The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nightmare91
That's funny, everyone over here is supporting Nadal and i am one of the few ones who cheer for Djokovich. Nadal has won everything, time for a new one! Otherwise tennis will become boring if it's always between Nadal and Federer...

Klar helfe ich dir mit deinen Deutsch Hausaufgaben :smile: Bin dann so gegen 19.00 your time da für dich :wink: :smile:

Aha once again you sound just like me! That is EXACTLY what I've been saying, down to the letter! Hey, Nadal's girlfriend with the dark curly hair looks almost EXACTLY like my younger sister :lolwut:

Ahja aber vielleicht ess ich dann oder bin mit meiner Familie. Warum, was machst du dieses Abend? Ich werd versuchen, soviel wie moeglich selbst zu machn. Ich bin schon so muede und hab Kopfschmerz :frown: vllt haette ich nicht so spaet ins Bett gehn sollen...
Original post by such_a_lady
Aha once again you sound just like me! That is EXACTLY what I've been saying, down to the letter! Hey, Nadal's girlfriend with the dark curly hair looks almost EXACTLY like my younger sister :lolwut:

Ahja aber vielleicht ess ich dann oder bin mit meiner Familie. Warum, was machst du dieses Abend? Ich werd versuchen, soviel wie moeglich selbst zu machn. Ich bin schon so muede und hab Kopfschmerz :frown: vllt haette ich nicht so spaet ins Bett gehn sollen...

That's too funny! :biggrin: some people actually find it great, when the same guy wins over and over again.... but i don't want tennis to become as boring as Formula 1 during Michael Schumacher's prime time

ich hab nichts vor sonst, kann auch früher oder später, ich bin da offen :wink: komm online wenn es dir am besten passt :smile: ich werde dich schon nicht zu viel alleine machen lassen wenn du Kopfschmerzen hast, deine Rettung naht!!! :biggrin:
Original post by dnumberwang
I am not a fan of them tbh.

Meh, at least none of you are anarcho communist

oh hi there fellow maths applicant, how is your personal statement going? I had Microsoft Word open for an hour before and all I'd written was "proof" :facepalm2:

I've never understood how people can not support Amnesty. Which article of the UDHR do you have an issue with? I've been having long and circular death penalty debates with a friend recently.

Finishing a decent first draft is my plan for today. I've written an I-love-maths paragraph, a competitions paragraph, a look-at-me-I-took-higher-early paragraph, am still to do a books paragraph and an I-venture-out-my-bedroom-occasionally (aka extracurrics) paragraph. So far today I got up at 11, had a shower at 12, and am yet to write a word. I've also lost my plan. :facepalm:

Original post by candide
The biggest problem for the SNP is going to be how we define "Scottishness." It's all well and good being 'civic' nationalists, open to all races and religions, but there has to be something which defines an independent Scotland as 'not-English.' Now I would say that part of that is left-wing values and more tolerance and openness to people but also there has to be some recognition of Scotland's distinct history. Scots/Lallans/Doric etc all suffer from the status (however wrong) of being mere dialects of English; in the same Scotland sufferes from the status at present (however wrong) of being a parasitic province of England/Britain. The post 1921 independent Ireland's support for Irish was necessary to assert its not-Englishness (in spite of being mostly English-speaking); by the same token, an independent Scotland is really going to have to work to build up Gaidhlig's speaker base in order to have somekind of connection to its pre-English past. Without gaidhlig we may as well be an accented England!

Was Gaidhlig spoken all over Scotland before the 1700s? I don't know, a massive switchover to Gaelic could be too difficult to implement, and too destructive to international trade. I don't think you'll see Gaelic spoken on the streets of Edinburgh in my lifetime. It would be nice if it were taught in schools more, though. I barely know a word. (I can say 'welcome to Scotland' and sing 'brochan lom').

Haha you'll probably bump into both Sven AND Chiara as we've decided to stick together throughout the day. If you see a small dark haired girl and a tall blond boy talking in German, that's probably us :biggrin: Come and say hi!

Found out last night that it's going to be RAINING on Wednesday :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown: Now what? :frown:

What else is everyone doing after the main college events end? I was hoping to go out and about around Oxford but that is so much effort in the rain....

I'm so excited, though.

And Thursday is "thundery showers". Let's just hope the forecast is wrong.

We need some code signal so that we can identify people. I suggest that we go up to people and say, "the troll sits under the rift". If they reply with the correct counter-signal, "then the time for the troll to stand has come", we'll know they're one of us. :ninja:
I bet this thread is so quiet because everyone's watching the tennis :biggrin:

Yep. I don't usually watch tennis, but there's a TV in our sixth form common room and I have too many free periods so I've been watching quite a bit of Wimbledon. I'm hopeless at playing it, better at badminton, obviously due to my ethnicity

They are def better :wink: now i have actually found a spanish stream, so now i just don't understand 95% of what they are saying and not 100% :biggrin:

Have you ever watched football with Spanish commentators? GOOOOL! GOL GOL GOL!
Original post by anyone_can_fly

We need some code signal so that we can identify people. I suggest that we go up to people and say, "the troll sits under the rift". If they reply with the correct counter-signal, "then the time for the troll to stand has come", we'll know they're one of us. :ninja:

And if they're NOT from TSR? :lol: I'm just going to carry on writing my username on my hand :smile:

Although good idea :wink:

Have you ever watched football with Spanish commentators? GOOOOL! GOL GOL GOL!

Yes the spanish ones are crazy :biggrin: but they make it more exciting. The German football commentators are the worst, they comment like it was a Curling match...
I've never understood how people can not support Amnesty. Which article of the UDHR do you have an issue with? I've been having long and circular death penalty debates with a friend recently.

Finishing a decent first draft is my plan for today. I've written an I-love-maths paragraph, a competitions paragraph, a look-at-me-I-took-higher-early paragraph, am still to do a books paragraph and an I-venture-out-my-bedroom-occasionally (aka extracurrics) paragraph. So far today I got up at 11, had a shower at 12, and am yet to write a word. I've also lost my plan. :facepalm:

I support the UDHR, I disagree with the way Amnesty is doing things. There is an Amnesty group at my school and everything they do seems pointless and misguided and occasionally biased (the guys at my school, that is).

I have a nice paragraph on how I've destroyed everything UKMT have thrown at me, but I haven't gotten anywhere else :facepalm2:

When I was meeting strangers for nanowrimo, I just told them to look for the my Oktoberfest hat... I didn't end up wearing it though, and I think that confused some people. *cough*

But everyone from TSR going to the Open Day should wear a certain color scheme. Like... erm I don't know. Or hold a paper that says 'TSR' like the people at airports. :biggrin:
That was AMAZING!
Guys, could you all try to remember to provide a translation when you write in a foreign language? You can spoiler it if you like :smile:
Yes the spanish ones are crazy :biggrin: but they make it more exciting. The German football commentators are the worst, they comment like it was a Curling match...

Or a cricket match... I don't think there is a more boring sport in the world

What team do you support then :tongue:
Reply 2151
Hey guys: I'm compiling a list of applicants for UCAS entry here if you want to be added. :u:
Reply 2152

That's too funny! :biggrin: some people actually find it great, when the same guy wins over and over again.... but i don't want tennis to become as boring as Formula 1 during Michael Schumacher's prime time

ich hab nichts vor sonst, kann auch früher oder später, ich bin da offen :wink: komm online wenn es dir am besten passt :smile: ich werde dich schon nicht zu viel alleine machen lassen wenn du Kopfschmerzen hast, deine Rettung naht!!! :biggrin:

I know this isn't really any of my business, but I find your conversation to be quite amusing.
Reply 2153
Original post by Groat
Hey guys: I'm compiling a list of applicants for UCAS entry here if you want to be added. :u:

Why don't you use Google Docs like we have here where everyone can add themselves, saving you the hassle of having to keep updating the OP. :smile:
Reply 2154
Original post by tom-m
Why don't you use Google Docs like we have here where everyone can add themselves, saving you the hassle of having to keep updating the OP. :smile:

I agree it would less hassle for me, but it's less accessible and subject to people making changes. :colone:

Amnesty have alienated a lot of people who previously supported them by supporting abortion. I don't support the death penalty or have any issues with the UDHR but this is the reason many Christians would be wary about supporting them.
Original post by Inglip
I am probably extremely late to this thread, now that its 107 pages long, but I'm going to apply for Maths and Comp Sci.

Also I'll probably be at the open day on the 7th, just to go to the talks and look around the city etc.

Undecided on the college though.

Hello! I'll see you at the open day maths talk! (I shall have a blood-red feather on my hat, purple velvet boots on, and a candle in my right hand.)

Original post by medbh4805
I understand that the situation for Gaidhlig considerably worse than the situation for Welsh or Irish, of which I am a speaker, and the the circumstances of the Hebrew revival in Israel were in many ways unique. The main issue in my mind is prestige - Celtic languages lack prestige compared to English so decline as per diglossia :sad: If there could be supplied some motivation to learn celtic langauges (as there was for Hebrew in Israel) then perhaps more people would be inclined to try and learn them. Patriotic sentiment doesn't seem to be enough :moon:

I suppose hebrew was in my mind because I started learning it last week. It's depressingly difficult for my indo-european mindset....

I've been failing to learn Hebrew recently! You see, I know all these useless words, and nothing remotely helpful for actually talking to people. So I can now say "My name is X, I am Y years old, I'm Scottish" as well as my useless words.

And if they're NOT from TSR? :lol: I'm just going to carry on writing my username on my hand :smile:

Although good idea :wink:

Well, then they'll just think we're crazy. But they'd have found that out at some point anyway.

I support the UDHR, I disagree with the way Amnesty is doing things. There is an Amnesty group at my school and everything they do seems pointless and misguided and occasionally biased (the guys at my school, that is).

I have a nice paragraph on how I've destroyed everything UKMT have thrown at me, but I haven't gotten anywhere else :facepalm2:

Big Amnesty isn't biased, or at least it tries very hard not to be. And its activities aren't pointless, if you look at this page you can see the effect of letter-writing.
(EDIT: this is a much better link than the one I gave about amnesty)
I had a slight problem with the UKMT thing, because as I mentioned before at some point, last year we only got 2/3 of the time we were meant to get and I broke my streak (a silver certificate! The shame!). And in S2 (Y9) I was off that day, and S3 (Y10) I was getting an injection, so I didn't sit it. In the end I settled for saying that I'd got best in school in every challenge I'd done, and a merit in the kangaroo in S4. Which is a little pathetic. Did you get into BMO1 this year?
(edited 12 years ago)

I've been failing to learn Hebrew recently! You see, I know all these useless words, and nothing remotely helpful for actually talking to people. So I can now say "My name is X, I am Y years old, I'm Scottish" as well as my useless words.

I've been trying to learn Biblical Hebrew, rather than modern, so I win when it comes to uselessness :lol: I've been learning all this random Biblical vocabulary king, queen, prophet, various words for God, random verbs :tongue: My course is quite "modern", though to be honest I'd prefer a more "systematic", old-fashioned course (how I learned Latin and Greek), but they're hard to find :erm:

Are you Jewish or just an obsessive judeophile like me?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MeeMee
I know this isn't really any of my business, but I find your conversation to be quite amusing.

I had a feeling another German would read it :facepalm: Oh well.....
Sorry to double post AGAIN but not too far off Cambridge now :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending