The Student Room Group

Analyst Wardrobe

As the title says. All you posters with FT offers for 2010, what are you expecting to spend on your wardrobe for the job and how is this broken down?

Probably worth stating the division you're in as this will have some effect on the amount spent.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
greenyblue_eyes
As the title says. All you posters with FT offers for 2010, what are you expecting to spend on your wardrobe for the job and how is this broken down?

Probably worth stating the division you're in as this will have some effect on the amount spent.

In my opinion, for somebody in Sales or similar, the wardrobe should have at least...

3 x suits (Navy, Charcoal and possibly Grey, (Black is for Doormen, Chauffeurs and Undertakers))

2 x pairs of black shoes with laces (always Oxfords/Brogues, recommend Loake/Church/Trickers. Never loafers)

5 x decent looking ties (not Hermes, if you're going Ferragamo or similar go subtle)

2 x black/brown belts (again, not Hermes)

10 x quality shirts, mainly white and blue, maybe a cheeky combination of the colours, the odd pink one, never yellow.

2 x pairs of understated cufflinks

1 x watch (either go dirt cheap Casio or £400+, anything between looks shiiite).

1 x decent pen (not Mont Blanc or Cartier until you're at least an Associate :p:)

5 x brightly coloured pairs of socks....for Fridays! Haha.

Will add to this if I think of more... I have most of this already, but will probably spend a few hundred for finishing touches.
what about for interns?
Reply 3
Resistance_Futile
what about for interns?

Start your own thread! :p:
Various shades of blue shirts :P
Reply 5
PorcineAviation
No casual fridays?

At UBS, the equities floor all coordinated: A&F/RL polo shirts, RL/Levis jeans, Gucci loafers. Looked hilarious.

Where I'm going is fairly traditional I think, I don't know what the rules are yet, but will find out soon.
loggins
In my opinion, wardrobe should have at least...

Even for markets?
Reply 7
greenyblue_eyes
Even for markets?

I'm talking more in terms of where I'm headed, client facing side of things. Trading is far more relaxed, you don't see Traders wearing ties unless they're proper old school, in which case they're probably kitted out with horn rimmed glasses and a white collar Gekko-esque shirt aswell.
Reply 8
Well I am going for trading & sales side so I can keep it simple, used T.M Lewin sales bargains to get some tailored suits:

2x navy(dark) suits and 1 grey for more easy going....
5-10 shirts you can rotate (blue/white) (good quality ones can be machine washed and still appear good after bit of ironing)
2-3 pair of shoes (might want 1 of them for social err ball events)
Ties 5+... well I got lots of them anyways but hardly will use them meh....as long as you have a tie that fits each shirt you have should be ok.
Belt well meh have 2, 1 for back up:P
Cufflings 2-3 pairs that do not look like some diamonds:P

Tbh it really depends how you want to look like, I just see bargain sales atm and buy once a year or every 2 years...

(in worse case scenario you can always pop into canary wharf to get something)
700 shirts @ 50p each - Chinese wholesale shop
Suit @ free - Oxfam gift-outs
Tie @ free - some string found on the street (might be a dog-leash, tbh).
Shoes... shoes?!
Watch @ free - DIY sundial tattoo

Sounds about right for a first year analyst.

Being serious now, other than a couple of new light blue/pink shirts, a Sinn watch, and maybe another suit (if I'll find anything good on sale) I won't need anything else.
I'm going to need a lot it seems. Below is for trading.

Currently own 1 decent navy suit, will get at least another with 2 pairs of trousers. Very tempted by an aquascutum one I've seen (see here http://www.miniurl.com/29113), obviously its tailored.
5/10 shirts, need some more white ones as blue bengals were my favourite up to now. What are people's opinion on double cuff vs button?
2 pairs of shoes.
2 belts.
A few ties.
A haircut.

loggins
I'm talking more in terms of where I'm headed, client facing side of things. Trading is far more relaxed, you don't see Traders wearing ties unless they're proper old school, in which case they're probably kitted out with horn rimmed glasses and a white collar Gekko-esque shirt aswell.

Absolutely my sort of style (except the collared shirt).
Reply 11
loggins
In my opinion, for somebody in Sales or similar, the wardrobe should have at least...

3 x suits (Navy, Charcoal and possibly Grey, (Black is for Doormen, Chauffeurs and Undertakers))

2 x pairs of black shoes with laces (always Oxfords/Brogues, recommend Loake/Church/Trickers. Never loafers)

5 x decent looking ties (not Hermes, if you're going Ferragamo or similar go subtle)

2 x black/brown belts (again, not Hermes)

10 x quality shirts, mainly white and blue, maybe a cheeky combination of the colours, the odd pink one, never yellow.

2 x pairs of understated cufflinks

1 x watch (either go dirt cheap Casio or £400+, anything between looks shiiite).

1 x decent pen (not Mont Blanc or Cartier until you're at least an Associate :p:)

5 x brightly coloured pairs of socks....for Fridays! Haha.

Will add to this if I think of more... I have most of this already, but will probably spend a few hundred for finishing touches.

Just wondered, why the anti-Hermes?? Because it is so cliche and potentially 'showy'/ in your face???
gangst
Just wondered, why the anti-Hermes?? Because it is so cliche and potentially 'showy'/ in your face???

Probably. One of my friends' IBD group all wear them though, even down to analysts so he has a good collection of them.
Reply 13
Do people recommend that you always bring a tie and jacket with you during summer internship in s+t. ( Possibility of networking events/ meetings etc..)
No downside but you'll rarely need them. Can just fling them over chair/hang somewhere.
Reply 15
greenyblue_eyes
I'm going to need a lot it seems. Below is for trading.

Currently own 1 decent navy suit, will get at least another with 2 pairs of trousers. Very tempted by an aquascutum one I've seen (see here http://www.miniurl.com/29113), obviously its tailored.
5/10 shirts, need some more white ones as blue bengals were my favourite up to now. What are people's opinion on double cuff vs button?
2 pairs of shoes.
2 belts.
A few ties.
A haircut.

Absolutely my sort of style (except the collared shirt).

Looks pretty expensive shop (then again I am not well informed about suits). How much you are going to pay for there?
A nice pen? Are you serious?
Reply 17
crafty bison

To be fair, I said 'decent', which can mean anything from a non chewed-up biro to a nice Cross or Waterman... Anything that doesn't make you look a scruff.
crafty bison

Consultants suffer from nice pen syndrome even worse than bankers. Highest consumer segment of Mont Blanc pens globally.

(Seriously, if you're going to be away at the clients office most of the time, you can't rely on being able to raid their stationary cupboard)
Reply 19
gangst

I don't have anything against Hermes, I think their ties and belts are actually pretty sweet. But if I were a senior Banker I'd be pretty irritated to see some spot-faced first year grad rocking up with a £130 tie and £400 quid belt. If you're buying Hermes I'd recommend avoiding anything with the giant 'H' logo dotted all over it. Anyway, if tastefully done, Hermes looks great I think, easy to get wrong though..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending