The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cambridge are onto 110 pages (2193 posts) - not much left until we catch them!

*edit* Ninja'd by such_a_lady
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by punctuation
Lots of people here are attending the open days yes.

I'm applying for St John's as well! :biggrin: Maybe I'll see you at interviews? Hmm... Anyway, why did you end up choosing it? I'm curious to know about my (hopefully) future schoolmates :tongue:

You mean the college or the subject? Well, I think I wanted a big college and I've visited oxford before. The others don't seem to grab me. BTW the Balliol JCR is a ****hole. As for the subject, I LOVE chemistry. It's pretty much the only thing I can do without making reckless mistakes. I noticed that your location is Canada. Are you applying as an international? :smile:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Big Amnesty isn't biased, or at least it tries very hard not to be. And its activities aren't pointless, if you look at this page you can see the effect of letter-writing.
(EDIT: this is a much better link than the one I gave about amnesty)

I had a slight problem with the UKMT thing, because as I mentioned before at some point, last year we only got 2/3 of the time we were meant to get and I broke my streak (a silver certificate! The shame!). And in S2 (Y9) I was off that day, and S3 (Y10) I was getting an injection, so I didn't sit it. In the end I settled for saying that I'd got best in school in every challenge I'd done, and a merit in the kangaroo in S4. Which is a little pathetic. Did you get into BMO1 this year?

As far as I know, Amnesty supports Tibetan independence, which is biased, misguided and not apolitical. That on its own is enough reason for me to disagree with them.

I have keened it out every year :tongue: I got into BMO1 this year and I got 6. Out of 60. :getmecoat: but that was because I hadn't learnt how to prove things yet. Ah well, it's a lot different to stuff like STEP or university maths
Original post by dnumberwang
Or a cricket match... I don't think there is a more boring sport in the world

What team do you support then :tongue:

Haha you mean football team? Since I am from Hamburg I support Hamburg. But usually they don't play CL so I support Bayern Munich, because they are the only German team that actually stands a chance against the big guys. In England I support Manchester United and Arsenal London :wink: As I can see, you are a ManU supporter :biggrin:
Original post by MeeMee
I know this isn't really any of my business, but I find your conversation to be quite amusing.

Oh well... As you can see we like each other :colondollar:
Original post by dragonmeister
Cambridge are onto 110 pages (2193 posts) - not much left until we catch them!

*edit* Ninja'd by such_a_lady

That is what I am. A ninja. :ninja:

Original post by nightmare91
Oh well... As you can see we like each other :colondollar:

:facepalm:
Original post by medbh4805
I've been trying to learn Biblical Hebrew, rather than modern, so I win when it comes to uselessness :lol: I've been learning all this random Biblical vocabulary king, queen, prophet, various words for God, random verbs :tongue: My course is quite "modern", though to be honest I'd prefer a more "systematic", old-fashioned course (how I learned Latin and Greek), but they're hard to find :erm:

Are you Jewish or just an obsessive judeophile like me?

Jewish :smile: Oh, those are my useless words. Though I've got a few more, like 'ear', 'beginning', 'shield'... :rolleyes:

How long have you been trying to learn?
Original post by such_a_lady
I had a feeling another German would read it :facepalm: Oh well.....

I'm now really, really curious about what's being said!

As far as I know, Amnesty supports Tibetan independence, which is biased, misguided and not apolitical. That on its own is enough reason for me to disagree with them.

I have keened it out every year :tongue: I got into BMO1 this year and I got 6. Out of 60. :getmecoat: but that was because I hadn't learnt how to prove things yet. Ah well, it's a lot different to stuff like STEP or university maths

:unsure: Not as far as I know. Maybe your school group has been accidentally letting their own feelings get through? That's happened in ours before. Check the official amnesty website.

6 isn't bad! I just did the olympiad for girls, out of 50, and we haven't heard our individual scores yet but the highest was 39 and the median was 2. I think I was around the 2 end.
I think i will help you guys to take over the cambridge thread(I have my REASONS!!).Apart from that i WILL be applying to oxford on my gap year.I already have a place at warwick for chemistry but i applied for medicine and YES i got rejected from 4 universities!!! I applied for chemistry as a back up and it was a mistake.I am not sure what i will be applying as of now.I am going to the open day on the 7th and will be staying at one of he colleges.If you guys have any questions about UCAS i may be able to help you but i am sure as prospective oxford applicants AND tsr users you may know more me already!!! :smile:
Reply 2168
I might have a little stalk in this thread even though I am applying for Cambridge. :colone:

Getting into the BMO is an achievement in itself. :u:
Jewish :smile: Oh, those are my useless words. Though I've got a few more, like 'ear', 'beginning', 'shield'... :rolleyes:

I know "beginning" from Gen 1:1 (ignore my terrible tranliteration) "beresheet bara elohim eyt ha shamayim va et ha eretz..." :beard:

I've been trying to learn it for about two years, on and off. I never really spent a lot of time at it and it always took second place to Latin and Greek. I resolved this summer to learn it properly. (I used to know about types of verbs - piel, qal, niphil etc but I've forgotten what they all mean now and how to conjugate them :getmecoat: )
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm now really, really curious about what's being said!

Oh we were just discussing my German homework, nothing special, I swear :tongue:
:unsure: Not as far as I know. Maybe your school group has been accidentally letting their own feelings get through? That's happened in ours before. Check the official amnesty website.

6 isn't bad! I just did the olympiad for girls, out of 50, and we haven't heard our individual scores yet but the highest was 39 and the median was 2. I think I was around the 2 end.

If my school group said that then I would have gone on a proper rant at them. Nah, I read it somewhere on the internet, it might have been one of the more local Amnesty websites

Haha I know, the other guy in my year who did it got 3 :smug: but I was talking to some guy on this site afterwards who got 32
How did you find it? Abstract and weird?

Original post by nightmare91
Haha you mean football team? Since I am from Hamburg I support Hamburg. But usually they don't play CL so I support Bayern Munich, because they are the only German team that actually stands a chance against the big guys. In England I support Manchester United and Arsenal London :wink: As I can see, you are a ManU supporter :biggrin:

Hamburg! yes, you had the mighty Van Nistelrooy :biggrin:

Hamburg! yes, you had the mighty Van Nistelrooy :biggrin:

Yes! I even got his jersey!! :biggrin: but he's gone now... so sad
Original post by medbh4805
I know "beginning" from Gen 1:1 (ignore my terrible tranliteration) "beresheet bara elohim eyt ha shamayim va et ha eretz..." :beard:

I've been trying to learn it for about two years, on and off. I never really spent a lot of time at it and it always took second place to Latin and Greek. I resolved this summer to learn it properly. (I used to know about types of verbs - piel, qal, niphil etc but I've forgotten what they all mean now and how to conjugate them :getmecoat: )

That's where I know it from, too. Ooh, you knew how to conjugate verbs? I think you win the Hebrew-knowing-competition. Although I can say hippopotamus.

If my school group said that then I would have gone on a proper rant at them. Nah, I read it somewhere on the internet, it might have been one of the more local Amnesty websites

Haha I know, the other guy in my year who did it got 3 :smug: but I was talking to some guy on this site afterwards who got 32
How did you find it? Abstract and weird?

32! :eek: That's amazing. I actually did some preparation (which will make my score even more embarrassing), so I knew it would be a bit insane. I managed to not give up halfway through :proud:. We had to switch rooms every hour and find a new spare classroom, which was a bit off-putting. I also got freaked out because I solved/thought I'd solved the hardest question, really easily. I think I must have made a massive mistake on that. The other girl doing it from my school thinks she got 0, in which case I may get the chance to be semi-smug.
Reply 2174
Any physics applicants ?Or am I the only one spending my time moaping about the notion of doing the PAT.
Original post by thehaberprocess
You mean the college or the subject? Well, I think I wanted a big college and I've visited oxford before. The others don't seem to grab me. BTW the Balliol JCR is a ****hole. As for the subject, I LOVE chemistry. It's pretty much the only thing I can do without making reckless mistakes. I noticed that your location is Canada. Are you applying as an international? :smile:

Haha wow I'll avoid that JCR then. :tongue: Cool! Yes I am applying as an international.
Original post by punctuation
Haha wow I'll avoid that JCR then. :tongue: Cool! Yes I am applying as an international.

Ooh Julie did you see the pictures I put up? :smile: Had you in mind!
:woo: Yay! Just finished my first/second draft of my PS. I don't know which to count it as. My previous draft was complete drivel, so this may as well be my first draft.

Original post by PCS
Any physics applicants ?Or am I the only one spending my time moaping about the notion of doing the PAT.

Have a look at our spreadsheet, I think there's a few. :smile:
(By the way, is there some way someone could add it to the first post so everyone can see it?)
Okay, who named it "the Bible"? :dry:
:woo: Yay! Just finished my first/second draft of my PS. I don't know which to count it as. My previous draft was complete drivel, so this may as well be my first draft.

Have a look at our spreadsheet, I think there's a few. :smile:
(By the way, is there some way someone could add it to the first post so everyone can see it?)

You'll probably have to ask Michael to edit his first post :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending