Paul, Source Code, Hanna, Your Highness, Water for Elephants, Fast Five, Thor, The Hangover 2, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and X-Men: First Class.

Looks like a huge list looking at it now. But it's been pretty mediocre. The only ones I've enjoyed out of those have been Limitless, Source Code, Hanna, Fast Five, Thor and X-Men First Class.

I quite enjoyed The Green Hornet, although I understand why you might not have. Battle: Los Angeles, similarly, I liked it, but only as a science-fictiony action jaunt that felt like a video game. I'm slightly unsure how you can have disliked Unknown, but fine. What I really don't get is how you managed not to enjoy The Adjustment Bureau, which I thought was really good, definitely one of the better films to have come out this year.

Transformers and Kung Fu Panda 2 just came out. But the rest of the year looks promising with Super 8, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, Cowboys & Aliens, Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol and Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

Don't forget Captain America, Apollo 18, Johnny English Reborn and everything else you're missing in that list :h:
Reply 3107
Have you watched The Way Back?

Not yet, I've been meaning to watch that and True Grit though. Might order them now actually. Is it any good?
Original post by Jace Falco
I'm slightly unsure how you can have disliked Unknown, but fine. What I really don't get is how you managed not to enjoy The Adjustment Bureau, which I thought was really good, definitely one of the better films to have come out this year.

Unknown was predictable and dragged. Adjustment Bureau was one of the year's biggest disappointments. From the catalogue of well executed Philip K Dick adaptations; Total Recall, Blade Runner and Minority Report and the promised Bourne meets Inception tagline, it failed to deliver on both fronts. Of course, it was not meant to be a strict adaptation so it took some liberties being a science fiction thriller with elements of a romance.

However what we got instead was a poorly executed concept, a poor romance and a mish mash of scenes shoddily edited together. The only thing that kept the film alive was Matt Damon. It had so much potential.

Seriously disappointing film.

Don't forget Captain America, Apollo 18, Johnny English Reborn and everything else you're missing in that list :h:

They're in the 'wait and see' category.

Original post by Deshi
Not yet, I've been meaning to watch that and True Grit though. Might order them now actually. Is it any good?

Absolutely. One of the best films of last year IMO and yet the least talked about. It's a really good film about survival.
Reply 3109
Watching Limitless is making me want to take illicit substances in the off-chance that they might unlock the entirety of my brain for me... that was the point, right?
Original post by zjs
Watching Limitless is making me want to take illicit substances in the off-chance that they might unlock the entirety of my brain for me... that was the point, right?

The ending did sort of perplex me in that regard.
Reply 3111
I guess we'll just scrap the Saving Private Flynn plans then? Were contemplating getting out a search party. :tongue:

That's understandable. Get through your exams okay? :tongue: I've been good. Just been enjoying the summer now university is over.

You mentioned Limitless, it was a really good film tbh up until the ending. Did you like the ending? I had a look at the alternate ending on Youtube, slightly darker.

Yeah exams went great thanks! Well on my way to applying to post grad Medicine!! And yours?!

I agree it was a great film, with an awesome concept, and very motivational....I watched it in the revision period :P I also think the ending was a bit disappointing! Although I do wonder this days if I tend to expect to much from a film ending. I love films that mind **** you at the end, things like The Prestige, and Shutter Island, where the more you watch them the bette they get. So when I watch something like Limitless (even though the films are nothing a like, but have the same mystery/thriller genre) I think I always want an ending to exceed my expectations and shock me in some way. If you get what I mean?

It's a longer list than mine! How was I am Number Four? I always thought the trailor looked good, but the reviews seem to say otherwise.

Spending some time getting into various TV shows too.

I can't wait for this to come out! The first one was one of my favourite films of 2009

What I really don't get is how you managed not to enjoy The Adjustment Bureau, which I thought was really good, definitely one of the better films to have come out this year.

I'm not sure where you get this idea from. I agree it was enjoyable to watch to a certain extent. However in my opinion it wasn't one of the best films of the year at all. I think the only thing that kept the film going was the concept. Althogh for a film that promised so much, the concept wasn't executed very well at all. The whole romance side of the film really spoilt it.
Reply 3112
The ending did sort of perplex me in that regard.

I was quite amazed that they got away with the blood slurping scene. Seemed like a good campaign poster for "how to get AIDS really, really, quickly".

Spoiler

Oh drat, kflynn has resurfaced and my stolen avatar now sticks out like a sore thumb.

Original post by GeordieEdgeDXB
Being in Dubai, we never got Senna, which was massively disappointing being an F1 fan and all. Hanna is due to come out soon here, looks very good. Never got into 127 Hours. Another movie was X-Men: First Class. James Mcavoy is brilliant in that.

Oh really? What the release schedule like in Dubai, do you get many films? Senna is quite a recent film for most of the world, so if you're only about to get Hanna I guess you might get it later down the line?

Original post by zjs

That's not how brains work, sadly. It's the scientific equivalent of someone getting pregnant from a toilet seat.
Reply 3114
Oh drat, kflynn has resurfaced and my stolen avatar now sticks out like a sore thumb.

I didn't even notice you stole my avatar until now. I better get searching for a new one to be honest.....I'm getting bored of this one!
Reply 3115
That's not how brains work, sadly. It's the scientific equivalent of someone getting pregnant from a toilet seat.

I didn't think it was actually possible. :colonhash:

I liked that using five times your brain capacity suddenly turns you into an unparalleled genius.

This scene is, imo, one of the best in cinema for raw emotion:

Original post by kflynn
Yeah exams went great thanks! Well on my way to applying to post grad Medicine!! And yours?!

Went well as well. Missing it already, dare I say. :tongue:

Post grad medicine eh? Best of luck with it and the UKCAT! What did you do as the undergraduate degree?

I agree it was a great film, with an awesome concept, and very motivational....I watched it in the revision period :P I also think the ending was a bit disappointing! Although I do wonder this days if I tend to expect to much from a film ending. I love films that mind **** you at the end, things like The Prestige, and Shutter Island, where the more you watch them the bette they get. So when I watch something like Limitless (even though the films are nothing a like, but have the same mystery/thriller genre) I think I always want an ending to exceed my expectations and shock me in some way. If you get what I mean?

It's what everyone secretly wants tbh. :tongue:

Yeah, I understand. You want that little extra at the end of the roller-coaster. I like a dash of ambiguity in endings. Just something you can ponder on when you walk away from the film rather than say, a shot of Shia La Beouf making out with Megan Fox on a car bonnet as the camera begins to pan.

It's a longer list than mine! How was I am Number Four? I always thought the trailor looked good, but the reviews seem to say otherwise.

I did hate on the film and lead actor a bit. But it's your typical teen film. It's more a guilty pleasure than a good film.

I can't wait for this to come out! The first one was one of my favourite films of 2009

He pulls off Sherlock so damn well. The part is made for him. And I have to ask a question I ask most people, have you watched the BBC TV series, Sherlock?
Reply 3117
Went well as well. Missing it already, dare I say. :tongue:

You can say that....i'm missing it too.

Post grad medicine eh? Best of luck with it and the UKCAT! What did you do as the undergraduate degree?

I'm still in the middle of my degree (biomedical science) so i'll be applying in October for 2012 entry. I'm dreading the UKCAT :afraid:

He pulls off Sherlock so damn well. The part is made for him. And I have to ask a question I ask most people, have you watched the BBC TV series, Sherlock?

Totally agree. Lets just hope this next instalment is a good as the first. I always fear sequel's because there is so much expectation to deliver.

And I kept hearing awesome things about that TV series, I really must watch it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3118
Sherlock was my big surprise of 2009. My brother dragged me to the cinema to see it and I absolutely loved it!

Oh really? What the release schedule like in Dubai, do you get many films? Senna is quite a recent film for most of the world, so if you're only about to get Hanna I guess you might get it later down the line?

We get all the big ones, sometimes even before the States or the UK (Harry Potter publicly premiered here before the rest of the world - I was there :biggrin:). Because Senna was a limited movie, we never got it. Just have to wait for the Dvd or something. Some movies come out AGES after the UK, I'm talking years. The film 'Doghouse' (Danny Dyer, Noel Clarke) came out in 2009, yet it's just being advertised out here, halfway through 2011. Movies can also be cut (Black Swan was so cut, cinemas stopped showing it).

Quick Reply

Latest