The Student Room Group

Analyst Wardrobe

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stowa & Hermes
^^You should start your own fund. After making some money trading. You could make alot more money and have more fun

It's crossed my mind. I will definitely look into this at some stage, probably after I've done some work exp and I have more of an insight into banking.

Original post by Ross Johnson
You do realise, that when it comes down to it, fundamentally VC is the basically the same as M&A/IBD? Youre liaising with, valuing and executing for companies in both roles. If youre not into IBD, then youre not into VC either. I'd comment that you probably dont fully understand this industry and have simply heard that Venture Capital is a nice career. You cant understand it, if youre claiming youd take a Trading role over IBD when your ultimate goal is VC...

Take it easy. You do realise that M&A/IBD isn't the only line of business that focuses on liaising with, valuing, and executing for companies?

You're right, I don't fully understand the industry, are you implying that you do? I've heard that many careers are nice, that doesn't make me want to actively seek employment within those fields.

You work in M&A, I would never work in M&A at an investment bank, don't take it as a personal attack, it's just something that I'm not interested in. My ultimate goal at this point is VC, managing my own firm. Even at this early stage in my career I can see that it would be useful to have people from a variety of backgrounds (not just m&a) when the time comes for me to establish my own business.
Reply 1181
Original post by i_hate_teeth
You work in M&A, I would never work in M&A at an investment bank, don't take it as a personal attack, it's just something that I'm not interested in. My ultimate goal at this point is VC, managing my own firm. Even at this early stage in my career I can see that it would be useful to have people from a variety of backgrounds (not just m&a) when the time comes for me to establish my own business.

You do realise that VC is a form of PE which is pretty much exactly the same as M&A but on the buy-side?
Reply 1182
Original post by Ross Johnson
Sorry to say, but i baulk at the idea of non black shoes for work... Was brought up with a "never wear brown in town" view and will continue this.

I never get this, black clashes with a navy suit. I always go brown, or more usually burgundy, with a navy suit. I'd rather seem a bit country than clash.

As for the Monks, i Find them slightly pretentious and im sure theyre just a flash in the pan trend and will be back out in a couple of years - unlike brogues, oxfords and loafers, which clearly wont.

Monks are a trend? Monks are a classic style that's been made for decades, whereas loafers are an Americanism that's been inappropriate for business in Britain until recently. Whether styles happen to have come in or gone out of fashion is neither here nor there. Classic styles are classic. John Lobb's been doing a classic double monk for far longer than any British manufacturer has been doing loafers.

Having said that, loafers are a classic style, just a classic American dress-down style (deck shoes and the like). Using them with suits in the city is far more modern than wearing brown shoes for it. Not that either's inappropriate for it nowadays.
Original post by 100
You do realise that VC is a form of PE which is pretty much exactly the same as M&A but on the buy-side?

VC isn't pretty much the same as m&a at all. Venture capital is a broad subcategory of pe - primarily focused on the launch, and early development of a business. You should probably do some research on some of the larger VC firms and take look at the type of people who founded these companies. I think you'll find that they spent more time in the communications, electronics, and life sciences industry than working 100 hour weeks in m&a.
Been thinking about taking a gap year and continuing to grow my YE company. However as its quite client facing what do you guys think of the following wardrobe for the long term. Note: Not all in on one shoppping trip. And not some spoiled country kid from Eton. Actually black and state educated.

3x Suits (2 Gieves & Hawkes of the rack and 1 Zegna) £2500
2x Braces (Ede & Ravenscroft) £120
6x Ties (Hermes) £800
8x Shirts (CT) £200
2x Oxfords (Loake) and (Allen Edmonds) £450
2x Loafers (Hermes) £900
6x Pocket squares (Thomas Pink) £180
2x Watch (Stowa) and (Vinatege Rolex Datejust) £ 4500
5x Cufflinks (Thomas Pink) £250

Total - £9900
Hey guys, I'm just wondering. Are people in trading not fussed with suits, shoes etc.? If not and a trader WAS bothered about his clothing, would it matter?
Reply 1186
Been thinking about taking a gap year and continuing to grow my YE company. However as its quite client facing what do you guys think of the following wardrobe for the long term. Note: Not all in on one shoppping trip. And not some spoiled country kid from Eton. Actually black and state educated.

6x Ties (Hermes) £800
8x Shirts (CT) £200
2x Loafers (Hermes) £900

Total - £9900

Im pretty sure that the rule of thumb is that if you are spending more on pocket squares and braces than shirts you are going to come off as a douche.

Srsly? You are going to shell out that much cash and then buy 8 shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt?? That just doesnt make any sense to me. And 200/8 = 25, dont know if even CT does shirts that cheap unless you go for single ply. And I wouldnt go single ply even for toilet paper.

And fyi, Hermes ties on a sub 25 yo scream douchebag from miles away.
Original post by hassi94
Hey guys, I'm just wondering. Are people in trading not fussed with suits, shoes etc.? If not and a trader WAS bothered about his clothing, would it matter?

As an established trader, no one cares.
As an intern & grad, normal rules apply - looks smart, doesn't need to be OTT.
Original post by acies
Im pretty sure that the rule of thumb is that if you are spending more on pocket squares and braces than shirts you are going to come off as a douche.

Srsly? You are going to shell out that much cash and then buy 8 shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt?? That just doesnt make any sense to me. And 200/8 = 25, dont know if even CT does shirts that cheap unless you go for single ply. And I wouldnt go single ply even for toilet paper.

And fyi, Hermes ties on a sub 25 yo scream douchebag from miles away.

Remember I'm not going to be working in IB with these garments. And CT does do shirts for £25. However I do see your point of being to conservative on shirts. Just not quite as fused. And industry professionals appreciate well dressed entrepreneurs. I'm not going to rub in the face of an IBD MD
Remember I'm not going to be working in IB with these garments. And CT does do shirts for £25. However I do see your point of being to conservative on shirts. Just not quite as fused. And industry professionals appreciate well dressed entrepreneurs. I'm not going to rub in the face of an IBD MD

Post in another forum if you want an opinion on entrepreneurial attire then. This is for IB... How are we meant to know what nondescript "industry professionals" want people to dress like. Personally, if i saw some teenager in Zegna suits and Hermes ties I'd think he was a massive ****... I'm in my mid twenties and i only just about feel like i pull the look off... There is such a thing as dressing your age and stringing top brands together doesnt mean you'll necessarily look good/command respect for it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1190

6x Ties (Hermes) £800
8x Shirts (CT) £200
2x Loafers (Hermes) £900

Total - £9900

You'd look absolutely ridiculous.
Original post by acies
. And 200/8 = 25, dont know if even CT does shirts that cheap unless you go for single ply. And I wouldnt go single ply even for toilet paper.

Tbf, they do 4 shirts for £100, which is excellent value in my opinion. I really do rate their shirts very highly.

Nevertheless, I do get the impression this kid has just trawled the threads here and has used aforementioned brands to concoct an absolutely horrendous wardrobe for somebody aged presumably 18. £180 on pocket squares and 5 pairs of Thomas Pink cufflinks, braces... :biggrin:
Reply 1192
800 quid on ties? rly?

....then 200 on shirts
Reply 1193
Original post by i_hate_teeth
VC isn't pretty much the same as m&a at all. Venture capital is a broad subcategory of pe - primarily focused on the launch, and early development of a business. You should probably do some research on some of the larger VC firms and take look at the type of people who founded these companies. I think you'll find that they spent more time in the communications, electronics, and life sciences industry than working 100 hour weeks in m&a.

:rolleyes: M&A is about pricing and financing a company. PE is about pricing and financing (and running if they don't outsource it) a company. VC is about pricing and financing a start-up. So they're not the same thing, but they're similar skills, similar knowledge and techniques needed, as opposed to trading which is about knowing the market and making money from it.

6x Ties (Hermes) £800
8x Shirts (CT) £200
2x Loafers (Hermes) £900

Total - £9900

Why buy AE if from UK? They are very average quality & lasts are pretty bad. Church's custom grade or C&J Handgrade please. Loafers aren't appropriate for business dress, if either watch has any gold on it stay away, I would buy button cuff rather than french as they're not that practical & are a bit too formal for me sub-VP. You can get 3 MTM G&H suits for your budget so don't know what the hell you're spending it on, Zegna is massively overpriced for what it is although their fabric is nice.

Finally, Hermes is a stupid overpriced idiot brand for people who want to look like they've "made it", their nice things are very very sparse and most just looks like you're trying to show off. Are you going to wear the tags out on all your clothes so guys know how much you've spent on them?
Reply 1195

6x Ties (Hermes) £800
8x Shirts (CT) £200
2x Loafers (Hermes) £900

Total - £9900

For suits: go bespoke or MTM outside the Row, you'll get better suits, a better fit and spend less than that.
Braces: if you really want them, go for Thurston. Much cheaper than E&R and as good as money can buy (E&R may well be rebranded Thurstons, as most Savile Row places do).
Ties: No need for Hermes or spend that, go to TML, CT or the like. Maybe get one expensive one you really like if you want.
Shoes: Don't go to Loake, they're overpriced and not great. Church's, Crocket & Jones, Cheaney and Trickers are far better. Avoid the Hermes loafers.
Pocket squares & cufflinks: Pink is overpriced, go for CT or TML, or even high street ones so long as they're pure silk. Perhaps get one Duchamp set for special occasions if you want.
Watch: anything above a few hundred quid is just flash. If you have money to burn, feel free, but there's no need other than personal taste.

If you want to be safe, skip the braces, keep the suits and shirts plain, the ties and pocket squares tasteful and the shoes Oxfords, monks, brogues or wholecuts in plain black (or dark brown to go with a navy suit). Wearing a pocket square will be enough to make you stand out for good reasons. Make sure what you wear together doesn't overdo it - it's easy to do, wastes lots of money and makes you stand out for all the wrong reasons.
Original post by loafer
Keep dreaming kid, and don't let the ugly chip on your shoulder weigh you down.

In case you were being serious: talk to your parents, they'll knock some sense into you, and point out how ridiculous this sounds.

And also, why would we care about the colour of your skin.

Absolutely.
Original post by loafer
Keep dreaming kid, and don't let the ugly chip on your shoulder weigh you down.

In case you were being serious: talk to your parents, they'll knock some sense into you, and point out how ridiculous this sounds.

And also, why would we care about the colour of your skin.

:eek: Nah, cant be.... The messiah bringing sense back into this board???
There is hope!!!
OK, guys I may have lied slightly. Thought best to say now as its gone a bit out of hand. Me and my Dad are actually starting a Materials consulting firm for engineering, and considering a clothing consultancy subsidiary. Was just wondering as to peoples views on an incoherent and inconsistent wardrobe. As bankers are typically obsessed with looking good. Admittedly I was hoping for more market research but I'll live. Cheers everyone.
Original post by PrincePauper
Are you even an analyst?? Your username would suggest your not even at university... Thats where the problem with this thread comes from... Kids daydreaming thinking this is how the real world is like.... It aint

No I'm not, I never said I was or even suggested it? I have had two posts on this thread, 1 asking if Trading analysts are very bothered about their appearance, and that one you quoted. I haven't actually talked about planning to buy suits or anything like that. I haven't daydreamed or anything. A good 80% of the people actually talking about this are actually analysts or at least interns.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending