The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Crowned Temmy

BMAT bad(just above average). My UKCAT score was average ( 612.5). My personal statement and reference was ok - scoring 9/10 and 10/10 according to Leicester respectively. I had good predicted grades:a*a*aa (maths, chemistry, physics and biology). I have lots of work experience and I've been in lots of societies (both as a member and the leader). However, I didn't do my high school in UK(I did it in Nigeria). I'm a home student though. I think UKCAT/BMAT and lack of GCSEs let me down. Last year, I applied to Kings, Leicester, UCL and Imperial. I've learnt from my mistakes though. Not choosing Kings, UCL and Imperial this time around. :smile:

It doesnt sound like your application was that bad.. you were probably just unlucky more than anything
At least you know what you're going to do better this year (so you've probably got an advantage over us first-timers! :tongue:)
Reply 5341
Original post by as_94
VR is pretty good for me. QR is very easy for me, but the timings are a bit tight. DA is alright, timings are tight. AR is terrible, I managed to answer 35/65 on the practice test, and even then I only got 7 of them right. I want to cry.

Any tips for VR? I seem to be better at the paragraphs that interest me, the one's to do with history etc, I just seem to blank out and loose interest on, oopss.. :tongue:

DA is okay timing wise I think, I did a practise section earlier and had 4 mins left to spare. The worst bit is where you have to pick words to add to the list. It's like you need to be a thesaurus, haha!
Original post by liviaaa
Yes me too! I'm doing all my practise with an on screen one though, so hopefully it'll become more natural. I agree, the QR is my most time pressured section. :/

Thats probably a good idea.. I will start doing that! :wink:
Is the on screen one the basic-type calculator??
Yeah but QR is not necessarily my worst section but definitely the one that I see to run out of time on! :rolleyes:
Reply 5343
Original post by liviaaa
Any tips for VR? I seem to be better at the paragraphs that interest me, the one's to do with history etc, I just seem to blank out and loose interest on, oopss.. :tongue:

DA is okay timing wise I think, I did a practise section earlier and had 4 mins left to spare. The worst bit is where you have to pick words to add to the list. It's like you need to be a thesaurus, haha!

For VR, I never bother reading the whole thing properly. I just look at the question, and then skim the passage to find the key phrases to answer the question.

It does sometimes annoy me when they ask you something in VR, and there is nothing in the passage to say it's true/false, so it seems to be can't tell. but sometimes it turn out to be false even though there's no evidence to directly contradict the statement, and more information is required for it :confused:
Reply 5344
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Thats probably a good idea.. I will start doing that! :wink:
Is the on screen one the basic-type calculator??
Yeah but QR is not necessarily my worst section but definitely the one that I see to run out of time on! :rolleyes:

I'm guessing so? It's only meant to be basic maths (more interpretation of data) so I doubt we'd need scientific calculators.

Yes same! QR is one of my best sections, just not timing wise.
Reply 5345
Original post by as_94
For VR, I never bother reading the whole thing properly. I just look at the question, and then skim the passage to find the key phrases to answer the question.

It does sometimes annoy me when they ask you something in VR, and there is nothing in the passage to say it's true/false, so it seems to be can't tell. but sometimes it turn out to be false even though there's no evidence to directly contradict the statement, and more information is required for it :confused:

Thanks :smile:Yes it confuses me if it's false / can't tell sometimes. :/
Reply 5346
Original post by liviaaa
Thanks :smile:Yes it confuses me if it's false / can't tell sometimes. :/

I've ordered the 600 questions book, so hopefully I'll be able to improve before I actually sit the damn thing
Reply 5347
Original post by as_94
I've ordered the 600 questions book, so hopefully I'll be able to improve before I actually sit the damn thing

Yeah. :smile: When's your test?
Reply 5348
Original post by liviaaa
Yeah. :smile: When's your test?

I haven't booked it yet, but considering the end of August/beginning of September. As long as it's after results day, so I know whether I've actually got an A in chemistry!
You?
Reply 5349
Original post by Nator
Sure thing :smile: How did AS exams go? And don't you find Decision Analysis hard? :eek:

Alright I think :smile: you?
Well I find it the easiest out of all of them- hope I haven't jinxed it or anything :P eek my exam is on Tuesday :/
Reply 5350
Original post by Quackers93
:^_^:

Erm I think I emailed them asking for it :smile: I only did it for one or two of them cause I didn't really care about the others :tongue: Took a little for it to come through but it came and was pretty useful :smile: In my opinion if you do get rejected (hopefully not) only apply for feedback from the uni's you like or would want to reapply to because each uni wants different things. And if each of them didn't like a particular aspect then you'll be left feeling really bad. But get just the ones you want and use it as constructive criticism :smile:

Reply 5351
Original post by as_94
I haven't booked it yet, but considering the end of August/beginning of September. As long as it's after results day, so I know whether I've actually got an A in chemistry!
You?

Mine's august - only because I'm away for results. :/
Original post by liviaaa
I've practised AR and am getting better, it's just about thinking up before hand of the rules that could apply like, even/odd number of shapes, shading, number of edges etc..

When's your UKCAT?

So what are the rules/parameters?

-number of shapes
-shading
-number of edges
-any more?

I haven't booked mine yet, but likely to be end of August if I can get a slot then.

Also, how are you using an on screen calculator, just the standard one included with Windows?
Reply 5353
Original post by Straight up G
So what are the rules/parameters?

-number of shapes
-shading
-number of edges
-any more?

I haven't booked mine yet, but likely to be end of August if I can get a slot then.

Also, how are you using an on screen calculator, just the standard one included with Windows?

The list is infinite I think but some others include:

-Positioning of shapes in box
-Type of shape
-Curved/straight lines
-Unique shapes
-Shapes inside another shape
-Patterns in the shape

I just use the calculator from my start menu.
Original post by liviaaa
The list is infinite I think but some others include:

-Positioning of shapes in box
-Type of shape
-Curved/straight lines
-Unique shapes
-Shapes inside another shape
-Patterns in the shape

I just use the calculator from my start menu.

True that, but thanks for compiling that, at least I'll know where to start.

Hmm, but is that the same as the UKCAT one? Once the first people come back from their tests, I'll know what it's like
Reply 5355
True that, but thanks for compiling that, at least I'll know where to start.

Hmm, but is that the same as the UKCAT one? Once the first people come back from their tests, I'll know what it's like

I doubt an on screen calculator can vary that much.. besides all I've needed to use so far are the basic number buttons and functions.
Original post by liviaaa
I doubt an on screen calculator can vary that much.. besides all I've needed to use so far are the basic number buttons and functions.

Well, one thing which irks me about the standard one, is that you can't use your keyboard to type in the numbers. So if I had to type in 38768.6 on the keyboard, it would take me 1-2 seconds, but if I had to do it manually with the mouse on the computer, it would take 5-6 seconds, and QR is the most timepressed one, so I need those extra seconds.
Well, one thing which irks me about the standard one, is that you can't use your keyboard to type in the numbers. So if I had to type in 38768.6 on the keyboard, it would take me 1-2 seconds, but if I had to do it manually with the mouse on the computer, it would take 5-6 seconds, and QR is the most timepressed one, so I need those extra seconds.

Wait.....WHAT?!??!?! You can't use the keyboard to type numbers in the exam? D:
There's nowhere near enough time to do everything in QR D;
Original post by Joseppea
There's nowhere near enough time to do everything in QR D;

Exactly! and it doesn't help that i'm slow at maths :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending